Main Menu

2000AD Feb/Mar Art Comp. I Heart 2000AD.

Started by Kerrin, 10 February, 2011, 10:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerrin

Welcome back art lovers. It's time to start the ball rolling on the latest installment of the forum's art extravaganza. Our last comp was won by the enigma that is IAMTHESYSTEM, (real name Ptolomy), and he has decided that for your next challenge you should wear your heart on your sleeve and give a little love. Love for 2000AD that is!

We're all by definition fans of the Mighty One's magnificent organ, but what is it that really get's the old juices flowing and makes you go mmmmm? IAMTHESYSTEM's idea was this...

QuoteDraw an aspect of 2000AD that really appeals to you. Is it the souless yet fantastical Mega City 1 or it's grim faced yet resiliant inhabitants? Does Slaines' world of Celtic beauty and it's hardy Warriors make you go 'Kiss my Axe!'? Or is it Sam Slade/Zombo or something else that makes your thrill factor overload?

It's a pretty wide remit and means you can indulge yourself in depicting whatever aspect of the Galaxy's Greatest particularly pings your thrill circuits. A favourite character you always return to. A scene or location that has lodged in the mind's eye. Format wise there's...

Quotescope for everyone to do their fave character/situation any way they like. A painting, a poster or even a comic book page you could do pretty much what you fancy

So there it is. Spoil yourself. Be as self indulgent as you like and create something wonderful to celebrate what you love best about 2000AD, The Galaxy's Greatest Comic!

The comp will run for about six weeks and the deadline for entries is Midnight Sunday the 27th of March.

Have fun!

Bolt-01

This could be a very interesting comp. Have to get the thinking cap out.

FuzzChile99

Very wide spectrum of things that can be illustrated , should be fun .

Kerrin

I'm glad you lot are putting so much thought into this. I've had an explosive idea for at least one piece. Hur hur.

Zarjazzer

Justice Department file # 11346/xxcn/78

Clan Kennedy "disintegrator"-Weapon recovered after shoot out between rival gangs preying on the Cal-hab diaspora in Mega City One.

Origins -unknown possibly off world technology.

Weapon fires green beam that may destroy a target but can also cause sudden de-molecuralisation hours after being struck.

Several victims disintegrated during Justice Department interrogation presumably having been hit during the gang fight but not immediately dissolved.

Reasons for such randomness still unknown. Holder of weapon "Scrivens" Macgee was last victim having accidentally shot himself during the fight.

He dissolved before giving any useful information on weapons origins, though seemed furious that the gun did not work "as advertised".

File closed. Weapon now held by Tek division under stasis field.

:)Ah this is what I love about 2000ad. Mad tech! I couldn't draw anything from the comic with any accuracy so decided I'd just "make something up" as it's ahem-not cannon.(groan)
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

CrazyFoxMachine

Ahem. I may have appeared to have misinterpreted the topic and just drew a stand-off in an unconvincing cake. That's meant to be a cake.

Alright - okay, this is what it means;

I love 2000ad. I truly do. The reason above all others is variety - but I couldn't think of a way to express. That each week (EACH WEEK, for thirty-four years today) there are around five different stories. COMPLETELY different - with amazing art and original characters. I don't think there's a comic in the WORLD that can claim to be as consistently inventive as 2000ad. Scores of memorable characters, hundreds of influential creators - the sheer MIND BLOWING VARIETY OF THE THING.

My personal pleasure button is in-universe continuity. The weak-ass Simpsons-style Marvel DC stuff gets me down. It's boring. Oh that's the same Batman that's been roaming the streets since 1939?! Fuck off. Seriously. From the moment I picked up 2000ad ten years ago I was swept into a world of imagination and gloriously psychedelic consistency. Rooted in to their own insane universes.

At the end of Dead Eyes when Indigo Prime showed up? HELLO. When Lobster Random was unmasked after D'Israeli's insane run on The Vort? INDEED.  When Hammersteins showed up in Savage? When recently it turned out that all Ian Edginton's universes were connected?

ALRIGHT THEN.

Although how do you express continuity?

I just drew a stand-off in an unconvincing cake. Sorry.

Jake Lynch

2000AD - how do I prove that I love thee..?

Kiss my Axe first, then we'll discuss it...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7258534/KissMyAxe.jpg

Imagination without limits,
Action, Adventure,
Humour and Heart,
These are pleasing words to me...

(hope you didn't think it too many!)

Have a GREAT comp!
- JT
@ArtDroid_Lynch

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Kerrin

YAY! Welcome back Jake. Awesome Slaine.

CFM, only you sir, with your genius from a parallel quantumverse could come up with a Continuity Cake. BRAVO.

And welcome to the art comp Zarjazzer from a fellow future tech fancier. 'Not cannon'?  ::) Dear sweet Grud man.

CrazyFoxMachine

I know a certain JT who'll be choosing next month's topic ;) The shading on that is just beautiful!

Colin YNWA

That JTPegg is pretty much astonishing. As CrazyFoxMachine says whiole there's a way to go and I'm sure some great entries to come I'd have at least drafted my acceptance speech!

Alski

"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Van Dom

CFM - thats a really great image. Brilliant renditions of all three characters (and the cake).

And JT - what can I say? If that was a cover the prog would jump off the shelf and demand to be bought. Seriously, amazing stuff.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Zarjazzer

The cake of continuity rules! And that Slaine rawks JTPegg. Apologies for my bad pun Kerrin. :)
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

David Frankum

Well, both pieces of artwork are full of sheer brilliance. The cake is such a strong, original image and the sense of movement in the Slaine picture is terrific. I raise my glass to the both of you :)