Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

I couldn't take Dante seriously until The Great Game, when it suddenly got much better. It peaked during Tsar Wars.

Arkady

I wonder when they'll get around to updating the Next Issue page on the official collection website.

Arkady

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 25 November, 2017, 02:53:46 PM
This happened to me with Dredd. Hachette said it's company policy to avoid two payments within a single month, where possible, but they could change my date with written permission. I duly did so, and got two books about two weeks after the previous ones. Always worth a shot. Approach via Facebook, as ever.

Useful, thanks! Might try to do that: would be great to get them closer to when the first one hits the shelves.

jannerboyuk

I was just about to say enjoying dante as a fun romp but 9 volumes? Glad to hear it develops 🤔

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richard on 26 November, 2017, 12:48:51 AM
I couldn't take Dante seriously until The Great Game

I don't think you're supposed to. That's the whole point...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Grud how I hated Dante when it started.  Everything about it irritated me: messy art, ugly faces, arrogant unkillable hero, stupid anachronistic setting, forced catchphrases and cod-Russian jargon.  Gah! Is this what the Prog has turned into in the '90s?  I'm off! 

How utterly, completely wrong I was, on every count.

Advice to newcomers: stick with it. It takes a wee while to find its feet (not long), there's too much repetition (probably due to establishing a clear identity as a long-running saga doled out in weekly chunks), far too many surprise resurrections (most of them welcome), and a dose of dodgy sexual/gender politics, but it's all going somewhere, and the journey is just spectacular.

Probably 2000AD's most under-appreciated comics classic: if the Ultimate Collection does nothing else, I hope it finally gives Kolya the wider recognition he deserves.  Not to mention R. Morrison, Burns and especially the incomparable Fraser.

marko10174

Nikolai Dante is my favourite strip! only discovered the character this year, and I have already read through the series twice. It is a shame that the series would be considered hideously politically incorrect by today's standards. I could imagine millennials having an aneurysm reading this, and feminists... Jesus, they would go in to a melt down. So there is no way in hell we'll ever see Nikolai in his original form hit the big, or small screen.

TordelBack

Quote from: marko10174 on 26 November, 2017, 01:07:37 PM
It is a shame that the series would be considered hideously politically incorrect by today's standards. I could imagine millennials having an aneurysm reading this, and feminists... Jesus, they would go in to a melt down.

I'm a feminist  (no, really), and I think it's great, if understandably immature in its early days. Possibly you are confusing 'feminist' with 'Mary Whitehouse', or 'twitter bot'.

And while I'm against adaptations of stuff I love as a matter of course, it'd be the the best Netflix series evah.

EDazzling

It is a shame that the series would be considered hideously politically incorrect by today's standards. I could imagine millennials having an aneurysm reading this, and feminists... Jesus, they would go in to a melt down.

what an appealing endorsement

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 November, 2017, 01:52:49 PM

I'm a feminist  (no, really), and I think it's great, if understandably immature in its early days. Possibly you are confusing 'feminist' with 'Mary Whitehouse', or 'twitter bot'.

And while I'm against adaptations of stuff I love as a matter of course, it'd be the the best Netflix series evah.

As ever listen to Tordelback.

While Dante as a character is a womaniser that in no way makes the series sexist in any way and I see absolutely no reason for anyone who cares about gender politics to be offended by the strip or like or dislike it either way - quite why caring about having equality between the sexs is something 'millenials' would care about opposed to any one else escapes me as well.

Dark Jimbo

It's a classic mistake to think that someone who likes sex must be a sexist - Dante's almost a feminist in his championing of the female sex, and he never made advances on anyone who wasn't receptive (Jena the very notable exception!) He is a bit one-track minded and immature, but he's constantly called out on it by most other characters later on.
@jamesfeistdraws

marko10174

Hmm, I think people are over estimating the modern day sjw's ability to apply reason and logic. I mean, people LOVE to be outraged by absolutely anything these days. Adam Sandler puts his hand on his female co-stars knee during the Graham Norton show and he's basically accused of sexual assault the very next day. I recently read about a mother complaining that she wants sleeping beauty taken off the curriculum because sleeping beauty didn't consent to being kissed! (how many times do we see Dante plant the lips on Jena with out her approval?)

After recently reading the entire ND run recently there were so many times I thought to myself "yeah this would cause outrage today" especially in the earlier stories. Sadly Nikolai would be seen as someone who is representative of a male, domineering patriarchy...  slapping women's butts, "objectifying them" hell, he even refers to one woman as an elephant in one story lol.

Sadly if we did ever see a screen adaptation of Nikolai, he would be nothing like his comic counter part. He would probably end up being seriously emasculated.

TordelBack

I dimly recall the days when vocally standing up for social justice was a virtue expected of all decent people, but I digress...

Quote from: marko10174 on 26 November, 2017, 05:22:56 PMSadly if we did ever see a screen adaptation of Nikolai, he would be nothing like his comic counter part. He would probably end up being seriously emasculated.

Have you watched any popular genre telly lately?  Game of Thrones, for just one example? Westworld? American Gods?  No butt-slapping, consent-disrespectin' or endless bed-hopping there, no-siree, not in a world where PC has gorrrrn maaaad, 'they' wouldn't stand for it.  I'd argue TV has never been more liberal (in the true sense) in what it depicts as fiction.

This view of a repressive world where the moral fibre of fictional characters is strictly policed appears to exist in a very similar collective online fantasy to the one where Christmas has been banned by councils operating under Sharia Law.

marko10174

I'm getting a lot of sarcastic vibes in your post lol. There's standing up for social justice, and then there's just plain ole virtue signalling, which I'm seeing more and more of these days.

The shows you have mentioned do display a lot of illiberal behaviour, but the characters displaying those behaviours are always depicted as villains. Nikolai Dante is the hero and protagonist of this particular story, there is no way his behaviour would fly in today's social climate.

I think you're really down playing the whole idea of political correctness not going mad, almost to the point of insinuating that the very notion is down to nothing but mass hysteria. I don't think a day goes by where there isn't someone complaining about something or other. I mean... safe spaces, trigger warnings, cultural appropriation, micro aggressions. I gave you two examples before that were a perfect example of people losing their shit over nothing.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: marko10174 on 26 November, 2017, 05:22:56 PM
the modern day sjw's ability to apply reason and logic.

Another one for the ignore list. Sigh.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.