Main Menu

The new Trek......

Started by the shutdown man, 18 January, 2008, 09:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Tiplodocus

Nice teaser.

I liked NEMESIS too.  I don't know what everyone's beefs were with it. The only bit I didn't like was some pub physics in the ramming scene.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

dweezil2

"I liked NEMESIS too. I don't know what everyone's beefs were with it."

Personally my resevations of Nemesis stem from it's tired leaden plot, a seemingly bored cast, uninspired direction and an overiding whiff of cheapness.
Borrowing, as it does, many similar plot points from The Wrath Of Khan, it simply can't compete with that particular classic.
Infact apart from the valiant attempt that was First Contact all of the Next Gen movies where universally poor imho.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

TordelBack

Of the TNG movies, Nemesis is slightly better than its immediate predecessor, whose name I have blocked from my memory but recall as Star Trek with the production values and plot structure of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, but it's marginally worse than the leaden Generations, and is not fit to lick First Contact's stompy boots.  

It reminds me of ST-V: The Final Frontier, but without the very minor redeeming qualities of tke Kirk-Spock-McCoy campfire song and the terrific "Why does God need a starship?" line, which for one brief moment recalled everything that was once great about James T. Kirk.

Richmond Clements

Star Trek with the production values and plot structure of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys

Haha! I never thought of it like that, but you're right!
Still, I do like the, admittedly corny line, 'We're through running from these bastards', that Riker says.

Tiplodocus

"Personally my resevations of Nemesis stem from":

"it's tired leaden plot"
See I thought it was quite exciting - Romulan intrigues, direct threats to Earth, lots of questions about identity and what defines you, car chases, skimmer chases through ship corridors, hand to hand fights, spaceship battles, noble sacrifice, hopes of rebirth.

"a seemingly bored cast"
never spotted that either - Spiner seemed to be having fun, especially at the wedding and with his Man Child B-4, Picard also and I thought we had an interesting baddie in Tom Hardy.  I don't recall the rest of tehm being more "bored" than usual.

"uninspired direction"
I'll probably give you this - no directorial flourishes that I can recall (was Troi in the lift an extra?) but then again, there aren't a terrific amount in many of the other pictures are there?

"and an overiding whiff of cheapness."
Again, I thought we had some very impressive sets and special effects.  Some aspects of Star Trek have *always* looked cheap though.

"Borrowing, as it does, many similar plot points from The Wrath Of Khan, it simply can't compete with that particular classic. "

Agree there are some very similar plot beats but, possibly because I like TNG so much, I felt more choked up about Data than I did about Spock.

Heck, I even thought INSURRECTION was good so what do I know.

FIRST CONTACT is my favourite Trek film bar none.  Oddly, it was pretty much unlike normal Star Trek that had gone before what with it's mass space battles (on screen), space suit fights, hand to hand fights and evil borg sexiness.  I had to choke back a tear when Picard went to rescue Data.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

the shutdown man

I admit, I don't think Nemesis was as bad as many people seem to think it is, but it certainly wasn't great. For one thing, the whole "Bad guy is Picard's clone" really just felt like a gimmick to me. They spent so long mulling over it in long therapy sessions in the film, but in the end, it didn't really add anything to the plot.

As for Data, I didn't think that was a great moment at all because A) it was badly done (why would an android in an empty room wait until the timer reaches one second before firing? Dramatic effect?) and B) Total rip-off of Wrath, good friend of the captain dies, but leaves his memories in someone else, so there is hope.

Also, the Remans looked crap.

It certainly had its moments, the huge battle is one, and Shinzon made a good villain, despite the nature of the character. But it just didn't do anything particularly memorable.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

the shutdown man

Ol' Abrams, he sure do love that Viral marketing; If you click on the flashing red dot on the official trailer site, you get taken to another site with four camera feeds. You can fiddle about with the bars under three of the cameras to get a picture, but they don't show much. Yet.

TordelBack

I had to choke back a tear when Picard went to rescue Data.

Tru'dat.  First Contact is a brilliant re-working of ST-IV:TVH (shiny Federation meets gritty reality of the past, to avert unstoppable threat from the future), which was of course the third best and most popular of the TOS movies, with all the special effects goodness of the modern era mixed with the better acting and comfortable confident feel of the TNG characters.  

It's remarkable in that all the main cast get a chance to shine (even Deanna with her drunken-Daphne accent) and develop their interrelationships, but the supporting cast is just as good and just as interesting, with three 'new' fleshed-out characters in the Queen, Lilly and Cochrane (alas, poor Lt. Hawk).  Cameos and self-referential jokes abound, and there's a healthy dose of violence and suspense in the main plot, and a whiff of underplayed romance and an  exuberant sense of optimistic adventure in the sub-plots.  

At the time I felt  bit let down by how easily the Borg were defeated/discredited as unstoppable foes, but had I known what ignominy Voyager had planned for them, I doubt I would have minded such a minor sleight.

"You broke your little ships".  Marvellous.

TordelBack

I forget to mention that the only real problem with First Contact is that it seemed to inspire someone to think that Enterprise was a good idea.

Bico

I suppose that plot for the Abrahms movie now explains why the fan-financed and fan-made Of Gods And Men is over a year late - the plots are identical, but OGOM has been several years in the making.
The first part's online to be viewed via streaming video (though bittorrent might be a better idea), and it's clearly no-budget, but entertaining enough in a straightforward manner.  Lots of cameos from main cast members across all the Trek series, too - barring Enterprise (even Trek fans won't watch it - that's gotta sting).

Link: http://startrekofgodsandmen.net/" target="_blank">Cheapo fan effort

Tweak72

At this point I must say that I must be the only person who thought Enterprise was actually rather good. I liked the Storys, the Characters and the design of the show. But then I was the only one for at least the first 3 seasons who liked Voyager. The biggest complaint was Janeways Voice. Then suddenly every one was saying it was the best thing since sliced bread. Hey ho.
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

the shutdown man

I started out watching Enterprise, and watched it regularly for the first season, and I thought it was okay, and enjoyable enough in places, but it wasn't blowing me away. I thought the episodes involving the temporal cold war were pretty interesting, but at the same time, I thought it was a bad idea to have time travel be an integral part of the show. (Yeah, I know, it always crops up in Trek, but to have it be a major part of an ongoing story is a bad idea, IMHO. Too much potential for problems.)

The point I realised that they completely dropped the ball, and were looking to the old shows for ideas was an episode where someone (the communications girl I think) has an accident and is assumed dead, but is actually on the ship, invisiable and with the ability to walk through walls, and she has to find a way to tell someone she's alive. Basically, a plot identical to a Next Generation episode. So, I only watched it occasionally after that, and I pretty muched stopped soon after.

TordelBack

Basically, a plot identical to a Next Generation episode.

Two TNG episodes, I think.  And a TOS episode.  And a DS9 episode.  And probably not dissimilar to a Voyager episode.

SamuelAWilkinson

Personally, I like to dream of the Voyager that could've been, when Kelsey Grammar was slated for the role of the Captain.

"Niiiiiiiiiiiiles!"

(Y'know, in the "Khaaaaaan" voice).
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.