Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

I'm a premium subber and got them about a week ago, been saving them for holiday reading.  The Nemesis volume doesn't look that appealing to me, mish mash of art...is it worth reading?  Interested to know views of those on here..

sintec

Book X and the Deadlock story from the Nemesis volume were both great. Henry Flint's art is gorgeous and they're both excellent stories.  Most of the rest of it felt a bit like filler to me, not bad per se but certainly not top tier thrills.  Enigmass Variations suffered with some murky 90s art and I have to say I'm not a big fan of Pat's collabs with Tony Skinner, they feel heavy handed compared to Pat's solo stories with the same characters. I had similar issues with Khronicles of Khaos and Hellbringer but those tales both had gorgeous art which helped.

Shakara was definitely the stronger volume for me, top quality from start to end.  Stunning art from Mr Flint and a gripping story.  One of the top volumes in the collection so far imo alongside Kingdom.

I have to say these 2 felt like an odd pair in that they were almost too similar.  Henry Flint on art duties for the majority of both books.  Both epic space operas about alien warriors with strong vengenance themes. I'd have preferred to have had these in separate deliveries combined with something a bit more contrasting.  That's a minor quibble though.

Geoff

Thanks for that Sintec. I'm definitely looking forward to Shakara but I know what you mean, similar themes and Flint's art (which I like) at its busiest and most frenetic in both volumes!

Arkady

Anyone have payment taken on 29 March but still not received 41&42?

IndigoPrime

For those awaiting 43/44, I just received the following reply:

QuoteIssue 43/44 were allocated on the 19/04/2019. allow 7-14 days for issues to arrive

These issues should have arrived on the 8th, according to the original schedule – and so even those near the 'front' of the queue are a month behind again. I also asked about 45/46, but was told they cannot provide a scheduled date for those because they are "not in stock".

It's almost as if they don't have a clue what they are doing.

moldovangerbil

It's the lack of consistency in the responses you get from them that does my head in.  One person tells you one thing then somebody else tells you something entirely contradictory. 

Providing a thoughtful coherent response to a question seems entirely to take second place to 'type some random nonsense and hope they go away'.

By some margin the worst customer service I've ever experienced and that includes the idiot at Santander who once told me an ISA transfer to another building society didn't need any paperwork.

Tomwe

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 April, 2019, 11:39:16 AM
For those awaiting 43/44, I just received the following reply:

QuoteIssue 43/44 were allocated on the 19/04/2019. allow 7-14 days for issues to arrive

These issues should have arrived on the 8th, according to the original schedule – and so even those near the 'front' of the queue are a month behind again. I also asked about 45/46, but was told they cannot provide a scheduled date for those because they are "not in stock".

It's almost as if they don't have a clue what they are doing.

Maybe we will have a repeat of Feb / March with April & May's books arriving within days of each other.

My Transformers books remain on a decent schedule, admittedly closer to the 'back of the queue' model where they come a month behind the shops.

IndigoPrime

Given that IDW canned the UK transformers trades, I've gone for 'classic run only' for TF, and with direct bulk purchases. That in itself has been 'fun'. Several errors in shipping. Close to 30% damages, due to books being sent in massive boxes with no packaging. I shudder to think how many replacements they send out. (And, good grief, the repro on the original US comics is awful. It really showcases what a fantastic job Rebellion does by comparison.)

Tomontherun94

3(!) additional copies of The Horned God later and they've finally sent the corrected copy. Now just waiting for 43/44.

The Monarch

contents of sin/dex vol 2

sinister dexter

motherlode and the red admiral

anatomy of a throwdown

Eurocrash

downlode tales

lone shark

the ass kickers

the whack pack

city on fire

soooo yeah i got what i wanted :lol:

Jade Falcon

Is there any idea of what the upcoming books are because to be honest if it's going to be mostly Slaine I'm seriously considering cancelling.  There is plenty more in 2000AD that could have been done without such a concentration of one character.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Tomwe

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 24 April, 2019, 11:14:56 PM
Is there any idea of what the upcoming books are because to be honest if it's going to be mostly Slaine I'm seriously considering cancelling.  There is plenty more in 2000AD that could have been done without such a concentration of one character.
The Wiki Page's forthcoming list is quite well detailed at this point. Still holes but we know all the remaining books if not the order they will come in.

DrRocka

I find it absolutely baffling that there's so much Slaine stuff yet to come, especially as we've already had the best stuff. WHY, when there's so many great 2000ad that could be there instead?
Never ever bloody anything ever

sintec

Plenty of other non-Slaine bits still to come too: 5 more books of Nikolai Dante, 3-4 more Strontinum Dogs (depending on where your subs at), 2 books of Caballistics, 3 more ABC Warriors.  I'm really looking forward to all of those.

There are another 8 books of Slaine, which means they're going to be quite a regular occurance now.  And I guess you could cherry pick the bits from the above that you want. I'm coming at this fresh so I've not read all this stuff before which I guess gives me a different perspective to those of you who've read it all before and potentially already own it in 1 or more forms.

The Monarch

my hot take is this whole thing has been worth it to get the full eurocrash experience in two hardback books buuuuut thats just me