Main Menu

2000AD Sci-Fi Swipe File

Started by ming, 30 October, 2013, 06:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

One more?  Again, Tim White - the High Rock, Carib and now - Battak?  The book cover dates from 1979, I think - the same year as the 2000AD debut for Black Hawk.

ming

...and revisiting the Tim White swipe from page one, I just stumbled on this issue of Omni from 1980 - Harry Twenty appeared in 1982).

Skullmo

I wonder what the incredible human carrot was!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Fungus

Oh that High Rock is disappointing.
Wait a minute - what is the correct response to this....?  :)

Goosegash

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 24 November, 2013, 02:58:38 PM
Quote from: Judge Jack on 24 November, 2013, 02:21:58 PM
Mmmm. If anything they seem, over the years, to be more inclined to clamp down hard on any perceived infringements/negative portrayals.

The only legal cases I've seen McDonalds take are against the competition or companies with similar branding. If anything they are very stealthy when it comes to criticism or lampooning– they took adavantage of Super Size Me by placing an ad in the trailer pointing to a McDonalds sponsored 'debate' website and eventually turned the tables by promoting their slop as a 'healthy' alternative by adding a mass-produced anemic salad choice and snack wraps (knowing well that the vast majority of people never go to McDonalds just for the salads). McDonalds yearly revenue increased after that.

What about the infamous McLibel case that dragged on for years?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLibel_case

The Corinthian

I seem to remember Alan Moore prohibited Titan from reprinting the second Abelard Snazz story on the grounds that he'd unconsciously plagiarised it from a short story by R.A. Lafferty. (Presumably he didn't notice that 'Doctor Dibworthy's Disappointing Day' - which Titan did reprint - is basically a stripped-to-the-basics take on Lafferty's 'Thus We Frustrate Charlemagne'.)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Corinthian on 29 March, 2014, 06:41:32 PM
I seem to remember Alan Moore prohibited Titan from reprinting the second Abelard Snazz story on the grounds that he'd unconsciously plagiarised it from a short story by R.A. Lafferty. (Presumably he didn't notice that 'Doctor Dibworthy's Disappointing Day' - which Titan did reprint - is basically a stripped-to-the-basics take on Lafferty's 'Thus We Frustrate Charlemagne'.)

I don't recall Titan reprinting Doctor Dibworthy's Disappointing Day but rather The Disturbed Digestions of Doctor Dibworthy but Rebellion did reprint all Snazz and Dibworthy stories.

The Corinthian

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 March, 2014, 06:46:49 PM
Quote from: The Corinthian on 29 March, 2014, 06:41:32 PM

I don't recall Titan reprinting Doctor Dibworthy's Disappointing Day but rather The Disturbed Digestions of Doctor Dibworthy but Rebellion did reprint all Snazz and Dibworthy stories.

I'm almost certainly mis-remembering which Dibworthy Titan reprinted; maybe Moore thought he'd plagiarised* the Disappointing Day as well but just never got round to saying so in public.

(* Just to clarify, I'm not accusing him of this; I think Lafferty was probably an influence but there's a difference between that and outright theft.)

Bazooka Joe

From Omni Magazine issue 1, 1978.

The one the left looks familiar.

Bazooka Joe

Thinking about that picture, I'm not sure which came first. Was it swiped or the swiper?

Any takers?

Frank

Quote from: Gypsum on 06 August, 2014, 02:54:37 PM
Thinking about that picture, I'm not sure which came first. Was it swiped or the swiper?

The first episode of Robusters appeared in Starlord in May 1978, and that issue of Omni hit the racks in October 1978 - the same time as the final issue of Starlord and its merger with 2000ad. I'm assuming Mek-Quake featured in the Starlord episodes of Robusters, which would mean Kev O'Neill's design appeared in print first.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sauchie post office on 06 August, 2014, 03:02:29 PM

The first episode of Robusters appeared in Starlord in May 1978, and that issue of Omni hit the racks in October 1978 - the same time as the final issue of Starlord and its merger with 2000ad. I'm assuming Mek-Quake featured in the Starlord episodes of Robusters, which would mean Kev O'Neill's design appeared in print first.

Mek-Quake is indeed in most of the Starlord episodes (including the earliest). The cover to Mek-Memoirs fom 1976 has an even earlier proto-Mek Quake byO'Neill.

@jamesfeistdraws

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Spikes

Any takers?

Is the artist for that painting Angus McKie?
I had thought it had been used in one of the TTA books, but on digging the books out, its not the same, but does share some similarities. (The TTA book is from '79, btw.)

TTA was famous for using images that had been around for a good few years previous, so unless it was commissioned directly for use in that issue of Omni, its kinda hard to date - well, without an artists name, etc..

Bazooka Joe

QuoteIs the artist for that painting Angus McKie?

Yes it is