Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tjm86 on 27 November, 2017, 05:41:01 PM
Don't mind Jim.  He's a bit gruff but harmless.

No. Sorry. I'm trying not to get into fights with people, both for the general ambience here and the sake of my blood pressure, and someone who starts hauling up strawmen about what "SJWs, millennials and feminists" will be offended by is someone whose opinion is of no interest to me. Hence the ignore list. I'll thank you to neither patronise me, nor speak for me.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tjm86

marko10174

Well I don't want to start a fight either, but I will throw in my two cents and leave it here. Unlike Jim, I don't "ignore" people. I am open to hearing all opinions, regardless of whether I agree with them or not, or how uncomfortable an opinion might make me feel, and not just listening to those that I agree with. Otherwise you're just sheltering yourself, and essentially  living in a safe space and you never grow as a person.

Tjm86, appreciate the gesture. Unfortunately you were met with a very snotty reply from someone who (sorry to say) just strikes me as a ridiculous person. Anyway... sorry for the drama. I'm done.

Modern Panther

QuoteI think people are over estimating the modern day sjw's ability to apply reason and logic. I mean, people LOVE to be outraged by absolutely anything these days.

QuoteI am open to hearing all opinions, regardless of whether I agree with them or not, or how uncomfortable an opinion might make me feel

I'm happy to listen to your opinion, but before I do I will make assumptions about it and call it silly

IndigoPrime

Knock it off, everyone. We're not going to close this thread, given its importance, but can we get the discussion back on track to the books, and not content that would better belong in the political thread? If not, we're going to start deleting stuff without warning.

The Monarch

i kinda hope the dante book keeps the historical blurbs

robert_ellis

I've come late to Dante, I've always been put off collecting all the volumes but the 2000ad collection will change all that. It's great to read a swashbuckling & romantic hero. I guess Strontium Dog kind of flirted with Durham Red but we've rarely seen much sexuality or humanity since Halo Jones. I think the draw of Vertigo comics stopped my enjoyment of the prog way before Dante and I stopped buying it. Dredd in particular seemed dull and staid, when many 2000ad creators were exploring sexuality, magic & weirdness for DC. I wish I'd known about Nikolai earlier - it was so easy to think 2000ad was chasing its tail, rebooting & rehashing. The prog seems much healthier now, but I'd still like to see more 'real' relationships. It's great thinking the likes of Brink & Lawless can have time for developing characters, and Dredd seems more dimensional around Vienna or Demarco.

abelardsnazz

Classic stuff in Strontium Dog volume 1, although I can't recall ever having read Journey Into Hell before. It reminded me of City of the Damned quite a lot, our heroes dealing with various nasty encounters before confronting the cause of all the evil in its lair. The ending was straight out of Scooby Doo though. The Schicklgruber Grab brought back happy memories, great fun reading it again.

Tomwe

OK, an update on the cover (via forbidden planet) to the Dredd book "The Return Of The King" including credits, so what is this book likely to contain you think? Simply any Dredd strips by Ezquerra currently excluded from the JDMC?

Also the final cover for Nemesis volume 2:

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Tomwe on 30 November, 2017, 10:53:35 AM

Hmm. I don't love the colouring on that, but I suppose it will match that of the Book 1 cover quite well.
@jamesfeistdraws

Arkady

Maybe I missed it upthread, but it seems (from the Facebook page) that there were printing issues with issue 7 and that some subscribers will only get issue 6 this month, then get issues 7&8 next month. That will suck, and I wonder how they will square it with the payments.

Tomwe

Quote from: Arkady on 30 November, 2017, 01:54:04 PM
Maybe I missed it upthread, but it seems (from the Facebook page) that there were printing issues with issue 7 and that some subscribers will only get issue 6 this month, then get issues 7&8 next month. That will suck, and I wonder how they will square it with the payments.
I saw those two people saying they'd only got one copy but hadn't seen the reply. I got my two, haven't cracked them beyond a cursory glance as yet so can't speak to printing errors. Over on the Transformers page yet another mistake has been found in one issue - a sloppy bit of layout work by someone!

Link Prime

Quote from: Tomwe on 30 November, 2017, 10:53:35 AM

I'll have to pick this one up, my personal favorite period of Nemesis combined with my possibly all time favorite artist.

I like that cover too.
Random thought of the day- when crafting wooden swords as I kid I always used Talbot's more rigid design for Excessus (sharpened ice-pop sticks making the perfect hilt).

Colin YNWA

Where is that Nemesis image from? I don't recognise it and don't think this series has new covers?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Tomwe on 30 November, 2017, 02:15:45 PMOver on the Transformers page yet another mistake has been found in one issue - a sloppy bit of layout work by someone!
Honestly, it's hard to think of how they could have made that collection much worse. The repro is truly abysmal – some of the worst I've ever seen. The recolouring effort is atrocious. I really don't know what they were thinking when redoing that early Marvel US stuff. And now IDW appears to have given up on the UK Classics reprints, too. Bah.