Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

I err think Fox got the uk female pop group bananarama confused with the utterly terrifying banana splits

shaolin_monkey

Slow down guys!! I'm massively behind - only on 188. Too many podcasts - aaarggh!!

sheridan

Zoned out for a moment there but is it explained how Maeve manages to make Ireland her local patch when mutant bounty hunters need permits to go to Earth?  Or does she just nab them whenever they come up? (continuity geek alert!)

SpaceSpinner2000

It's 100% not explained. Nor is this mutant settlement she helps (or the fisherman in the Cockles & Muscles storyline). Honestly if I'm stretching my comic explainer legs I'd be more likely to suggest that these Hilary Robinson Tales of the Doghouse might all take place on an Ireland planet instead of Ireland himself. Sort of like that Scotland planet we saw at the start of the Outlaw story in Strontium Dog prime.
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Leigh S

Yeah, the idea there are cosy Mutant communities in Britain where tehy are fishermen or farmers doesn't fit at all with the established continuity - at best I view the bulk of TFTDH as shaggy dog tales.

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 25 May, 2020, 07:05:26 PM
It's 100% not explained. Nor is this mutant settlement she helps (or the fisherman in the Cockles & Muscles storyline). Honestly if I'm stretching my comic explainer legs I'd be more likely to suggest that these Hilary Robinson Tales of the Doghouse might all take place on an Ireland planet instead of Ireland himself. Sort of like that Scotland planet we saw at the start of the Outlaw story in Strontium Dog prime.

sheridan

I like the Planet Ireland continuity-hole explanation best - there's prior art, after all.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and fifth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 641-644 of 2000AD, covering August and September of 1989. This episode Judge Anderson and Judge Dredd deal with old enemies, it's a psychic duel in Moon Runners, the Survivor is on the run, and Fervent & Love return to confuse us all!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Just started listening now - you've (so far) missed out on the opportunity to announce a disclaimer: "Space Spinner 2000 does not condone carrying out the final solution"! ;)

sheridan

Simon Harrison Durham Red / Johnny Alpha pin-up on the 2000ad tumblr.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 01 June, 2020, 11:01:24 AM

still not a fan of this image! :D

Funt Solo

Quote from: Leigh S on 25 May, 2020, 07:34:54 PM
Yeah, the idea there are cosy Mutant communities in Britain where tehy are fishermen or farmers doesn't fit at all with the established continuity - at best I view the bulk of TFTDH as shaggy dog tales.

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 25 May, 2020, 07:05:26 PM

Maybe it's more like it is today, where the United Kingdom is a dystopian nightmare and Eire is a picturesque bastion of sanity.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Leigh S

Weirdly I find that image to be Harrison's most successful attempt at the character (the lessi said about Red, possibly the better, though you can hardly say he isnt following Carlos's lead there either).  Alpha actually has a face there for a start, and one that is a pretty decent match for how he has been established to look.

Sidney Falco is Alan McKenzie being as cool as Tony Curtis, naturally..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Smell_of_Success

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 01 June, 2020, 04:44:25 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 01 June, 2020, 11:01:24 AM

still not a fan of this image! :D

sheridan

Joganov - that's one for the 'things you never realised thread' :)

sheridan

We so need a new Henry Moon psychic panther comic strip.  And the previous appearances of the character have both been from different creative teams so hopefully there won't be any legacy issues...

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 01 June, 2020, 10:49:24 PM
We so need a new Henry Moon psychic panther comic strip.  And the previous appearances of the character have both been from different creative teams so hopefully there won't be any legacy issues...

All the abandoned space-based 2000AD heroes should team up imo. Henry Moon, Harry 20, Dan Dare, the Visible Man, Lorna Varn, maybe some Colony Earth dudes! All those guys!