Main Menu

Prog 2262 – The Spirit of Xmas Future

Started by IndigoPrime, 14 December, 2021, 08:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

No Zarjaz 100-page mega-special thread yet? Blimey. Then I'll dig right in:

We're in perfect-bound territory, as usual, and there's a nice wraparound cover by Toby Willsmer. A chunky Droid Life offers plenty of laughs before Judge Dredd does the same. This tale delightfully lampoons a certain high-profile tech figure, along with featuring a meet-up between three Judge Dredds. This is skilfully written. I know some people were suspicious of what we'd get, but it's a lot of fun and a one-and-done.

Next up, Deadworld is gruesome, with Tharg apparently having very odd ideas as to what constitutes a festive tale. A short break for a fun Doug Church interview and then we're on to the new Kingmaker, which kicks off a second after the series cliffhanger. New readers should be able to catch up easily enough, mind.

Dexter was a mixed bag for me — a nice enough tale in and of itself, but the realisation for the lead is about as cliched as they come. Then The Order comes knocking with some lovely visuals but, I'm struggling to keep up with the plot.

Tales of Mega-City One gives us a tale that neatly weaves through a classic Dredd, and then The  Out provides a little levity after an episode of dread. Proteus Vex rounds out a solid Prog of extra-length thrills, and bodes well for a new year that will begin with a line-up of Dredd/The Order/Kingmaker/The Out/Proteus Vex.

Colin YNWA

The cruel irony is after a few choppy weeks with the Prog arriving late, this one dropped on Saturday, early for my normal delivery even... and of course I'm not reading it. Taking my normal tack with these issues of saving it until X-Mas day... damnit!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

broodblik

It is now tradition for the xmas prog to close-out the year. On reflection this year's prog was good with a slight dip mid-year picking up with a very good run to the end. The biggest disappointment was Slaine and not that it ended but it ended with a fizzle and not a BANG! (it always read like the first book of a trilogy). Jaegir was another disappointment (I really love this thrill) and it had nothing to do with the quality rather the lack of quantity (only 3 episodes the last few years). The Out, Feral and Foe, Proteus Vex and Thistlebone all had its second arcs and all of them equaled or even surpassed the first arc – bravo Tharg.

Does the xmas prog deliver on thrills and it is a resounding yes. Full marks for me and it is always a good sign when you struggle to choose your favorite. Now let's get to it.

Dredd – Another classic by Niemand whom we all know by now can weave a nice Dredd tale. I like how he makes fun of the different versions of Dredd especially Mr. Rambo. The third pages we get treated with the tooths different versions of Dredd – a very nice touch

Deadworld – As always, the twisted dark world of Deadworld makes out for the "perfect" xmas story.  Enjoyed this one and Kendall's art sets the mood perfectly.

Kingmaker – The episode starts where the previous arc stopped, and we have a battle royale on our hands. Leigh's awesome art dominates the episode as Edginton gives as more back-story. Super good opening.

Dexter – More of filler episode before the main saga continues and it was a very good filler. I always liked Steve Yeowell's simplistic portrayal of the characters, but I must admit that Tazio is really nailing the strip.

The Order – The voyage or rather roller-coaster rides continue. This is one of those strips why I like tooth it is absurd out-of-this-world twisting tale, and you better keep your hat on. Interesting opening episode let the mad dash voyage continue.

Tales from Mega-City One – Reflections and nostalgia with a trip out of memory lane. A good one-shot out the world of Dredd.

The Out – This is a more toned down or rather flat episode (but not in a bad way) from the previous emotional driven episodes: love, lost and found, fear and despair. This episode gives Abnett time to give us more background on the Tankinar and hopefully we will learn with time what Marabunda means. The nice thing it will also continue into the new year.

Proteus Vex – One of my favorite new thrills. The opening episode delivers a great episode and gives us more background about the "Sinclair" people. Interesting and absorbing episode awesome stuff.

I will not spoil it but we have some interesting events looming in the future we even have an add for a strip coming to prog 2300 and meg 448.

broodblik

The Corinthian

Good to see [spoiler]Midnight Indicating Shame[/spoiler] back. I was a bit worried that she and [spoiler]Vex [/spoiler]might have parted ways for good.

Bad City Blue

Just read Dredd - absolutely brilliant both script and art, I laughed several times.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Bad City Blue

Question about the Tales Of Mega City One

At the end there's a line about Dredd taking the Long Walk on new years day. Is this just a throwaway or is it happening?

DrRocka

It's the [spoiler]undercover judge [/spoiler] that we see in the story taking the long walk - he's reminiscing about his first case
Never ever bloody anything ever

Bad City Blue

Quote from: DrRocka on 16 December, 2021, 04:24:49 PM
It's the [spoiler]undercover judge [/spoiler] that we see in the story taking the long walk - he's reminiscing about his first case

ah cheers, missed that

DrRocka

It's a mixed bag for me this Christmas.
Dredd to me just seemed a bit of a gimmick, like something you'd get in a free comic book day Prog.
Dead world is what it is. Horrible, but a decent read.
Kingmaker may just be what's convinced me to keep reading the Prog after 45 years.
Dexter keeps going, and it's enjoyable.
The Order I find to be absolute bollox. Lovely art, but by God I find this tedious.
Tales from mega city was a good little vignette with a fine twist.
The Out continues to be the best thing in the Prog.
Proteus Vex was just talking. LOTS of talking. Where's the thrill power?

I've got to admit, the prog's been finally losing me lately, I long for the days of actual character development (in Dredd especially, tight boots to closing stadium gates), but it just seems to be plodding along. We have a dedicated 2000ad corner of the pub I run, and one of the customers brought a couple of progs over to me recently, including a regened one, and muttered "see this"? - pointing to Prog 346 - "this was subversive when we were kids. It was OURS. This is just nothing"... (pointing to the last regened and 2257). Pretty much what I find, too...

Anyway, I'm derailing the thread... the previews of things to come look promising, and so long as Tharg can keep things like Kingmaker and The Out in the Prog, he'll still have my three quid every week. Just about.
Never ever bloody anything ever

IndigoPrime

Old man in pub confused that kids in 2021 don't like the same things he liked in 1981! More at 11!

broodblik

In the Input page Tharg mentioned [spoiler]another 4 regen progs but so far I have not seen any schedule for it - so I
think it will work in the same fashion we had the last 2 years[/spoiler]