Main Menu

DREDD screenwriter Alex Garland answers YOUR questions!

Started by Molch-R, 23 August, 2012, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Quote from: DrRocka on 24 August, 2012, 12:36:37 AM
I spent so long reading and re-reading Alex's replies earlier, I was late for tonight's gig! And now I've just rolled in the door, the first thing I've done is put the kettle on (rock n roll, kids) and read this thread again.

Seriously, it's SO good to feel the love between fans and the filmmakers here, and even better to see Goaty and Joe get some recognition for all the positive and reasoned vibes they've put out all over the place. I am shockingly stoked to see this movie.

And in case you're wondering DREDD has finally got the official Rocka family seal of approval. Thirty years ago, when my prog popped through the letterbox every Saturday morning, my Dad and I RACED to be the first to read it.
Now, I pick my prog up from my local thrill vendor on a Wednesday, and my Dad comes over to babysit when I'm out gigging. My daughter jumps all over him when he arrives with her arms full of toys and drawings that she's desperate to show him, but Dad dutifully parks himself on the couch with a cuppa, kisses her on the forehead, and says "not now sweetheart, Grandad will be with you in five minutes". He pops on his reading glasses and devours the prog, cover to cover, before finishing his tea and settling down on the living room floor to play another round of Pop Up Pirate.

Tonight, when Dad arrived, the first action of this 65 year old,freshly retired rugby player was not to greet me as I opened the door, but to grab me by the shoulders on the doorstep and yell

"There's a DREDD poster gone up opposite my house!!"

...And that's all he's gone on about all night. He's made me swear we're going to see it on opening night, and has apparently been sat watching ITV all night in the hope of catching the trailer again.

My Dad outgeeks us all. Alex Garland, you've done a stunning job, sir.

That's a great post!

blackmocco

Hard not to get very excited reading about what would come next in a perfect world. His take on the Dark Judges sounds twisted and just to reiterate, I was dead against them appearing in this interpretation of Dredd until I saw the movie.  Just didn't think it could work in something so high concept into a stripped-down and 'realistic' take. Have no doubts now after seeing how they deal with Anderson.

And Satanus...? Fuck me sideways. Dinosaurs and Dredd?! Too much to take.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

JOE SOAP

radiator

karlurbaninternational

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Quote from: Goaty on 23 August, 2012, 11:35:40 PM
Is it me or does anyone see that Mr Soap got emotional?

Alex, you still the awesome!

Theres some emotion in there GOATY lol
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Excellent read some very intriguing questions and kudos to Alex for answering them all in detail. Roll on the sequels! :)
Never rub another mans rhubarb

PreacherCain

Great stuff! Particularly liked Wagner's description of himself and Garland's ideas about using Chopper in possible sequels (SUPERSURF OR DEATH!)

Beaky Smoochies

Kudos to Alex Garland for both a great (not to mention extensive) and gracious Q & A session earlier, sorry I missed it.  Was reasonably pleased to hear they'd only need around $60m to do a sequel the way they would like to do it (hope they drop the 3-D and concentrate resources on production values alone), here's to everyone here going to see - and bringing as many other people to see - Dredd upon release, let's get that box-office total as high as possible.  Despite what Alex says during that Q & A, I sincerely hope they get a sequel and that he's very much at the creative forefront of it's making... also nice to hear the Dark Judges would be created via (mostly) physical effects in the event they ever get to make that movie, I very much hope so.

Next stop, September 7th, it ain't long now...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Danbo

Fantastic read and well done to all the cameo crew,proper jelous :)

One thing tha struck me is Mr Garlands love of Dredd really came through,not seen that kind off affection for a subject since Pete Jackson on the LOTR films.... Feel a bit of an arse now for my questioning of the first lawmaster shot,even though now after seeing more angles and it in action I would gladly sell my arse for one.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Danbo

And Chopper ,one of my fave characters ever can't wait for that.....please have sky surfing please
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Keef Monkey

Thanks so much Mr Garland! When the news broke that it would be DNA and that you were writing I knew our favourite comic character was in safe hands, and everything I've seen since has just confirmed that.

And you've really gone above and beyond the call of duty here. I missed the question phase, but these guys covered all the bases and it made for a fantastic read.

So thrilled to the guys getting namechecked too, Goaty must be walking on air right now!

Spaceghost

That was amazing. Thanks to Mike for arranging it, and a massive thank you to Alex for indulging us old fan-boys.

Congratulations to Goaty, Joe Soap, Radiator, Commando Forces and all the other boarders who will be immortalised on screen. We salute you.

There was a lot of talk of possible sequels and some of the ideas that Alex mentioned were mind blowing. For instance -

Quote from: Alex on 23 August, 2012, 06:41:43 PMIf I was involved in a second movie, it would be about origins and subversion, and Chopper would feature.  In fact, I think Chopper would start and end the story.  Apart from him, my rough plan involves Fargo, Giant, Angel Gang, and a version of Satanus.  For a trilogy, add Cal and the dark judges.  And Anderson would be in all three.

My grud, just imagine that...

I also think this would be fantastic -

Quote from: Alex on 23 August, 2012, 06:41:43 PMBut by the way, just so it has been said, I actually think that maybe the best way forward for Dredd is television.  American TV has completely rewritten the rule book where filmed drama is concerned.  Game Of Thrones/The Wire/Breaking Bad... An equivalent version of Dredd would be fucking great.  Imagine the epics...

Alex's version of the Dark Judges sounds brilliant and I really hope we get to the stage where we see them on the screen -

Quote from: Alex on 23 August, 2012, 06:41:43 PMThe existential side to the Dark Judges is that they don't see a point to life.  If my film-trilogy daydream was to play out, I would completely rewrite my original script for the Dark Judges - because it was junk - and start again.  And I'd make them deeply fucking weird and spooky, and sort of philosophical. So, very broadly, Death would be in an actual judge's uniform that get progressively fucked up, rather than starting with a portcullis helmet.

- although this set my 'over-worried geek' circuits off -

Quote from: Alex on 23 August, 2012, 06:41:43 PMAnd if everyone hates that idea, relax, because it'll never happen.

As did this -

Quote from: Alex on 23 August, 2012, 06:41:43 PMBut again, if you hate this idea, relax, because it will almost certainly never happen.

AND this -

Quote from: Alex on 23 August, 2012, 06:41:43 PMQ:  If the studio commissions a sequel, would you definitely do it? Or have we assumed too much?

A:  There are some variables which would rule me out immediately.

...I hope there hasn't been a decision made already that would sink any possible sequels or keep Alex from working on them. That would be a massive shame.

Obviously that's just my over-active imagination reading things into some potentially innocent comments but it did make me feel a bit dis-heartened about the future of the Dredd film franchise.

Anyway, focusing on the positives, THIS Dredd film has been in very safe hands from the beginning and this Q&A session has only made me feel more confident that it will be the Dredd film we've all been waiting for. YAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!

One final thought, Mike, would you consider possibly repeating this Q&A format with a few select 2000 AD art and script droids? I reckon that would be fantastic.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

FoldsFive

What a brilliant read.  Kudos to Alex for taking the time out for this, from what at this stage of the films life must be an incredibly hectic period.

IndigoPrime

I'd just like to add my thanks to Alex for taking the time to answer all those questions, and I do mean all those questions. I cannot think of a single other time I've ever seen someone involved with a film comb through every question and try to tackle every point. Again, it showcases a genuine respect and love for the source material, but also an appreciation for the fans who love the material.