Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mister Pops on 18 January, 2018, 02:36:35 AM
Don't have a hydrometer, so I don't know how strong it might be.

Use my parents' ingenious scale of measuring the strength of home brew.

After initial sampling, did you go blind?

Yes = water it down a bit.

No = it'll be fine.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Albion

I made my own beer, sampled the first batch tonight. It's good. Don't have a hydrometer, so I don't know how strong it might be.

I own a TV. Make of that what you will

What did you brew?
As long as it tastes good that's all that matters.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

TordelBack

Quote from: Albion on 18 January, 2018, 08:05:19 AM

And sometimes not even that.

manwithnoname

Quote from: sheridan on 17 January, 2018, 11:21:47 PM
Quote from: manwithnoname on 17 January, 2018, 10:35:53 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 17 January, 2018, 10:15:21 AM
The poster claimed not to have a tv and that, because of this, had not heard of the programme in question. That is all. Not having a tv does not equate to an inability to watch tv programmes. I do not own a pogo stick but that doesn't mean I am unable to jump up and down.

There's been some disagreement about the original statement. I too surmised that the non-ownership of a TV had somehow been the reason that the poster hadn't heard of Spa Wars.

However, a more recent post (above) by MIK disputed that was the intention of the post, and that the fact the poster hadn't heard of Spa Wars was not in fact related to owning a TV, but rather the inference was that not having a TV was a good thing, because it meant that the poster wouldn't actually be able to WATCH Spa Wars.

So here we are. How does the poster watch Television programmes without a TV?

I would suggest that actually the poster in question CAN watch TV programmes, via alternative screens/ devices, and could actually watch Spa Wars (if they had heard of it, and were inclined to watch it), but instead chose to bring into the discussion the fact that they didn't own a TV, as if that somehow placed them on a higher intellectual plane, and a more discerning consumer of Television, than people who do own TVs, and might actually watch Spa Wars.

Hopefully the OP can confirm.

I really don't see why I should have to defend myself to somebody who's spent a number of posts over the past few pages attacking me.

I think you might be overreacting a bit. I don't have a clue who you are, and I don't care. It was also not meant as any kind of 'attack' even if, by definition, this would hardly be worthy of the word, given that there's been no abuse, threats, violence, or any sense of anything remotely like an attack.

May I suggest a calming Spa visit?

Smith

Im not really sure what owning a tv proves either way.

Mattofthespurs

I own a TV and he keeps on stealing all my wife's clothes...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sheridan on 02 January, 2018, 10:02:39 PM
I've never heard of Spa Wars - sounds like a good reason not to have a TV (which I don't)

This is the three-cred freeziwhip in the eye of Melda Dreepe, isn't it?
@jamesfeistdraws

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Smith on 18 January, 2018, 08:58:31 AM
Im not really sure what owning a tv proves either way.

Me neither. To define people according to their possessions, or lack thereof, seems a rather superficial exercise missing the point of what it means to be a complex and unique human being of infinite worth and potential.

I choose not to have a telly but it doesn't make me feel either superior or inferior to the people who do own one. I feel happier and less harassed without one but that doesn't mean everyone would.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I made my own beer, sampled the first batch tonight. It's good. Don't have a hydrometer, so I don't know how strong it might be.

What did you brew?

Irish Red Ale*

I just used a kit, with a nag of malt and some priming sugar. It required more patience than skill to be honest.

*which doesn't get shortened to an acronym like IPA does.
You may quote me on that.

Albion

Quote from: Mister Pops on 18 January, 2018, 12:21:08 PM

What did you brew?

Irish Red Ale*

I just used a kit, with a nag of malt and some priming sugar. It required more patience than skill to be honest.

Kits are pretty easy but you can get some great results.
My advice would be to ignore the instructions and look online for some advice.The instructions usually don't give enough time to make a really good beer.
I'd ferment for two weeks and leave in the bottle, or barrel, for about four weeks.

There's a forum called Jim's Beer Kit that has lots of good advice.

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/index.php
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Albion on 18 January, 2018, 06:35:08 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 18 January, 2018, 12:21:08 PM

What did you brew?

Irish Red Ale*

Kits are pretty easy but you can get some great results.
My advice would be to ignore the instructions and look online for some advice.The instructions usually don't give enough time to make a really good beer.
I'd ferment for two weeks and leave in the bottle, or barrel, for about four weeks.

There's a forum called Jim's Beer Kit that has lots of good advice.

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/index.php

I'm within the last few days of looking after my parents' cat / house while they're on holidays.  You've just reminded me to hunt out my Dad's home-brewed porter before it gets dark out.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 19 January, 2018, 02:03:03 PM
I'm within the last few days of looking after my parents' cat / house while they're on holidays.  You've just reminded me to hunt out my Dad's home-brewed porter before it gets dark out.

Party at your gaff, so!

The Legendary Shark

I'm more interested in the cat-house aspect...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 January, 2018, 03:39:54 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 19 January, 2018, 02:03:03 PM

Party at your gaff, so!

Y'know, I've only seen this now.  There kind of was a party, if I'd seen this u'd defo of been invited, soz m8.

Me, I've just landed a part-time teaching job to supplement my occasionally struggling art business, which means I'm not an extra on Vikings any more.  But I couldn't have asked for a better last day - I got to fight invading Russians with King Harald on the beach at Brittas Bay on a lovely spring day, while being filmed by a helicopter. 

Also, Ragnar's not-so-wee lad Bjorn handed me his phone and asked me to film him, before unexpectedly back-flipping off a sand dune in full Viking battle gear.  He did it again then so the rest of us could get a video of him.  Like pretty much all the cast, he is a very pleasant sort in real life; and I've only just copped he's the same lad from the Hunger Games.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 March, 2018, 07:11:42 PMBut I couldn't have asked for a better last day - I got to fight invading Russians with King Harald on the beach at Brittas Bay on a lovely spring day, while being filmed by a helicopter.

By an inevitable Irish coincidence, my parents were watching ye from the dunes!   Apparently you all looked magnificent.