Main Menu

Prog 2115. Next-Gen Policing.

Started by NapalmKev, 19 January, 2019, 11:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

I know the year is young but so far, the years' progs have been a real mixed bag. Enter Monsieur Wagner and MacNeil and the world feel whole again.

Dredd what a start and something a few of us predicated might happen sooner than later

Brink keeps the goods time rolling and has been a top thrill since its first appearance

Skip Tracer was always was readable and I do not mind it running in the prog.

3riller , this time around it start of solid and I am already intrigued

Fiends the last few episodes had concentrated on the duel. Was nice solid read started of great but felt a little flatter at the end. It is ending in this prog but will be back.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tomwe

Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 January, 2019, 08:43:27 PM
Forgot to mention just how bloody good that cover is too - I predict that will be strong contender for cover of 2019
Wholly agree - and that scene in the story when Randy dissed Dredd had me right chuckling.

Theblazeuk

I was racking my brains for Judge Logan - so it *is* that Judge Logan? Dredd's Assistant for years?

I've yet to catch up with the character in the prog (according to Barney but what a nice nod.

For my 2 creds, the 'By and Large' comment is more about Small House than Mechanismo, even if that does tie in to the current storyline .

Brink remains my favourite; does she see it because of the gas and taking nudge? Or is she still clean and it's because of her previous exposure? She used to see Brink (the titular character) once upon a time.

Fiends is good too but that first story was head and shoulders above the bat-people fight.  Skip Tracer... I skipped it... Enjoyed the 3Riller too.

Steve Green

[spoiler]Yes, but it's also the alter-ego of Dredd uber fan Stewart Perkins who passed away a few years ago, so it's a lovely nod to Stewart who that he's a candidate for the top spot[/spoiler]

norton canes

Not much to add except to say that when it comes to writing Dredd, Wagner is simply the original and best. 

No great change in the amount of enjoyment derived from the other continuing strips - Brink (a lot), Skip Tracer (a bit) and Fiends (in between). The 3riller looks promising and if anything has packed too much into its first installment, but let's see how it pans out.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Steve Green on 23 January, 2019, 03:29:02 PM
Yes, but it's also the alter-ego of Dredd uber fan Stewart Perkins who passed away a few years ago, so it's a lovely nod to Stewart who that he's a candidate for the top spot

Ah yeah, I knew. I just meant that I had heard of Judge Logan the board member, not Judge Logan the character. (Removed spoilers because if anyone is like me and less long in the Toof than others, it's useful info.

The Monarch

now thats a chief judge i would back

DrRocka

More than half an absolutely GREAT prog for me this week, with only Skip Tracer (why is this the prog SO MUCH lately?) and Fiends missing the mark. The latter's gone from being a classic thrill to some giant bats fighting every issue. Like one of the interchangeable characters says "this is becoming tedious". Remind me who I'm supposed to be rooting for again?

Oh my, that Dredd though. More in six pages than any marvel comic in six months. And Brink's going batshit, and it's a joy to see. And that 3riller's very engaging too.

All in all, a fine prog, the "meh" far outweighed by the great.
Never ever bloody anything ever

JayzusB.Christ

Haven't been reading much progs of late but I bought this for the Wagner Dredd, which is the only story I've read so far.
Pretty much a perfect Dredd story.  Wagner and McNeil, Dredd / Hershey tensions, little bit of politics, nods to major events in the past, the promise of future upheaval, Dredd's ageing being addressed, and of course destruction and violence.  I'm sticking around for the time being.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JamesC

I really feel like it's time for Skip Tracer to end now. It's a failed project as far as I'm concerned. I was more than happy to give it the benefit of the doubt for a couple of series - to let it find its feet. It's just not getting any better though - it's tedious, unoriginal and has unengaging characters.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 January, 2019, 12:54:39 PM
Haven't been reading many progs of late but I bought this for the Wagner Dredd, which is the only story I've read so far.
Pretty much a perfect Dredd story.  Wagner and McNeil, Dredd / Hershey tensions, little bit of politics, nods to major events in the past, the promise of future upheaval, Dredd's ageing being addressed, and of course destruction and violence.  I'm sticking around for the time being.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Magnetica

I was going to say that I am detecting a bit of change in attitude towards Skip Tracer. More of an "it's ok....let's keep with it rather than something worse" but I read on down the thread:

Quote from: DrRocka on 24 January, 2019, 10:03:12 PM
More than half an absolutely GREAT prog for me this week, with only Skip Tracer (why is this the prog SO MUCH lately?) and Fiends missing the mark.

Quote from: JamesC on 25 January, 2019, 12:54:54 PM
I really feel like it's time for Skip Tracer to end now. It's a failed project as far as I'm concerned. I was more than happy to give it the benefit of the doubt for a couple of series - to let it find its feet. It's just not getting any better though - it's tedious, unoriginal and has unengaging characters.

So, maybe not. 🤔

Great Dredd. I never understood what the problem is with one writer referencing what another had in their stories and there you go it is possible.

Brink. Can't find much different to say about this; it's just awesome.

Haven't read the rest yet.

Bolt-01

For me- Skip Tracer falls into Rose O'Rion territory- by that I mean it is a good concept, but without the strip having a 'wtf' moment it just doesn't catch a break.

Of course I also felt like this for a lot of the early Dante run. Then we had the courtship of Jena Makarov and the game changed.

I applaud TMO for taking a punt on 3 (so far) stories being run closely together to try and get a little momentum behind the piece.

JamesC

It's interesting to me that Brink and Skip Tracer have lots of similarities in common as far as concept go.
Both are set in hostile, claustrophobic, artificial environments. Both protaganists fall into the 'loner with baggage' mold. Both deal with some level of conspiracy.
Yet everything Brink gets right, Skip Tracer gets wrong.
I know the strip is going for a different tone but even so an engaging protaganist, and interesting location etc would surely help the strip.

broodblik

Skip Tracer I think the main character looks and react always angry. His anger is almost like his just angry for the sake of anger without any explanation. The character should tone down a notch or two.  If the main character is not likable your story is fighting a losing battle to connect to the audience. I am one of the few that do like the strip but maybe this was too much (3 stories in a short period)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.