Main Menu

Charley's War Idea...

Started by Woolly, 29 July, 2010, 12:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

ALthough i've not really been reading Savage (not my cup of tea, TBH) i've still been scanning through the unbelievably good artwork. The gritty realism and sheer detail in every single one of those panels is staggering, and in my mind can only be compared to one thing - Charley's War.

And that got me thinking...

Would it be a good thing to let Pat Mills revisit Charley's War and complete it in the way he originally wanted to, before all the editorial problems?
Patrick Goddard has now proved that he can step into Joe Colquhouns shoes, and the Mills Droid is on fire these days. Would it work? Has it been too long since original publication?

Any thoughts?

Mikey

I'd buy that for a dollar.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

staticgirl

Me too. Coincidentally, I have been reminded of old school Battle art whilst reading Savage. It's one of the reasons I like it so much (puns about 1970s petrol adverts notwithstanding.) :)

Greg M.

For my money, Joe Colquhoun is 'Charley's War'. If Joe was still alive, I could see it might be enjoyable to have a little 'flashback' series or one-off, but without him... no, let it rest.

TordelBack

Terrific idea, Woolly.   The consistent density of Goddard's art on Savage really has to be marvelled at, and your comparison with a Colquhounish level of detail is well made.  It's been said many times, but I'd love to know how Pat gets such incredible results from his artists - no-one else seems to manage such a perfect combo, over and over (poor David Bircham excepted). Even when his stories are annoying, you have to be impressed by the sheer effort his collaborators put in.

Daveycandlish

Quote from: Greg M. on 27 August, 2010, 04:09:29 PM
For my money, Joe Colquhoun is 'Charley's War'. If Joe was still alive, I could see it might be enjoyable to have a little 'flashback' series or one-off, but without him... no, let it rest.

I'm with Greg on this one. Other artists did episodes in the annuals or Summer Specials, and it just wasn't right. Joe's dead - let Charlie lie with him
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: Woolly on 29 July, 2010, 12:34:21 PM
ALthough i've not really been reading Savage (not my cup of tea, TBH) i've still been scanning through the unbelievably good artwork. The gritty realism and sheer detail in every single one of those panels is staggering, and in my mind can only be compared to one thing - Charley's War.

And that got me thinking...

Would it be a good thing to let Pat Mills revisit Charley's War and complete it in the way he originally wanted to, before all the editorial problems?
Patrick Goddard has now proved that he can step into Joe Colquhouns shoes, and the Mills Droid is on fire these days. Would it work? Has it been too long since original publication?

Any thoughts?

Ohhhh man, Woolley, I dunno. I'm really torn by your suggestion. I REALLY like the idea of Mills returning to that world and continuing the characters. But Colquhoun's Colquhoun and pretty much nobody is going to match him. Not even Goddard. Not even David Lloyd who I think of as the one man who had the brilliant sense to ape Colquhoun's style.

JOE SOAP

He should tie it into his Savage/ABC... continuity, for the sake of Robin Low.

TordelBack

To this end, while it's not Millsverse the prospect of Fiends of the Western Front does appeal...

FuzzChile99

No one can do Charley except Joe, but that's not to say that Mills couldn't explore the other characters again, for example Blue (I would like to see his escapades in the Foreign Legion -I always liked Blue kind of a proto Slaine/Flint seems a good vehicle for Mills views)Also one thing about Charleys War was that it began in 1916 I've always been curious about Ol Bill and his early days having served since the war broke out (I suspect he would also been present in The Boer War). I enjoyed Scott Godalls WW2 Charley ,my heart sank when I saw Pat's name disappear from the credits but he didn't do such a bad job , still one of the better stories within the comic . 

FuzzChile99

I meant Finn not Flint , doh too much Warlord

Proudhuff

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 August, 2010, 11:57:49 AM
To this end, while it's not Millsverse the prospect of Fiends of the Western Front does appeal...

sounds like this....

DDT did a job on me

The Prodigal

Mills on a new Charlie's war. Just came across this old thread and after recently reading through my lovely hardbacks I am so sorely tempted by this thought.

Large48

As good as Patrick is, he isn't a Joe.......
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

thehod

I would have no problem with Pat looking to do the World War II stuff he wanted to do with Charley's War, albeit with a different character and unconnected to Charley's War which, I'll admit, isn't really Charley's War without Joe.

I do know that research wise, its a bloody huge undertaking though.
The Hod: Novelist, raconteur and celebrated sexual athlete.