Main Menu

Favourite CURRENT art droid Round 2 - Simon Coleby or Simon Fraser

Started by Colin YNWA, 19 January, 2021, 06:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

It's just occurred to me that I drew three Simons in a row in this tourney... well I find it fascinating even if you don't care!

Anyway please sit down I've got something I need to discuss and I think it's best just to just come out and say it. You know that The Royals and how much you adore the art in that. And you know how you are always going on about how Simon Fraser's work on Doctor Who is some of the best ever. Well... we don't care. Oh sure take about it, but I implore you don't consider it when voting. For the sake of all we hold dear, to give this relationship any chance please just focus on work for Tharg. Please I beg you.

Alas we have to pick our favourite and to do so just pop the name of the art droid you'd most like to go through to the Quarter Finals, but please add anything else you'd like to say as well.

Simon Coleby - more info

OR

Simon Fraser - more info

This one will close and be counted on the morning of Friday 22nd January

What the hell is all this? Current state of play Find out more about the Art Droid Tourneys and Round 2

Who made the 32 in both tourneys?

Entrants in the Current Art Droids Tourney

Entrants in the Classic Art Droids Tourney

Rules for what they are worth

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

Joining in with showing off some of the beautiful art from both of these guys:

My vote goes to Simon Fraser, for his superlative work on the Dante saga.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

This is a difficult one, which Simon should get my vote? Why Colin are you torturing us?

I will go with Simon Coleby this round for his dark, gritty art on Jaegir. Simon Fraser did create some awesome art on Dante and now with his new style on Hersey.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

This is the closest one yet for me.

Legendary Nikolai Dante creator versus an artist who has improved beyond all recognition and now does stellar work on Jaegir and The Vigilant.

I just can't chose.

abelardsnazz

Simon Fraser. Dante is one of the all-time classics of Tooth.

ming

Simon gets my vote; no hesitation whatsoever!  Bleurgh - like the decision between Brett and Dave Gibbons, this one's horrible.  I absolutely love Simon Coleby's work these days and he's one of my favourite artists; I didn't really take to his work early on but the evolution of his style from the big-guns-'n-muscles era is astonishing.  Simon Fraser gets my vote, though - just (seemingly) effortless, dynamic, fluid artwork, in amazing quantity over decades (Dante started back in 1997 which can't be right but is).

AlexF

IndigoPrime

Coleby really is a story in two parts. His older 2000 AD work I can take or leave. I mean, it's OK, but it doesn't really click with me. His Rennie Rogues and especially Low Life were a turning point. His Jaegir is wonderful.

Fraser's love of short legs is a bit odd and it took a while for his style to bed in as well (early Shimura is... not amazing), but, well, Nikolai Dante. And now Hershey as well.

I'm deadlocked on this one. Sorry.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

This one is impossible. I would immediately snatch up anything drawn by either gent, in the knowledge I would be in safe hands- storytelling, architecture and vehicle design, characters who are striking and recognisable from one panel to the next, backgrounds, detail, space to breathe... it's all there and on point in both their work.

They are the very top of the modern 2000AD pile, along with Culbard, D'israeli, Elson and Harrison. I cant choose between them- but *in this instance* I will. And I choose Simon Fraser, for Dante and the design work on Hershey.

SBT

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Sean SD

Link Prime