Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Nemesis is great and in some ways encapsulates what 2000AD means to me more than any other strip.
It's funny, scary, weird, gross and violent all at once, in a way that was quite shocking when I was young. It has incredible artwork throughout - mainly of a kind you'll never see in US comics and the character designs are some of the most memorable I've ever seen.

glassstanley

Don't have sight of the book to confirm. Prog 305 has a colour star scan of the Blitzsoears being culled by Terminators - could this be it?

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 30 October, 2017, 04:30:51 PM
Also, quick question. The poster/ star scan that serves as the first page of 'The Secret Life of The Blitzspear', where is that from? The book only lists the annual, and from a quick flick, it doesn't appear to be from that.
SBT

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Quote from: glassstanley on 30 October, 2017, 05:56:32 PM
Don't have sight of the book to confirm. Prog 305 has a colour star scan of the Blitzsoears being culled by Terminators - could this be it?

That appears to be about right, brilliant. Shame they didn't shove it at the back of the book, in the colour section. Many thanks.
SBT

abelardsnazz

Really enjoyed reading Nemesis again after all these years. Great article by Matt Smith too about the development of the story across the first three books and after, including some good points about the often overlooked Book 2, which holds up here. Great repro too, capturing every line of Kevin O'Neill's insane designs. Can't wait for more.

Southstreeter

It would be great if I could find somewhere that actually stocked these. It was the same with the mega collection. Asda actually did stock the first issue (Slaine) but they seem to have given up on it already. What's the business model here?
Bit of a pain to have to order these online, with added postage and delivery hassle.
Curmudgeon of Perth

IndigoPrime

Business model: hook people into subscribing to make it viable in an ongoing basis for the long haul. Pick up diminishing returns in newsagents as long as the single volumes sell.

I assume you don't want every issue, then?

BPP

Over here Easons (regional newsagents / bookstore) has them and 2000AD / Megazine but not Scream / Misty

Whereas Tesco has Scream / Misty but not 2000AD or Partworks.

Asda has neither / neither / nor.

Make of that what you will.

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Dandontdare

Quote from: Southstreeter on 01 November, 2017, 10:02:15 PM
It would be great if I could find somewhere that actually stocked these. It was the same with the mega collection. Asda actually did stock the first issue (Slaine) but they seem to have given up on it already. What's the business model here?
Bit of a pain to have to order these online, with added postage and delivery hassle.
Curmudgeon of Perth

looks like you can buy individual ones direct from the Hachette site: https://hachettepartworks.com/2000-ad-the-ultimate-collection.
I'll be ordering the Dante books as soon as they appear, unless I've spotted them on a shelf anywhere in meantime

Southstreeter

I only want a few of these as I've got most of the stuff I like already, in decent editions. I'll just be picking up individual issues from time to time. Looks like I'll be doing that online. Do Hachette keep them available indefinitely? The old mega collection editions still seem to be on their site.

Fungus

'Indefinitely' is a stretch, but 'while stocks last' is more like it, and if any volumes are unavailable it's rare. I've used WH Smith, FP Glasgow and picked up a few volumes from Hachette that I missed but took my fancy. None damaged and I've no complaints. The forum reviews always handy to identify the real duds of course  :)

But it is a partwork, and if in doubt I pick them up soonish. To avoid disappointment...

Magnetica

I have ordered individual issues directly from Hachette and also Forbidden Planet. The only one I ever had any problems getting hold of was the recent Tour of Duty one. It was showing as sold out on Hachette's website (before it had even come out!).

But FP had it up for pre-order. Not sure what was going on there.

Basically though it you want them I would just get them and not risk leaving it till later.

Dandontdare

I've seen them instore at FP but couldn't find them on the website - assumed it wasn't available online

Tomwe

Finally finished Nemesis, these books are such good value with so much reading to be done! Such genius work. So, when did Mek Quake become an ABC Warrior and change his look then?

The Monarch

the very next book of nemesis i think or was it book 5?

Tomwe

Quote from: The Monarch on 03 November, 2017, 09:08:50 PM
the very next book of nemesis i think or was it book 5?
Thanks! Not too long to wait then. Did Kev design all the Warriors? (Sorry for all the questions!)