Main Menu

Sideshow Vote II: Main mission done next mission Pina Coladas on the beach

Started by broodblik, 27 July, 2022, 03:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

The original Rogue Trooper certainly forum-wised got some real mix feelings but does not matter where you sit on the fence it is one of the classic 2000AD characters. In many cases we do have a series or story that just drags on for too long and can become stale. After Traitor General should Rogue continued or not?
-   Yes, I loved every bit of it (even the Hit series).
-   Yes, but GFD should have continued on scripting duties (we would have been saved from the Hit series)
-   The Traitor General series was a good point to stop the series
-   Maybe after the Horst series they could have stopped Rogue
-   Never liked the series to begin with

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

AlexF

The character and setting were too good to just stop after finding the TG - sadly none of the ideas they tried after that worked...

Timothy

I liked the original series, and (don't judge me) I liked The Hit. What I didn't like was Horst. Don't know why, but it just didn't click for me.

sheridan

Quote from: AlexF on 27 July, 2022, 08:40:20 AM
The character and setting were too good to just stop after finding the TG - sadly none of the ideas they tried after that worked...

I iddn't hate Horst on my recent read-through, but Nu-Earth was one of the great characters in Rogue in the same way MC1 is a great part of the appeal of Judge Dredd.  So taking your lead character away is a jolt...

Proudhuff

The Traitor General series was a good point to stop the series, then let the GRennie droid loose in the NuEarth sandbox.
DDT did a job on me

Dash Decent

Horst didn't click for me.  Part of it was definitely the art.  The art had a definite clean and well defined line, especially with Cam on art duties (and Brett Ewins and Dave Gibbons were also excellent), and suddenly it looked messy and dirty.

More of orginal Nu Earth Rogue.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Colin YNWA

About the first 4 or 5 episodes had something to say, after that... well it had good art. War Machine and Cinabar were good and the very odd other bit aside, so overall I have to say:

Never liked the series to begin with

Magnetica

The first few episodes were definitely the best.

And even with the Traitor General arc, it felt more episodic to me, so it wasn't necessarily that that finished that was the problem, just that it wasn't as good later on.

broodblik

Must the traitor be the final enemy of Rogue you have until Wednesday ?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

BPP

Later Rogue also suffered some pretty poor art, that's undoubtedly a factor.

As a character to develop a war-is-hell story around I still think Rogue is great and would love another go at. Long-syory arc from someone like Rob Williams. Rogue as ruthless part of a Space Marines collective would work too - bolster the strip with great ancillary characters.

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

JayzusB.Christ

I'd have been happy with only keeping Cinnabar (which is technically not a strip called Rogue Trooper, but the best Rogue story ever), The War Machine and Grennie's spin-offs. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

Voting Closed

Most felt it could have stopped after the Traitor General

maryanddavid

To late, but he never should have caught the traitor! RTs world is fascinating, and in the right hands it has legs, see Cinnabar, Fireflies and the brilliant Atilla.

Richard

Except that Cinnabar had nothing to do with the traitor general and yet it's the best Rogue story.

The problem wasn't that Rogue was nothing without the traitor general, it's just that the stories that came afterwards were silly. They didn't have to be.