Main Menu

Web Cam advice

Started by The Doctor Alt 8, 09 April, 2020, 02:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor Alt 8

Because of the Corona Virus Adrian's plans to have a D&D group have faltered. He want members of the group to meet "online" to play.

Well I have a problem with this. The webcam inside my laptop no longer works ... and the microphone doesn't work either. The problem with the microphone appears to be with the software which is Realtek keeps switching itself off whilst I am using it without even notification.  (Last year I volunteered to voice some NPC's for a game mod. As I couldn't get my voice recorded I had to leave the project.)

So I am thinking of saving up for a webcam. A search for recommendations suggests that this Logitech C920 HD Pro Webcam model would be the best available. (If the suppliers ever get more stock)

My questions are as follows...

1/ Can you fine folks recommend the above web cam?

2/ How do I stop the Realtek program from sabotaging the sound? Can I remove this programme (As I have been informed that it isn't a very good system anyway) and replace it with a sound programme that is more amenable to commands. (To whit doesn't let me think it's recording sound files, only to find out that when you send them off... the person receiving them gets the glorious sound of silence because Realtek in its wisdom has turned off the recording without even telling you.) I've seen the programme turn off the recording without me touching ANYTHING...

3/ Adrian wants to use a app called "Houseparty" in order for us in the group to communicate. But there have been some rumors that it isn't very secure and that peoples personnel data has been site. What is you opinion? Is there a better free app that would be better?

4/  Can anyone recommend a "dice roll" programme. I know they exist. How do you integrate this into the visual feed?

Thanking you in advance...

Trout

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

The Doctor Alt 8

You know it's OK to say I don'y know....