Main Menu

DREDDCEMBER!

Started by pauljholden, 06 December, 2018, 04:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Judge

Quote from: pauljholden on 21 December, 2018, 11:59:29 PM
[img widthhttp://=1280 height=1810]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Du-owOBXgAEiaxH?format=jpg&name=large[/img]

Caption contest!

"So you're from the North Pole and suspected of toy smuggling? Well this little finger will be searching your South Pole creep!"

Rogue Judge

Quote from: pauljholden on 22 December, 2018, 06:57:11 PM

I'll try that again...

1) "So you're from the North Pole and suspected of smuggling sugar cookies? Well this little finger will be searching your South Pole creep!"

2) "I hear you're up to snow good but I don't give a buck...yule never get away with it"

3) Santa immediately felt Dredd's presents

I'll see myself out now...

pauljholden

Judge Logan

Online He could be a grump, Sarcy and tend to lord it over you due to his extensive knowledge of all things dredd, but if you met him in person, he was sweet, kind, generous to a fault, charming, unerringly accurate in direction finding (ex army) and always smiling.

Raise a glass to Wr Logan aka Judge Logan aka Stewart Perkins.

-PJ
(and I apologise for the shitty sketch, I'm sure you'd let me know...)

pauljholden

Xmas got In the way... but here's a water colour dredd!

My wife would like me to paint again - last did any real paintings 10 years ago, in acrylics. This is me playing in watercolours. Water colours are nice, I've never been brave enough to do much beyond a sketch or two with them, they feel too damn dangerous to paint an entire page -let alone strip - in them. This was painted over an older pencil sketch I had lying around.

IAMTHESYSTEM

This picture of Dredd is fantastic artwork Paul. That chin could deflect bullets!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

pauljholden

And one last Dreddcember and that's me!

Trying to draw influence from some of Bill Sienkiewicz's work. Not entirely successfully, but it was a quickie drawing, so you know... 

drawn in procreate. (which means you can watch a video of me drawing it on my twitter feed, it also has an abandoned dredd sketch in there, abandoned cus it wasn't doing anything I hadn't done a million times before)

I'm finding the best approach - for me - is to block out some colours with a big blocky brush that's mostly  transparent, letting colours bleed in to each other, then go in with light colours with a brush that is fully opaque chisselling the art from that, then go over again with the same/similar colours with the transparent brush. (this is similair, I think, to how I painted in acrylic decades ago)

I've used photoshop before and it seems to handle colours the best of all the digital art tools, but it's the most expensive one out there, so it's a procreate and clip studio from me.

On the colouring front, did a little more in water including a painting of Pendeen lighthouse - from the small village in cornwall my wife is from, so she was pleased with that.

ANyway, here endith dreddcember. Maybe same time next year.

Let me know if there's any favs in this lot, might be worth exploring those art styles a bit more.

Rately

Lovely stuff, PJ!

That watercolour Dredd is all kinds of good. Love it.

As for colouring in Procreate, it looks great. Must have a wee play with it myself, and see where it takes me.

I'll no doubt watch about twenty Youtube tutorials, and then chicken out!

Trooper McFad

It's been a delight seeing all the different versions and colouring techniques. I particularly liked Mean at the start of Dreddcember and the Rogue bonus. There were a good few Dredds I liked too but I couldn't comment critically as I'm just a minion who likes comics 😁. I think draw what's good and comfortable for you and minions like me will enjoy the images.
Looking forward to next year if you go a ahead with it again 🤞🏻. Dreddcember & the message board advent were great this year and helped the long dark days of winter tumble.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Proudhuff

Thanks for this month, it's been great seeing and reading the creative process, it's a big gamble opening up on the whole process, I, for one appreciate what you've done here!
DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

I've enjoyed the hell out of this PJ, and I have nothing but admiration not only for your experimentation but your willingness to do all this in public. It's all looked fantastic and I can't wait to see what you come up with for #Xmanuary. :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Yeah just to echo what folks have said. Thanks for these its been a delight seeing them pop up and really looking forward to see how this experimenting comes into practice, hopefully in the Prog.

Rogue Judge

Thanks for posting throughout Dreddcember - I really enjoyed following along! Cheers