Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost MacRoth

Lately been playing sniper elite after picking it up for a fiver.  Enjoyable game, but wish it had the 'Hitman' element of disguise. :D
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

radiator

Quote from: JamesC on 01 June, 2013, 05:29:18 PM
Just started X-Com on the Xbox 360 this afternoon - I think this is going to be a good one!

I've also downloaded Knights of the Old Republic on the iPad which I'm looking forward to. Never played it before.

Xcom is out on iPad soon, looking forward to it.

Hotline Miami is supposed to be out on PSN very soon, been looking forward to that for ages!

I, Cosh

Beyond Good and Evil via XBLA. It's good. It's interesting how some games can have exactly the same type of collecting mechanic but the way it's presented makes it seem completely new. Taking pictures of the assorted flora and fauna in this is almost giving me the same sense of blissful satisfaction as feeding the little animals in Okami.
We never really die.

Emp

Bioshock Infinite..having enjoyed the 2 previous outings i was expecting more of the same...but not to be. Now while quite enjoyable it suffers from the 2 things i hate most in any FPS...can only carry 2 weapons (which for me tends to end up being the wrong 2 for any given situation) and bloody checkpoint saves. There are no words strong enough to express how much i hate check point saves.
Now i may be wrong (it has been known) but i can't remember the 1st 2 games having this limited weapon and check point save malarky. Now, if I'm right , why change it now?

The other thing about Infinite is that it lacks the atmospheric and claustrophobic feeling that the first 2 games had.

So all in all it's a good little shooter (checkpoints aside)...but I don't see it as Bioshock.

Professor Bear

Crysis - though it's a download-only port of a 6 year-old PC game, I can't believe it never got a hard media release.
The closest gameplay experience would probably be the first Halo, though with a larger play area, stronger story, and you can't sleepwalk through the campaign due to low difficulty.  The stealth mechanics at first seemed a little clunky - the limited charge of your suit's cloak seeming the main barrier to using stealth as a long-term playing strategy - but once you fiddle with it and notice things like the cloak's power diminishing much slower if you stay still and crouch, you come up with strategies for navigating to cover so you can recharge the cloak in safety instead of just bulling through shooting the shit out of everyone and everything - though if you fancy doing that, you can bolt to cover and let your cloak recharge, then sneak to other cover quickly and ambush enemies still shooting at where you used to be.  Or you can use the charge to power a shield so you can be more gung-ho in your playthrough.  There are lots of different ways to get from A to B and while unforgiving, the mechanics are consistent, so it's down to how good you are with your chosen tactics.
Damn good game, and for something six years old it gives a lot of contemporary FPS' a run for their money in the visuals department.

Emp

Original Crysis is brilliant and I have to agree with you say regarding the cloak and the suits protection. Never is a full on charge the way to go. I found a hit and run (away an' hide) approach to work best. Just as long as you didn't alert a lot of people.

shaolin_monkey

State of Decay -open world zombie survival. Rather good, despite some choppy frame rates and collision detection.

Zarjazzer

Call of Juarez Gunslinger for PC. Good but not spectacular set in the wild West. An interesting set up in that it's told in a huge 'Nam style flashback style but good shootey fun. Some annoyances the controls are shoddy on some sections especially the one on one gun fights with bosses but if you persevere you'll eventually hit something. Lovely looking back drops and in bits you almost feel the heat.One thing of note is the excellent voice characterisations that really give it a "western" feel.

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Satanist

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 08 June, 2013, 12:55:58 AM
State of Decay -open world zombie survival. Rather good, despite some choppy frame rates and collision detection.

Yeah the graphics/collision detection are a bit ropey but as a zombie survival sim I'm really quite enjoying this so far.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Goaty

Got Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite for my birthday yesterday, play both a bit tonight, oh my gosh, they got beautiful openings!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Does Skyrim ever end? I kinda want it to, but I don't really...
Lock up your spoons!

JamesC

Went old school with Qix on the gameboy. Simple, addictive fun!

Link Prime

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 10 June, 2013, 10:32:51 PM
Does Skyrim ever end? I kinda want it to, but I don't really...

Never

ThryllSeekyr

I recently picked up Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines on Steam for $19.99.

Vampire®: The Masquerade-Bloodlines™ delivers a new type of RPG experience-one that blends all the core elements of a traditional RPG with the graphical richness, immediacy and brutal combat of a first-person action game. The game plunges players into the dark and gritty vampire underworld of modern-day L.A. as a creature of the night. Players will develop their character's powers, interact with other characters and embark on story-driven quests as they battle mortals and other vampires with an incredible array of vampire powers and weapons. Powered by Valve's Source Technology, the game is based on White Wolf's popular Vampire: The Masquerade pen-and-paper RPG series and its official clans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire:_The_Masquerade_%E2%80%93_Bloodlines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire:_The_Masquerade

The game starts with character creation questionnaire which will define your characters attributes and Vampire clan. You have the choice of this or just manually chooseing your characters stats and Vampire clan.

So far they made me a Brujah. Clan Brujah is largely composed of rebels, both with and without causes. I have played through the introduction and tutorial level up until they give me a place to stay. A Haven and the details of my first contact and mission.

Professor Bear

Just spent my evening (and going by the clock, a good chunk of my morning) playing and finishing The Last of Us, which delivered a respectable 15 hours and 47 minutes of perfection.
I didn't actually think very much of the demo that came out a few weeks ago, but the full game delivers in spades exactly what I want from a survival horror game - good controls, balanced combat, sympathetic characters - while simultaneously seeming to be a calculated insult to those who prefer their gaming without structure and/or in 12-hour Red-Bull-fuelled online multiplayer marathons full of playful racism and misogyny, as you simply cannot play it as you would an action game by wading into enemies with guns blazing, you have to sneak about and find or build supplies and weapons so you're ready for when you finally do have to resort to combat instead of stealth, although one of the game's best features is that despite emphasising stealth, the combat is some of the most rewarding I've ever played, and every time I killed someone I was utterly convinced the fucker had it coming­­­ - and I don't even mean the inevitable pedos/cannibals you encounter, either, I mean the cops who keep order in the cities and even the rebels who hate the cops, I just wanted to kill the fuck out of those guys so bad that resorting to stealth instead of caving their heads in with a brick left me with a bad taste in my mouth.
This is not a game for players who hate story-driven play, though it's also not what I would call "cinematic", as it's less like a film and more like a dvd box set of a one-season tv show that didn't get renewed but the writers had a heads-up the axe was falling and decided not to be assholes and wrote a proper ending.  Speaking of the ending, it's just perfect.  The more I think about it, the better it is, but basically it underlines how the whole game is about a single theme that unites everything from the metaphorical meaning of the game's title to the motivations of the human antagonists to the bond that forms between the main characters and even the setting of their final exchange.  It gives the player a hell of a lot of credit in a way pretty much no other game does, as it invests you completely in the protagonists but also doesn't spell things out for you, even going so far as to massively red-herring the shit out of where the final levels may be going, and almost as an afterthought it also salvages the zombie genre.
Game of the year by a country mile.