Main Menu

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

Started by Goaty, 07 December, 2016, 02:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 March, 2017, 03:21:57 AM
A manly swoon, yes, that's a perfect description of the way I feel too.

Yep, well put. Cap went from an 'also ran' hero to placing in my affections over the course of one movie.  I also love the way his three movies progressively explore how his type of idealism interacts with the 'real' world and its demands.

Similarly heroic is Hiccup in How to Train Your Dragon 2, a magnificent example of someone who lives his simple convictions despite everything: the lack of fuss or farce where he forgives [spoiler]first the blameless Toothless and then the very-definitely-responsible Drago for his father's murder[/spoiler] is genuinely inspiring. No hint of a revenge-driven plot, just selfless striving for peace and co-operation. Love that guy.

Woolly

Trailer 2 released today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiTECkLZ8HM

Exposition heavy, but I really cannot wait for this!

Tony Angelino

The latest subscriber's edition of Empire magazine has a nice black and white Spidey cover by Alan Davis and Mark Farmer (with the Empire title in red).

dweezil2

I would never claim to be a superhero fan, in fact they generally leave me cold, but Spider-Man: Homecoming was a hell of a lot of fun.
Not as portentous or poe faced as the majority of the genre and not muddled and dull-Wonder Woman I'm looking at you!
The villain had some convincing motivation for once, all topped of by a simply brilliant and genuinely chilling performance from the great Michael Keaton.

The film also refreshingly avoided the usual generic 'countdown clock' climax

Highly recommended.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JOE SOAP

I felt the high-school stuff a bit flimsy and lacked enough inventiveness. Getting by on sheer cutting and momentum it didn't have much substance; as in, what the spider-bite/Uncle Ben elements managed to fill in previous 'origin' films, school-life and friendship should've filled more substantially in this iteration –there are hints– although Parker's sense of detachment from his friends is handled simply and effectively.

It's only when the story a steps outside the school milieu into Stark Industries and Damage Control that it gets more engaging and Keaton's story does manage to elevate it beyond the mediocre with a great narrative turn that both Keaton and Holland sell the shit out of. These also happen to be the points where it's most like the Sam Raimi films.

Great cast, confident and light on its feet, but a little too light.

Tiplodocus

Just caught up with this and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't think it has the research factor of some other recent films I've liked but Holland and Keaton are great especially when that twist shows up. And hey, Donald Glover!

Any quibbles I have are minor; he is invulnerable only until the plot demands he is knocked out and Happy would surely be given NO task of any importance even in the Trump administration let alone in Stark's world. And Tiny Tips says that Peter Parker quipping commentary is much more annoying on second viewing.

But yeah, fun to be had.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mardroid

His quipping is a very Spidey thing to do, though, right?

Much as I really do like the previous Spider-man films (with the exception of one that I haven't seen, so can't judge either way - the second of the second reboot,with Electro as the main villain) and I find the Peter Parker of Raimi's films very endearing, the MCU Spider-man seems closest to the comics as a character.

Aunt May, and his home, not so much. I like her as a character, but she isn't the Aunt May of the comics. Raimi's aunt May got it right, in that regard.

Professor Bear

I always found the quips problematic in that they usually fed into the narrative that Spidey was a bullied kid who in turn became a bully.  It makes him a more interesting character than he'd otherwise be, but too often the core of the character being a selfish arsehole is ignored - although the dreadful 1990s cartoon was spot-on in realising this over the years, to the point that when Spidey meets alternate universe versions of himself, the one whose Uncle Ben never died is a successful businessman because he was never guilted into changing his ways.