Main Menu

Gorgeous new hardcover for 2000 AD classic, Strontium Dog, coming summer 2020

Started by IndigoPrime, 11 October, 2019, 06:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Mutant mayhem: gorgeous new hardcover for 2000 AD classic, Strontium Dog, coming summer 2020

The earliest adventures of one of 2000 AD's greatest characters - Strontium Dog - are to be reprinted in colour for the first time in decades.

Reprinted with its original colour pages, Strontium Dog: Search and Destroy is a sumptuous 144-page hardcover collecting the origins of John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra's hard-hitting story of prejudice and violence.

The 210 x 276mm book, retailing at £19.99, will hit shelves on 26th June 2020 with a new introduction by co-creator John Wagner and featuring gorgeous artwork by Ezquerra, along with Brendan McCarthy, and Ian Gibson.

Strontium Dog: Search and Destroy brings back into print one of the seminal series of British comics, a science fiction Western that merges everything from time travel to a trip to Hell itself. This new edition, with colour centre spreads lovingly restored, is a must for fans and collectors alike, putting these stories back to their rightful place as one of the key series in the annals of British comics.

Originally published in Starlord, 2000 AD's sister comic, these early stories had a profound effect upon readers, including future film director Edgar Wright. After the comic merged with 2000 AD, Johnny Alpha quickly became a fan favourite character and Strontium Dog remains one of the most iconic strips in the history of British comics.

The series is set in a world where nuclear war has left two classes of people - the mutants and the Norms. The mutant, their bodies warped by Strontium 90 fallout, are a persecuted minority barred from public life and herded into ghettos. Their only option for employment is as 'Strontium Dogs', bounty hunters tracking down the scum of the galaxy for cold, hard cash. It's a difficult and dangerous life where only the toughest can survive. But Johnny Alpha and his Viking partner, Wulf Sternhammer, are the toughest there is.

One of the most influential names in the British comics industry, John Wagner started his professional career in the 1960s, working for DC Thompson in Dundee. Sub-editing various titles including Romeo, Wagner went freelance in the early seventies, forming a writing partnership with Pat Mills. Soon after, Wagner then made the move down south, joining IPC's staff, where he initially edited girls' titles, Sandie and Princess Tina, before helping to develop Battle Picture Weekly. Appointed as editor to the ailing boys' comic Valiant, Wagner had an instant impact, co-creating and writing the hard-hitting cop strip One-Eyed Jack. He is best known as the co-creator of both Judge Dredd and Strontium Dog for 2000 AD.

Carlos Ezquerra is one of the biggest names in British comics, his utterly unique style and designs inspiring generations of comics fans and creators. Originally from Zaragoza in Spain, Ezquerra began his career on Spanish romance titles before getting work for IPC in London, where he moved from romance onto war and action stories, working extensively on Battle Picture Weekly and Action on strips such as El Mestizo, Rat Pack and Major Eazy. As co-creator of Judge Dredd for 2000 AD, Ezquerra designed the classic original costume as well as visually conceptualising Mega-City One. He also co-created Strontium Dog and illustrated A.B.C. Warriors, Judge Anderson, Tharg the Mighty, Al's Baby and Cursed Earth Koburn, amongst many others. Away from 2000 AD, Ezquerra illustrated Third World War for Crisis magazine, and regularly worked with Garth Ennis on Adventures in the Rifle Brigade, Bloody Mary, Just a Pilgrim, Condors, The Magnificent Kevin, and Preacher. He passed away in 2018.

IndigoPrime

^

This is pretty great – the missing piece that'll slot in with the Hachette collection and ensure none of the S/D material is missed out in HC.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 October, 2019, 06:54:33 PM
^

This is pretty great – the missing piece that'll slot in with the Hachette collection and ensure none of the S/D material is missed out in HC.

I know, so excited!  :D  Been hankering for this volume for years.

All we need now is that Hachette extension, with a final Stronty hardcover collecting Jing-Jong Job through to The Son
@jamesfeistdraws

Bolt-01

Steve Green

Was Journey into Hell collected in the Hachette books with colour spreads?

Tjm86

So the news today is of plans to reprint the Starlord tales in a hardback edition with colour pages in full colour.

Thank you Rebellion!   :D

Not 'til June next year.

F***!   :(

Soon as this goes on preorder I know what I'll be doing.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Steve Green on 12 October, 2019, 09:51:17 AMWas Journey into Hell collected in the Hachette books with colour spreads?
Nope – black and white (not greyscale).

Steve Green

Cheers,

I'd skipped a few of them, must have forgotten and that's why I didn't bother with that volume.

hoping for a Vol 2 in this style then.

There are a few things that could be added for that - some colour annual/special stories for example.

Colin YNWA

Its so good to see these quality hardcover things coming out. Okay so the Nemesis one was a bit of a tease it was so limited but good to see more of this type of thing.

Max Headroom

Brilliant news! Hope all the extra stories are included to make it the complete experience.

sheridan

As somebody who's recently read the Starlord stories it's great that they're finally being reprinted in their original colour!

sintec

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 October, 2019, 06:54:33 PM
^

Yep it's certainly hit my must buy list for precisely that reason. Awesome.

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 11 October, 2019, 08:02:20 PM
All we need now is that Hachette extension, with a final Stronty hardcover collecting Jing-Jong Job through to The Son

^This very much this. There are going to be a few series missing endings if we don't get an extension. Would be a shame to get so close to being complete and then fail at the final hurdle.

dweezil2

Are the dimensions of the GN listed Starlord size or something bigger?
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Tjm86

Personally I'm glad they've done this rather than including it with Hachette.  Rebellion's printing choices do sometimes seem a little arcane though.  One moment they're doing hardback's, the next it's softcover only.  I get how with strips such as Trigan, colour can make the cost potentially prohibitive.  Then again they go with hardback editions of arcane stuff from Wildcats of all places.

As has been observed as well, some of the limited runs they have done have been snapped up at an incredible rate of knots.  Nemesis, Zenith and Thirteenth Floor all went pretty quickly.  Quite a few others have lingered for a long time after publication.

I for one would love Rebellion to do a proper run of Stront as hardback editions, limited or otherwise.  They gave us the Vote Dave t-shirt, maybe there is hope!