Main Menu

50Hz vs 60Hz?

Started by Keef Monkey, 02 May, 2006, 08:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

This is probably a dumb question but I'm not hugely technically minded! Just discovered my tv supports 60Hz NTSC, so was wondering with games like Rogue Trooper that give you the option to use this, which is actually better?

longmanshort

Well, if it Hz then stop picking at it!

;)
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Keef Monkey

Technically none the wiser, but that did make me laugh!

Woolly

60Hz runs at a speed of 30 frames per second, thus resulting in a smoother game.

50Hz runs at 25 frames per second, but uses more lines on your tv set to give a brighter, better defined picture.

My advice is to try them both. Personally i prefer 60Hz, but the gaming experience should be pretty much the same either way.

Hope this helps, dude!

Keef Monkey

Pyroxian

PAL 60hz looks better than 50hz, and the game should run smoother (60 frames per second instead of 50).

Most games should play the same whether in 50 or 60hz though.

Steve

Max Kon

50hz is likely to cause epileptic seizures, while 60hz is not.

60hz is the American standard
50hz is the UK standard

VampiraJen

you know, sometimes my not ancient but not cutting edge telly will play in 60, sometimes it wont, depending on the game.   i have to be honest and say i couldn't see a difference.  i tend not to notice things like frame rate.

btw, what does 'tilt' mean.  cos i've noticed that's part of the rating on gamespot, and i have no idea what it means...

philt

Tilt? I know that on NTSC TV's with all their 60 Hz 525 line blurriness there is a tint control which allows you to adjust the TV colour as believe it or not the NTSC picture hue is influenced by the angle of the recieving aerial from the transmitter or even what the weather is like. Ah the joys of 1950's technology

Keef Monkey

Well, going with the 60hz and it does seem a little smoother, although my mind could be playing tricks on me. Thanks to all for the advice, I guess you do learn something new every day!

Radbacker

I reckon its easy to tell the diff, cant stand palying any games on 50Hz any more, just seems that bit too slow and out of synch.
Now lets get really confusing, whats the difference between 1080i & 1080p, 780i & 780p High Definition displays(I really would like to know as High def confuses the crap out of me and I need to upgrade for my 360)

CU Radbacker

test 4 echo

Need to upgrade?

Remember the good old days when you just plugged the console in and laughed at the PC gamers having to upgrade the graphics card to play the new games...have they ended already? Now console gamers have to upgrade the TV.

Jen - I think the "Tilt" on gamespot is just an option for the reviewer to say if they enjoyed the game, pretty sure I read it somewhere but can't be 100%.

Radbacker

to be fair you dont have to upgrade your T.V but if you wanna get the most out of the new consoles(xbox360 and ps3) you should heve a swanky new high def T.V, its just that there is no base standard for hIGH dEF t.v'S i dont know which way to go?
Of course if its just a NinWii you can use current def T.V's

CU rADBACKER

Dan Kelly

1080/780 are the number of lines that are available for the unit to scan.  More is obviously better

the i/p stand for interlace/progressive and relates to the way the changes are made to the picture.

Progressive Scan is apparantly better than Interlace, so the top end HD screens must be able to do 1080p in order to qualify.  XBox only goes to a max of 1080i output.  PS3 claims to do 1080p.

Keef Monkey

The plot has thickened: if I play on 60hz then it is smoother but the bottom of the picture gets cut off whatever zoom setting I put the telly on. Probably just being an idiot so I'm gonna go and press a few buttons to see what happens.