Main Menu

Alan Moore

Started by ukdane, 26 September, 2005, 12:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

That's probably unfair, and I don't think what Alan Moore has said about the rights of his comics books or the movie rights backs that up.

WoD

Um...help an old man out here...'could' someone else write a Halo Jones story, i.e. could tooth comission it with another writer?

IndigoPrime

Legally, yes. However, I don't think they would, especially after what happened with Skizz.

Eric Plumrose

'Would Alan Moore have got where he is now without 2000 AD?'

Probably. Alan's first major series for 2000 AD, was 'Skizz' by which time, iirc, he was already causing a stir both here and in the States with 'Marvelman', 'V for Vendetta', and, to a lesser extent, 'Captain Britain'. Until 'Skizz', Alan had pretty much turned 'Tharg's Future Shocks' into a one-man show, much to his creative frustration, apparently.

'Would Warrior have existed without 2000 AD?'

Possibly. Dez Skinn was responsible for Doctor Who Weekly and, along with people such as Steve Moore, etc., was very much a part of the British comics -- I'm trying to avoid using the word, but -- scene in the late '70s/early '80s.

'2000 AD does not get the credit it deserves.'

Really? By whom? Alan Moore has been quite forward in his praise for 2000 AD and, in particular, Alan Grant for giving him the chance to do what he loves doing: writing. Sure, those various artists and writers usually got their first big break working for 2000 AD but if you're gonna argue that, then one may as well argue that, without Action, there wouldn't have been 2000 AD.

But yeah, of all the British comics since Ally Sloper, 2000 AD is the only one I can think of that has evolved constantly.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

VampiraJen

VampiraJen

btw, it says on the back of my copy of watchmen '...britains influential 2000ad...'

House of Usher

The second series of Skizz, and I think the third series as well, were both written by the series artist Jim Baikie, without Alan Moore to provide the story.

I enjoyed both, but apparently neither were considered 2000ad classics.

Halo Jones written by someone else just wouldn't be the same.

I for one am happy with the three books of Halo Jones we got, and I never expected to see more, even though more books were planned.
STRIKE !!!

Tweak72

i aggree with HOU Halo went out that was it!
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

House of Usher

I thought the writing was on the wall for Halo Jones when we saw her being treated as the subject of a history class in her own future. That, to me, seemed like a way to frame the final instalment in her life story, not the way to begin a sprawling biographical epic. But it could have gone either way, I suppose.
STRIKE !!!

paulvonscott

Yeah, the questions are would it be as good as previously, this is 20 years later, it would surely be different at leat.  And also, would it have as good an end as book 3?  I dunno!

Someone mentioned Alan Moore doing a new series, now to my mind, that would be great.  I always like to read his stuff, even if it's not on a topic I'd normally want to read.

I can't see it happening, so it's just idle speculation.

Art

World War One was influential, but very few people who experienced it wanted to go back to it...

Oddboy

Quite a different kettle o' fish though - I doubt any veterans would demand the rights to their contributions (i.e. legal responsibility for anyone they shot) in WW1 before they'd agree to fight again.

I'm quite happy leaving Halo at three books - the risk of Book IV being shite when compared is too daunting to risk it.
Even if they got Moore back to 2000AD, I somehow doubt he'd give them his best work. Maybe that's unfair, but it's just a hunch based on something that's not going to happen anyway.

Better set your phaser to stun.

Art

The history class and Halo disapearing into the great beyond pretty much wraps it up for me too.

Alan Moores quite happy doing his own thing right now. I recentkly transcribed an interview with him (coming soon in a forthcoming edition of Mustard) and he seemed very unlikely to work on anything not thoroughly creator owned and a bit weird in the near future.

As for peopel who are actually upset that he refused to do anything for 2000ad, well, it's not like he threw the rattle out of the pram like Morrison or Mills, and he has a perfect right to work for whoever he wants and demand whatever conditions he wants.

Satanist

Lets face it, Mr Moore is well and truly past his best. Let the old boy enjoy retiremant.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Art

Well appart from LOEG and a couple of other very intersting sounding projects...