Main Menu

Ennis place your bets.

Started by Devons Daddy, 21 January, 2003, 05:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Wether you want it ir not, Ennis is doing Dredd again.

I think that this has gotta be 'put up or shut up' from Garth. If this story don't make the grade he really should just accept he can't do Dredd and leave well alone.

Also it's not a good thing that Higgins is drawing it, I used to really like his stuff (the Otto Sump art was OK I suppose), but latley it's become lacking...  time will tell.

Mangamax

What cruical point? That he can write Dredd? So can Ennis.
Point (a) If Wagner had written Helter Skelter it would have been very different but if the basic premise was still the same would you all have slagged it off so much?
Point (b) If Ennis was as loathed as a writer as you're all suggesting, what are editors doing commisioning and then running his material?
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

W. R. Logan

Do we all dislike Ennis' Dredd's or is has it just become fashionable to say that his run whilst Wagner was on his long walk was complete crap. Indeed he wrote many a bad Dredd but there are a few good ones tucked away amongst them.

Although I have some trepidation about Ennis doing a story set in 2099 I think its time to give the man a break and not keep harking back to the stuff he did over 12 years ago.

I may not be the biggest fan of Ennis? Dredd period but it does seem to be the fashionable thing to do and we do go on about it repeatedly. Save the piss and vinegar for Millar & Morrison they really did shite Dredd?s 8-)

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/index.php3?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=GARTHE" target="_blank">Garth Ennis

http://www.2000adonline.com/images/page/garthe.jpg">

Wood

I actually quite liked Ennis' Dredds (and really liked his take on Hellblazer). Helter Skelter wasn't brilliant, but it's no worse that *choke* Dredd vs. Aliens.

So I'm voting a Big, Fat, FOR.

paulvonscott

To be honest Logan I think he's had more breaks than a brittle boned lemming.  Also I'm happy to leave the twelve year old stuff and hark on about stuff he did a few years ago, his SECOND poor epic.  

As for Morrison and Millar at least they didn't come back.  So yes, it is easy to put that stuff behind me, as it would be for Ennis' Dredd if it wasn't coming back.

I'm as happy for people to say they like Ennis' stuff as for them to say they dislike it.  A sizeable portion of people don't like his stuff and just to dismiss them out of hand as following some fad is a bit patronising.  I don't believe people who like Ennis are mad, on drugs or dumb, it's just what they like.

As for mangamax:
A)  Wagner did write it back in 83 Dredd Annual and it was a pretty entertaining read.  One of the regular annual silly stories.
B)  No, lots of people like Ennis' stuff, he's very big in America and I'm sure still has a sizeable following among some 2000AD readers, though perhaps not as much for his 2000AD work.  The only reason I can think of for doing this new strip in the first place.

I'd also like to point out I've always hated his stuff and it is in no way a fashion statement.

However good luck to the fella, I'm sure he's only doing it because he likes Dredd as much as the rest of us.  And if I do read it I'll try and do so just on its merits.

paulvonscott

Aaaagggghhh!  This Ennis stuff is like a red rag to a bull with me, must try and resist...

JimBob

Ennis and Millar have an odd thing in that a lot of their Yank comics have been good, but I've never liked much they produced in 2000 AD.
I thought the first series of Red Razors was pretty good and some of Ennis' Dredd is OK but gernerally if you told me in the early to mid ninties I'ld seek out their US stuff ten years down the line I'ld have thought you were barking.

seeneester

Some stuff good, some stuff bad. Let's give him another chance and see if we are all pleasantly surprised or just left sighing with despair.

Queen Firey-Bou

aye give the guy a chance... & higgins art yipeedooo!

Mangamax

It was along time back and waaaay before this site, but what's the opinion on Grant Morrisons "Inferno" Dredd tale?
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

esoteric ed

In defence of the guy, I found Jonni Kiss and Goodnight Kiss excellent, the moody artwork complemented the story perfectly.

Let's be honest here, Dredd is Wagner's baby as we all know, anyone else brave enough to follow the master's footsteps deserves some credit, some mean feat!

Edhttp://www.2000adonline.com/covers/graphicnovels/mediumres/kiss.jpg">

morrison

his Dredd is woefull especially that emerald ilse tosh but his other stuff is good

Oddboy

"Inferno" made my brother stop collecting 2000AD.
Which meant I didn't read it anymore either.
The Meg was still good at the time, though
Better set your phaser to stun.

Wood

"It was along time back and waaaay before this site, but what's the opinion on Grant Morrisons "Inferno" Dredd tale?"

I loved it.

I am wholly and entirely the only person in the history of the whole wide world who did.

JimBob

I liked the set up in Purgatory and was really looking forward to Inferno. Sadly it was IIHO pants, and a waste of Grice who had been set up as an interesting villain with a believable motivtion in twilights Last gleaming and in purgatory shown Dredd scale determination and hard bastadry, then for some odd reason he decided to audition for Panto throughout Inferno.