Main Menu

Graphic Novel Suggestions

Started by Andy B, 11 May, 2012, 03:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy B

I've been picking up a bunch of GNs to rebuild my collection, having been forced to ditch a lifetime's collection of progs recently. It's been great to catch up on some stuff I haven't read for years, but there are some gaps that badly need filling. So, on the offchance that somebody with influence is listening, here goes...

- Judge Dredd: The Gordon Rennie Collection. Reprinting the contemporary Wagner stories is obviously the right call, but Rennie has written some great stuff, and at this rate I could well be dead before the Case Files get round to it. Blood Trails, obviously, but there's plenty more to make up an excellent volume.

- Return to Armageddon. Just read Meltdown Man and it was a blast - pure nostalgia but, unusually, better than I remembered it from the time. RtA ran at about the same time, I think: good old-school thrills.

- Slaine and Dante early volumes (2 & 3) need reprinting. Or, we need follow-ups to the US editions of vol 1. What's going on with them? Nemesis vol 2 was promised but vanished. If I was a new reader, I'd be put off buying, say, the imminent Rogue Trooper vol 1, by the fact that it already seems unlikely to ever be continued...

- Complete Button Man, for the US market. 'From the writer of A History of Violence'. You know it makes sense! Same format and quality as that excellent Bad Company collection, would be nice.

- Speaking of the US market, I know I'm not the only person to get frustrated that America is being fed some of the worst ever Dredd stories just because they are by Morrison / Miller. I can understand the reasoning - but why not mix it up a bit? Put Crusade out if you must, with star names all over the cover, but why not sneak in a top-drawer Wagner story as back-up. Mandroid instead of Frankenstein Division - why not? Get them interested in the good stuff.

- More anthology editions, like the recent Terror Tales: that was a good idea. Clearly someone at Rebellion loves Massimo Belardinelli - and quite right too - so how about The Dead? Plus, say, Shadows and Tribal Memories. Nice package - Milligan's surely a big enough name to sell in the US.

That'll do for now. If somebody can just sort that lot out, I'll let you know if I think of anything else...

The Adventurer

Lobster Random and The Red Seas vol.2 before anything else. *arms crossed*

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Robo-K33F

Quote from: awbrown on 11 May, 2012, 03:46:13 AM

we need follow-ups to the US editions of vol 1. What's going on with them? Nemesis vol 2 was promised but vanished.

It's all about supply and demand - no demand, no supply. Scheduling books and promising books are two entirely different things...we schedule our trade releases.

- Complete Button Man, for the US market. 'From the writer of A History of Violence'. You know it makes sense! Same format and quality as that excellent Bad Company collection, would be nice.

Hmmm...have I been the victim of phone tapping?

- Speaking of the US market, I know I'm not the only person to get frustrated that America is being fed some of the worst ever Dredd stories just because they are by Morrison / Miller. I can understand the reasoning - but why not mix it up a bit? Put Crusade out if you must, with star names all over the cover, but why not sneak in a top-drawer Wagner story as back-up. Mandroid instead of Frankenstein Division - why not? Get them interested in the good stuff.

We are doing that with a collection of Dredd books known as the Case Files - vol. 5 has come out and is highly recommended. The Mega-City Masters books had plenty of good strips in too.

- More anthology editions, like the recent Terror Tales: that was a good idea.

Thanks - I have them now and then. Tharg's Creepy Chronicles will be out in October.

Clearly someone at Rebellion loves Massimo Belardinelli - and quite right too - so how about The Dead?

That would be me - guilty as charged. So how about Mean Team?

Pioneer

Gordon Rennie collection most definitely, I'm eager to read Blood Trails, Gulag, Regime Change etc, so much so that I'm seriously considering drawing for the back issues, which could prove expensive but also a lot of fun!

But yeah a collected volume would be more practical, also maybe Doomsday Scenario, gotta be a good few years before Case Files reaches that?

The Bissler

As a lapsed 2000AD reader I'd be delighted just to see the complete case files released a bit more frequently.  Since the case files started encompassing the megazines as well as the 2000AD sotries (which I am delighted about - don't want to miss anything!) it seems to take two case files books to cover one year of Dredd.  But with only two case files being published each year this means we are going to remain almost 20 years behind current Dredd.
I understand that there should be a reluctance for the case files to catch up with current Judge Dredd stories as this would likely harm sales of both 2000AD and the megazine, but surely there wouldn't be much impact if the lag was reduced to a decade; i.e. bring out maybe at least another one case files book a year until the case files catch up to within 10 years behind then slow down their publication?...
Maybe I should have posted this to the "suggestions" thread!

The Bissler

BTW...I know my response is in suggestions thread!  What I meant was maybe I should have posted it to the thread as a seperate topic!