Main Menu

Byrne on Moore & Brits

Started by abc warrior, 10 June, 2006, 02:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abc warrior

The "great" John Byrne on Alan Moore and Brits.

What a twat !
Nihilistic whiners, indeed.

Link: http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12516&PN=1&totPosts=51" target="_blank">Byrne

Art

I have some very fond memories of MarvelMan, from when I was a child in England. I don't suppose I read more than a small handful of stories, but I remember enjoying them. It's a shame, then, to see characters like this fall into the hands of the deconstructionists -- especially someone like Moore, who seems to really have no story to tell beyond "everything you know is a lie".

Jim_Campbell

I'm sorry ... is this the same John Byrne who ret-conned Grant Morrison's entire glorious run of Doom Patrol out of DC continuity, replacing it with a series so dull [1] that it got cancelled in short order?

Cheers

Jim

[1] Apparently. I wouldn't have (and didn't) touch the thing with a barge-pole.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Art

I'm not familiar with Brynes work, but I se e that he gets regularly mocked as a nutcase on the V forum.

Also I have a vague idea that he's responsible for giving superman a mullet in the 90s.

Quirkafleeg

>Something happened to England after I left. The people who had fought thru the Blitz, survied Dunkirk, produced Shakespeare, carved an empire upon which the sun never set --- morphed into a nation of nihilistic whiners. "Fascist England", a term that could be coined only by someone who had never personally experienced Fascism.

>What the %#^# happened?

Come back Byrne, we need you!!!

Art

Art

And from of his mates: "England, has now been thoroughly destroyed. Culturaly. Demographically. Even the Union Jack is considered "Racist" these days. The London mayor is straight up Marxist Communist. The major last sculpture put in there was a giant pebble. I really can not fathom more insane a diametrically opposed political switch than the one from the Tatcher years, and the current Tony Blair years. "

Remember: true Brits live in the South of France and return only on election years to vite BNP.

Quirkafleeg

Jesus... reading down the thread, he's REALLY got it in for Moore... it looks horrifically like jealousy

Quirkafleeg

>I do wonder how an amazing woman like Tatcher survives witnessing her country being turn to shreds, piece by piece, by anarchic nihilists every single day... sweet lord.

On first reading I had assumed he was taking the piss... but looking at it again I'm coming round to thinking he may be serious...

Bloody ex-pats!

nxylas

AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Art

TBH I do have a tendancy to encounter ex-pats who've been abroad a long time and think "Wow, I hope I don't end up like you". Theres a sort of weird, preserved-in-time quality to them when it comes to anything UK-related.

The Amstor Computer

Well, having had the dubious pleasure of reading plenty of Byrne's online rants and some of his recent work, I'd be upset if he thought modern Britain was a country that shared his "values"...

Matt Timson

I used to love John Byrne's stuff as a kid- especially his run on the Fantastic Four- but when did he go all Bob Layton?

I just can't understand people like that- I really can't.  'Jealousy' would be my best bet too...
Pffft...

GordonR

"I'm sorry ... is this the same John Byrne who ret-conned Grant Morrison's entire glorious run of Doom Patrol out of DC continuity, replacing it with a series so dull [1] that it got cancelled in short order?"

Yes, but you're missing the point, Jim.  What Byrne was doing was returning the series to its CORE CONCEPT (he bangs on a lot about this in that thread), something which we Evil Brits seem to take great delight in twisting and destroying to suit our usual Perfidious Albion natures.

Wils

Wasn't it Byrne who was slating the Fantastic Four film purely on the fact that it had a latino woman with blonde hair [gasp] playing Sue Storm?