Main Menu

giving it away to keep 2

Started by 2000AD Online, 26 November, 2001, 05:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

Some very good points have been made in response to my last message, especially about on-line comics, but I think I didn't get the point across.  My suggestion was that subscribers be given a voucher enabling them to send a free copy of the next prog to a friend (or enemy).  
   The Spectator does this.  Each issue comes with a voucher headed "don't pass it on" with my subscriber number and space for two people's addresses.  If I mail or fax this to the magazine, they send a freebie to the people I've nominated.  So far two people I know have taken out subscriptions because of this.  
  Unlike with online issues, the virtue of this scheme is that it would reach people who are unaware of the 2000AD's existence, and hence unlikely to look it up on the net.  Also the people getting the free progs are more likely to be interested, being friends of the subscriber.

O well, that's it for now.

Thread Zero

Floyd,

How is our sleeper man in Nipcit?
Sleeping on the job eh?

Tut tut.

I have an idea.
Maybe give existing readers some incentive to send the vouchers off. Maybe if they get a certain number of new readers, the existing reader wins a prize.

The only slight problem I see is that Rebellion know how many people read 2k each week.

If they start printing off more progs each week but people decide they don't want to continue to read future progs, they lose out financially.

Seems a bit risky.

scojo

pauljholden

Sounds like an interesting idea. Possibly an internet based option as well, as I've found, many don't know that 2000AD is still around.

Tu-plang

"I've found, many don't know that 2000AD is still around..."

Yeah, too many people don't realise that it's still here.

There's only one newsagency getting it near me, and when I asked some others about it, at least 2 of them told me it had been cancelled in 1994.

Dominic O'Rourke

I'm not sure about this, but if the print process is like the 'olden' days, then there is a limited amount of 2kad printed, and each one that goes out to a shop, is counted as sold, so the circulation rate is a little overestimated, as shops have not been allowed a sale or return policy, altough I did read that rebellion want to review this, but have heard no more since. These returns would be ideal for Floyds suggestion (swigs half pint of beujolis nuevaux - or saki equivilant) as 'gifts' of issues, summer winter offensives are notoriously overprinted in the hope of gaining new readers, and would be even more ideal (ahh just thought of the turn around time for these issues to be shipped out, not sold and then returned, not ideal hmmm, must...think...harder...)
Member No. 10