Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

He was great. Sadly missed
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

rogue69

The Wanted star Tom Parker has died at the age of 33 after a battle with a brain tumour.

milstar

Quote from: CalHab on 29 March, 2022, 02:01:26 PM
Just read on Twitter that art droid, and Marvel/Miracleman artist, Garry Leach has passed away.

Sad about Garry. His art was instantly recognisable and he had interesting, innovative ideas with layout.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

JayzusB.Christ

RIP the Political Thread.  One of my favourite threads for a long time but I think today's mod action was something of a mercy killing.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 03 April, 2022, 01:00:43 PM
RIP the Political Thread.  One of my favourite threads for a long time but I think today's mod action was something of a mercy killing.

It was a thread I nearly always kept away from as it seemed to get very ... passionate... at times and isn't something I every felt the need to discuss here as I have lots of 'real world' folks to discuss politics with.

That said it was always so active and seemed to serve a real purpose here. While I utterly respect Molch-R's decision and christ why should he need to deal with nonsense on a Sunday - I just hope it doesn't dampen life on the board. Heaven's above we need to keep this place active.

Richard

There's nothing to stop someone starting another thread, but the end of the original thread should serve as a warning of what will happen if things get out of hand again (not that that is the only reason to be civil).

Hawkmumbler

Cancel cultural claims it's latest victim.

Jokes aside, the thread was long overdue a detox for all who frequented it (including myself among that number) and though I certainly don't condemn starting another one mayhaps give it sometime to simmer first.

sheridan

Another, less toxic thread to discuss politics in the news?

We could call it This is the News!

Meanwhile, back on-topic:

William Dale Fries Jr. aka C. W. McCall, 93, singer (most famous song Convoy)

Estelle Harris, 93, actress (best known for Seinfeld and Toy Story).

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

surely, after 45 years of a comic that would be absolutely nothing without its brilliantly written, thought-provoking (and hugely prescient) politics and satire ... it is a sad day to learn that contemporary politics on a forum devoted to said journal has to be shut down ... on the grounds, presumably, of repeated and targeted hate speech, extreme ableism, and the very worst kind of nudgenudgewinkwink conspiracy tropes. many of us repeatedly urged the offensive nonsense away. but here we are. just one person.
but elsewhere, just one deranged sociopath is holding the whole world to ransom.
rest in pieces indeed.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

meanwhile, maksim levin, brilliant reuters ukraine war photographer, has been murdered near kyiv. he was 40. he is survived by 4 children. he was wearing full recognised press-identifying markers when he was shot.

Tjm86

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 03 April, 2022, 08:55:58 PM
Cancel cultural claims it's latest victim.

Glad you clarified that this was meant as a joke.  It is regrettable that the thread was closed down and that milstar had to be barred. 

Given the news this weekend coming out of Ukraine it does seem more than a little petty.  The atrocities being reported are disturbing to say the least.  It does beg the question of what the hell is going on in the world, especially when you consider that this is just one of a number of sites of extreme violence against civilians.

8-§

sheridan

Yes, perhaps I was being a little too subtle in my last post.  In a thread that has commemorated the death of former art droid Garry Leach, please can this thread be reserved for actual deaths of actual people - there are other threads more suitable for the other topics that have cropped up in the last few days.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 04 April, 2022, 09:17:28 AM
Yes, perhaps I was being a little too subtle in my last post.  In a thread that has commemorated the death of former art droid Garry Leach, please can this thread be reserved for actual deaths of actual people - there are other threads more suitable for the other topics that have cropped up in the last few days.

Apologies, my fault.