Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 28 June, 2014, 05:43:44 PM
My washine machine finished it's cycle.  The first thing I pulled out was my favourite headphones.  Bah.

You just reminded me to take two pound coins and a screw out of my back pocket before sticking my work trousers into the wash. Cheers, neebs!

Hawkmumbler

False alarm. Doctor Tim the Dive Doctor gave me a check up (on his day off I might add. Pint for that man!) and it was just some blood in my throat. You know, that one clot of blood that usually hardens in your nose and gives you a heart attack.  It had rapidly coagulated due to the cold water and naturally I coughed it up on the surface.

I should point out about now that diving is not a hobby for the screamish.

GrinningChimera

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 28 June, 2014, 07:41:06 PM

It was the gruesome details of the Byford Dolphin incident that put me off the idea.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 28 June, 2014, 08:33:26 PM

It was the gruesome details of the Byford Dolphin incident that put me off the idea.
A grizzly affair, luckily a true one of a kind incident. Plus they where diving at depths well below the recreational PADI AOW limit of 60 meters. These guys where not just teckies, but true mavericks of the job.

No, I was diving at a mere 22 meters. Sadly I was using a new form of dry suit dump valve, shoulder mounted on a rivet, rather than a ball fixed wrist dump. This means I have to manually control the release of air from my suit as I ascend much more carefully. The last 15 meters where uncontrollable after I hit the thermocline. Kept my lung cavity open, as is standard, and just took it as experience. Shallow dives for me until I get the hang of the new gear. Didn't help the neoprene neck seal leaked a little! Need a smaller under suit....

von Boom

Took the car in to be serviced. I should have known something was wrong when it took five hours to get back to me with an estimate. You could hear the glee in the mechanic's voice as she listed off the totals.

Now I have two days to come up with the money to pay for it all. Sigh.

radiator

Recently discovered that the part of America where I live is overdue an almighty earthquake - which could well be the worst natural disaster in US history. Could happen today, could happen in fifty years time, but everyone pretty much agrees that it will happen at some point.

Chilling stuff, kind of plays on the mind. Genuinely planning to stock up the flat with bottled water, tinned food and other emergency supplies. Hopefully won't turn into some crazy Doomsday Prepper in the process.

CrazyFoxMachine

Turned up for my second day's archaeology work in a looong time to find the gate to the field blocked. The chap who rents the land is here and is not happy with us driving over and digging trenches through his crops despite this all having been finalised with the actual land-owner months ago. The chap is furious though and won't be calmed down. He says he is like "christ nailed to the cross" and by just doing our job "we are the same as those that threw children and jews in furnaces".

Turns out - of course - that this is all fuss because he wants more compensation money than he's been allocated previously out of the company - there's a big faff and he demands we take our works cabin out by lunchtime and get away before he calls the police. The landowner caves to negotiation and our company tell us to leave it be and we are sent packing until Tuesday.

Second day on the job - and now nowt til next week because of some weaselcock who thinks its perfectly fine to compare strangers to nazis because he wants more money for nothing. FFFFFFFUUUU

GrinningChimera

Sick. Again. My face feels like it was run over by a bus. Could use some pain relief*

*[spoiler]medicinal marijuana. [/spoiler]

radiator

Why is drawing people's likenesses so bloody hard?!?!?!?

The Enigmatic Dr X

Had to replace the lightbulb in my car, a 5 year old Volvo.

Unbeknownst to me, it has xenon bulbs.

£60 for a light bulb. £60!

For a LIGHTBULB!

EDIT: That was from Halfords, who were less than Volvo - they wanted £96.
Lock up your spoons!

GrinningChimera

xenon or hid? If they are just xenon you got ripped off. Just put standard bulbs in for a couple of quid.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Ah, it was hid. I don't know the difference

It looked like a tin foul match box with a surgical implement poking out
Lock up your spoons!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 28 June, 2014, 08:33:26 PM

I just Googled that.  I feel really sick.

Hawkmumbler

Quick update on my holiday position. Oh, sorry, I haven't posted in....days?

Anyway, incase you haven't tpseen the European forcast, I am currently situated under litteraly the only band of rain on the continent. And it's not just raining, it's pissing it down with great aplomb.

Shit on it.

Trout