Main Menu

Women don't age in dredd universe?

Started by Suede1971, 22 August, 2018, 07:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 August, 2018, 04:38:23 PM
it's very... white. And very, very male. It'd be lovely to see that change.

I'm willing to be called and corrected on this but isn't it fair to say that Ezquerra's renditions tend toward the more diverse?

Sinx

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 August, 2018, 09:27:16 PM
Quote from: Frank on 22 August, 2018, 08:42:59 PMNobody reeks of body odour and excreta anymore, even though absolutely everyone did only a century or so ago.

My regular commute begs to differ.
Or one of my immediate office colleagues  :lol:  :'(

JayzusB.Christ

I was only thinking about this yesterday.  I seem to remember a (Boo-Cook-illustrated, possibly) strip where Anderson contemplates her middle aged face in the mirror.  Her reflection does indeed look middle-aged, but oddly, the face looking at it doesn't.

Alan Grant kind of shot himself in the foot by suggesting that all judges except Psis take age-slowing drugs (while Psis spend most of their downtime on amphetamines).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Tjm86 on 24 August, 2018, 08:06:21 AMI'm willing to be called and corrected on this but isn't it fair to say that Ezquerra's renditions tend toward the more diverse?
One of the most interesting thing about Dredd is that Ezquerra initially rendered him as a black man. In a more general sense regarding his strips specifically and diversity, it'd be wrong to comment without looking at a recent selection of his work. Looking at Dredd overall, there's a blog series about the women in Dredd that is eye-opening and rather depressing in equal measure.

On the ageing side of things, Dredd's world has also changed a lot over time, presumably to deal with Dredd himself now being very old indeed. So you used to have people in MC1 being very old, but looking that part. Now, 70 is seen as being more like 40. But even then, you have to look at how people are being represented, and Anderson looking like a 20-year-old supermodel is ridiculous. (And that so many strips still have the 'loads of bloke Judges and the only woman is a Psi is just deeply irritating.)

Steve Green

As an early example of aging not being what it used to be.

Bizmo Klux looked pretty good for a 134 year old. Sure he's a cyborg, but the fleshy bits are looking pretty spry. Or were. Or will be.

JayzusB.Christ

There was a Council of 5 member, can't remember her name (Margaret something-or-other?), who was introduced as a normal-looking middle-aged woman but under a different artist became a hot young babe.  Think she was one of Francisco's people; though she could have come in under Sinfeld.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 24 August, 2018, 05:10:55 PM
There was a Council of 5 member, can't remember her name (Margaret something-or-other?), who was introduced as a normal-looking middle-aged woman but under a different artist became a hot young babe.  Think she was one of Francisco's people; though she could have come in under Sinfeld.

The Curious Case Of Margaret Stalker

TordelBack

Nice one,  Frank!

I thought Beeby & Dyer's Anderson was an excellent attempt at depicting a more mature version, both in looks and role. But again we're in golden goose territory: wasn't long before she was back on pin-up model.

Link Prime

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 24 August, 2018, 05:10:55 PM
though she could have come in under Sinfeld.

I knew March wasn't a Gruddamn clone!

Mardroid

Maybe  Cassie is using her telepathic powers to alter people's perceptions, to make herself look younger than she is. Went she would make her uniform look like it's painted on, makes little sense from a female perspective though... unless it's to keep perps distracted...

Frank

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 August, 2018, 10:23:36 AM
One of the most interesting thing about Dredd is that Ezquerra initially rendered him as a black man.

According to Carlos in Judge Dredd: The Mega-History, he gave Dredd "large lips – to put a mystery as to his racial background.'' but I believe it was Mick McMahon who thought he was black.

Geoff

I really don't care about how many male or female judges are depicted or the different races. Or whether some artists portray Anderson as older (like Rob Dowling did brilliantly) and others as a sexy young woman.  It's more than that though, I don't think it would even occur to me to wonder.

I entirely understand that others do, and that my lack of interest in this sort of thing may represent certain limitations on my part. But I'm interested if anyone else on here is equally unconcerned with this sort of thing?

Frank

Quote from: Geoff on 24 August, 2018, 07:27:48 PM
I really don't care about how many male or female judges are depicted or the different races. Or whether some artists portray Anderson as older (like Mike Dowling did brilliantly) and others as a sexy young woman.  It's more than that though, I don't think it would even occur to me to wonder.

I entirely understand that others do, and that my lack of interest in this sort of thing may represent certain limitations on my part. But I'm interested if anyone else on here is equally unconcerned with this sort of thing?

Yep, although that also means I wouldn't be bothered if Tharg decided the cast of every strip should look like a combined ad for the NAACP, Mencap and Help The Aged.

Doesn't matter.

Greg M.

Surely most of the best Dredd supporting characters are women or non-white? (I appreciate this is sometimes only to make them visually dissimilar to Dredd.) Nonetheless, given that context, I'm not sure it matters so much if artists mostly tend to default to white blokes for random background judges.