Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

That's pretty good of them and good business sense.

klute

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 04 August, 2015, 03:57:17 PM
Quote from: klute on 04 August, 2015, 03:45:42 PM
Been out of the loop for a while can these be bought separate or is there a chance of them being put into the online store?

You can buy the issues individually here: http://www.hachettepartworks.com/products/9372-judge-dredd-the-mega-collection.aspx

Thanks Jimbo
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

Jade Falcon

Anyone know if Helltreckers will be in volume?  I know its in the Dredd universe, though not a Dredd story itself.  I know it's a bit dated but...
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

On individual issues, don't hang about too long if the Marvel collection's anything to go by.

Hawkmumbler

Bundle Helltrekkers in with Satanus Unchained and I MIGHT actualy buy one of the Mega Collections...

IndigoPrime

I finally saw some of these again in the wild: Waterloo's WHSmith had a bunch of them, alongside 2000 AD and trades of America and Heavy Metal Dredd.

Fungus

Think I've seen every volume - including Alien Nations - in my local WH Smith, when I pop in on prog day. Always good to see Tharg's wares out in public where they belong.

The Monarch

That cannot be the same ashley wood who did those awful metal gear comics...if it is what happened? His arts beautiful in skar

Jade Falcon

Okay, I did enjoy this collection.  I'm not 100% sure if I've read Rapteur, but it seems vaguely familiar.  Both stories in that arc were nice.  Art was suitably moody and the story was pretty good.

Skar, a really good story, lovely moody art, but the story was one that could have done with being a little longer.

The Alien Way.  This I believe was one of Dredd's earlier stories.  Of course the presence of Griffin as Chief Judge shows that.  A fun little story, if a bit of a throwaway one.

Howler.  Oh dear, where do I start.  The story is.....okay.  The art however, in my opinion is horrendous.  Honestly I feel the artist was on a cocktail of some very mind altering drugs and I just hated the art.  I do in general like more realistic representations of character, liking artists like Bolland, Don Lawrences Trigan Empire, even Bellardinelli who is a little more stylised.  This though just seemed like chaos.

Prey.  If there is one fault I could find with this story, its that again it's one that seems a little short.  The nurse having an instance crush on Dredd I thought was going to be something that might be pursued (and would therefore have got her in trouble of course).  This story is really something nice and is set in an era I haven't read much of.  Top marks here

Alien Wedding.  This story had one little fault for me and thats the artists representation of Dredd's facial features, but overall another fun and slightly silly story.  I liked this.

Alien Towns Burning.  A pretty bog standard strip in terms of how original the story is, but good nonetheless.  I'm not 100% sure if I've seen this one before, but overall decent.

To sum it up, this was a really nice collection with the exception of Howler which, sorry, is one I'm just not keen on at all.  Perhaps if there had been a different artist I might have felt differently.  I might be the sole dissenting voice on that.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

SIP

Ouch.....get ready for the "Howler" defense........

Ps. It's awesome.

Jade Falcon

Well as I say, the story was okay, but I just really hate the art style.  If there had been a different style I think I would have enjoyed the story a lot more.

TordelBack

QuoteHowler.  Oh dear, where do I start.  The story is.....okay.  The art however, in my opinion is horrendous

Oh my dear boy. Treasure this comment, for it will be a source of much mirth to you in a few years time, when the scales fall from your eyes.

CrazyFoxMachine

Oooh man I used to HATE modern McMahon art when I were a lad. I was like "he used to be so cool man - now it's all blocky and abstract and rubbish" - people used to bang on about how wrong I was and I despised them for it. It was my opinion, why wasn't I allowed it? Just because he's a legend doesn't mean I should like it.

However - any dislike of highly stylised art comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of what it's trying to do. I genuinely, GENUINELY thought that McMahon had got like that because he was lazy. Can you believe that?!

It was this cover that changed my mind:

I spent hours staring at that, hours. The sharpness of it. How bloody clever it all is - how precise and effortless it all appears. Going back there's a genius to those shapes, once you realising he's boiling everything down. I will agree going from Block Mania to The Howler to now is a jarring transition but wade through his blog (WHILST WE STILL HAVE IT :O) http://tuggingyourcoat.com/ and take a gander at the process that man goes through to come out with his stuff. It's utterly unique.

But then again - art is subjective and I ain't forcing anyone to like anything they shouldn't. Embrace why you don't though - question it rather than dismissing it and you'll learn a lot!

Alternatively:

ALL HAIL McMAHON. JOIN US.

Fungus

The most fascinating of all 2000AD artists. Hopefully the blog can't end? *

Howler is one I've never "read", it's in the pile of unread Megazines awaiting a spare year or two. But I've skimmed it and it never fails to raise a smile. Main thing I've taken from these comments is that it's a good story too ?  :)

* Shouldn't we bother Mick through his blog in an effort to dissuade him? His posts are always commented upon, but you'd expect floods of praise. He's Mick McMahon !

IndigoPrime

QuoteI have decided to close this blog. It will be deleted around the middle of September.
Thanks for looking, it's been fun.

Mick
NOOOOOO. As for Howler, I thought it was a bit hmmm at the time, in my younger days. Now, though, the script comes across as absurdist in the manner Dredd often does so well, and the art has so much energy, dynamism and movement to it. It's great.