Main Menu

Is Grant Morrison overrated?

Started by skoi, 04 November, 2008, 02:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

I used to be a great fan of Grant Morrison's comics: Zenith, Doom Patrol, Animal Man (though it was mostly Doom Patrol for me!), and I liked some of what went into the 2000ad Summer Offensive and his run on JLA. I liked some of the writing on '52'.

Nowadays I wouldn't buy a comic just because it had Grant Morrison's name on the cover. In fact, I'd probably give it a miss on account of the fact. I hated his recent run on Batman from the word 'go'. I used to find what he did entertaining, but I'm not entertained by what he does now. The writers whose 'voice' I enjoy reading nowadays are Mile Allred, Mike Mignola, Todd Nauck and Robert Kirkman.
STRIKE !!!

PreacherCain

I loved his work on X-Men, especially the earlier half.  Probably the best incarnation of the X-Men since Claremont's heyday and far exceeding the more fanboy-friendly (indulging?) Whedon.  

His All-Star Superman is also brilliant and everything that is good and great about Morrisson as a writer and Superman as a character.

Ultimately though he is a hit and miss writer.  For all his bluster, he tends to work better with established characters, the more mythical or legendary ones who can only be changed so much, while a lot of his stuff tends to be great ideas that are poorly explored or realised.  We3 is good fun (mostly due to the concept and Quitely's art, if you ask me).  His Batman work is mediocre. As is much of his other stuff, not a huge fan of The Invisibles or The Filth (have yet to read Animal Man or Doom Patrol).

If only they'd collect Zenith into Case Files, I could give that a proper look  :)

I, Cosh

Hmm. I'd rate Grant Morrison as pretty much my favourite comic writer ever. On the other hand, it's been a while since he's done anything that I really enjoyed. I'm not interested in his mainstream DC stuff, his Batman was pretty shonky (despite the really cool way he wrote him in JLA and the basic awesomeness of Arkham Asylum) while I missed the boat on All Star Superman so I'm waiting for a collected edition on that.

Since you're asking, Seaguy was the last thing that really pushed my buttons.

I can reread Zenith and The Invisibles endlessly, but I've never "got" The Filth and I found Animal Man a real letdown. What I've read of Doom Patrol is fantastic, as was his X-Men but I'm a bit wary talking about that as I've never really read any other take on the characters. Same for JLA: to me he seemed to really be able to make the team dynamic work, with every character getting nice little moments to shine but I can't compare it to any other run or any of the characters' own comics.

Mostly, I'd like to see him get back to firing off a few crazy one-offs alongside the universe-changing stuff I don't care about. More like Kill Your Boyfriend please. Less Aztek.

It's a bit like asking if Pat Mills is overrated.  /steps away carefully/
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

No.  I think he's rated at 5.6.  Whereas I have him as 5.8.

Some hit, some miss.  

I think he works better with a great artist on his side - that must point to some deficiencies in story telling stuff.  

Really enjoyed THE FILTH (didn't quite get it but THE WORLD OF ANDERS KLIMAX is just brilliant!) pretty sure I didn't like SEVEN SOLDIERS (definitely didn't get it), really enjoyed ZENITH and ARKHAM ASYLUM and ALL STAR SUPERMAN but really just loved the art on WE 3.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

I, Cosh

On Christmas Eve I received a parcel containing Grant's full run on Doom Patrol and I just finished reading them this evening.

This was scintillating stuff from start to finish with some great moments, outstanding issues (Cliff's brain vs. his body) and only one duff note (the Lee/Kirby pastiche.) I know there are certain things he keeps returning to, but I was surprised to see so many elements of the The Invisibles prefigured so clearly. I reckon it'll take another read to get it completely but, for the moment, it's jumped straight to the top of the list and answers the question with a resounding "NO!"

One of the things I like about reading old comics in the original issues rather than trades is getting to sample the preposterous letters pages. I'll eat one of my many hats if the Paul Cornell who despatched a missive from the Manchester - London train isn't the creator of Xtnct and occasional Dr Who episodes, while it would be neat if Cameron Stewart of Toronto was the very chap who went on to illustrate Morrison's Seaguy.
We never really die.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "The Cosh"This was scintillating stuff from start to finish

I actually envy you ...! The experience of discovering a little gem like Doom Patrol for the first time is priceless. Glad you enjoyed it so much!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

House of Usher

The one with Cliff vs. his body actually prompted me to write a letter. I think it appears in #34, but I may be wrong!
STRIKE !!!

satchmo

Fantastic! I'm envious too! I just dug mine out the other day for a long overdue re-read.
Did you get to read the Flex Mentallo miniseries too?

Dandontdare

I've heard nothing but good things about Doom Patrol and feel i must check it out - which book is the first (or best to start with)?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "dandontdare"I've heard nothing but good things about Doom Patrol and feel i must check it out - which book is the first (or best to start with)?

Morrison's earliest issues are collected in Crawling from the Wreckage:

Here.

... Which looks like it might be out of print. :-(

Morrison's Doom Patrol is clever and funny, nicely characterized and as well written as you'd expect. It skates a superb line along the border of horror, with its sense of the surreal deftly crossing over into macabre and downright sinister with an ease that should make other writers weep.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

I, Cosh

Jim, it wasn't entirely new as I've had a few random issues for years which never made much sense in isolation, but it was a real treat being able to sit down and read the whole lot.
Quote from: "House of Usher"The one with Cliff vs. his body actually prompted me to write a letter. I think it appears in #34, but I may be wrong!
Excellent stuff. In the spirit of the mighty Letters Beast, I can exclusively reveal that #34 actually featured the story in question, with letters discussing it appearing in #39. One David Knight of Brighton included a reference to The Tempest in his. Have I got my man?

Quote from: "satchmo"Did you get to read the Flex Mentallo miniseries too?
I bought that when it came out, not realising there was any connection. I've never been keen on it.

Quote from: "dandontdare"I've heard nothing but good things about Doom Patrol and feel i must check it out - which book is the first (or best to start with)?
The whole series has been reissued in six volumes in the last couple of years. You can find the current Vol 1 here. Or, if you're interested, I've got a now-redundant copy you can have for a fiver.
We never really die.

Buttonman

Wassgoing? Ears burning...

Let's see if the Letters Beast can interface with it's Doom Patrol cousin...

Whirrrr...

No idea what's going on in the issue or indeed in Usher's letter, but a letter's a letter as I always say at seminars citing my own Eagle 1982 effort which due to no demand is not shown below.

Mr Usher has yet to break his 2000ad or Megazine duck however, with the title of 'Knight Writer' being held jointly by Maggie and Tristam on four apiece.

House of Usher

Quote from: "Buttonman"with the title of 'Knight Writer' being held jointly by Maggie and Tristam on four apiece.
Wow, that's thorough!

I was pretty chuffed to get that letter printed. But *tsk* they left the 's' off the end of The Smiths (admittedly, I left the definite article off all by myself because it scanned better without). I do have yet to get a letter printed in a Rebellion publication. I don't think I've got the knack of writing in the right style or making the sort of point that's worth printing in the Nerve Centre. I think putting in the effort necessary to accomplish that particular goal would tend to conflict with my first new Year's resolution!
STRIKE !!!

Bongo Jack

I'm playing catch-up with Morrison's back catalogue, and found this in Animal Man 24:
Live forever or die trying

Dandontdare

Quote from: "The Cosh"The whole series has been reissued in six volumes in the last couple of years. You can find the current Vol 1 here. Or, if you're interested, I've got a now-redundant copy you can have for a fiver.

Cheers mate - PM me your address and a crisp bluey will be on it's way! and I'll chuck in a random old comic or two to cover postage!