Main Menu

Kevin O'Neill - Mek Memoirs (1976)

Started by ming, 07 September, 2012, 02:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Stalwart 2000AD fan and all-round good egg that he is, DJ Food posted on his blog yesterday about Kev O'Neill's self-published Mek Memoirs (1976), scripted by Jack Adrian.

http://www.djfood.org/djfood/2000ad-week-4-kevin-oneill-mek-memoirs-fanzine-1976

Having had a quick look, I know Lew Stringer wrote about this a few years back (http://lewstringer.blogspot.no/2009/02/kevin-oneill-early-days.html) and it really looks like an incredible bit of early O'Neill genius.  The blog post above was prompted partly by a copy popping up on eBay and selling for £50+; it's a shame I didn't know about it earlier as I would have done my best to win it, scan it and stick it up here for the enjoyment of all...

Anyway, I know it's unlikely but I figured that some branch of the Hive-mind might have access to a copy.  It would be extremely nice to see this in it's entirety, so...  Any clues?

Bolt-01

Seconded. This would be a fantastic bt of archive.

Mudcrab

That looks fantastic. Looks like some kind of proto-Mek-Quake on the cover there! It's like some out of/ahead of it's time D'Israeli style prediction too.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

JamesC

While we're at it, if anyone has copies of the posters he did for Legend Horror Classics can you post those too please?

Trout

I don't want to "out" him, but I happen to know of a board member who has a copy of this. I'll email him but, if I was him, I'd keep it to myself.  :)

maryanddavid

Cheers for the heads up Trouty, Yes tis me that has it.

I wont be putting up complete scans here, I dont know would Kevin appreciate it.
The good news is that It is part of something I have been working on, and it will be out soon.
It contains interviews with, John Wagner, John Cooper, Jan Shepheard, Kevin O'Neill(about Mek Memoirs and the Eagle Reprints among other stuff).
Contributions from Kelvin Gosnell, Dave Hunt, among others, Trout is also on board, as well as Amstor, and some more yet to be named. Expect news soon!

David

Dandontdare

ooh, that msytery project sounds intriguing.

love that cover image - nobody did droids like O'Neill, Rise and Fall of Rojaws & Hammerstein is one of my fondest remembred strips evah.

Bolt-01

Ooh, now that sounds cool.

Nice one David, and I'm glad it's you who has a copy. Safe hands and all that.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: maryanddavid on 07 September, 2012, 03:24:47 PM
Cheers for the heads up Trouty, Yes tis me that has it.

I wont be putting up complete scans here, I dont know would Kevin appreciate it.

No, you won't be putting up scans. You will be putting it in an envelope and sending it to me. You have no further use for it. You will send it to me tomorrow morning.

SBT

ming

The good news is that It is part of something I have been working on, and it will be out soon.
It contains interviews with, John Wagner, John Cooper, Jan Shepheard, Kevin O'Neill(about Mek Memoirs and the Eagle Reprints among other stuff).
Contributions from Kelvin Gosnell, Dave Hunt, among others, Trout is also on board, as well as Amstor, and some more yet to be named. Expect news soon!

Great news, David!  Definitely sign me up for a copy of this; sounds unmissable.

Spikes

That does look lovely, along with that other scanned page. Just makes you want to see this in its entirety.

Trout

I've read every word of it and it's damned good stuff.

Colin YNWA

Hmmm that project sound very intriguing. Look forward to hearing more about.

Nice find too Ming