Main Menu

Inevitable "crap music" thread

Started by Professor Bear, 23 April, 2014, 09:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 05 March, 2016, 09:15:27 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 05 March, 2016, 03:32:05 PMi'm desperatly trying to drown in out with some Led Zepplin through head phones but christ I can still hear the mysogyny permeating i to my ear cavity

Then stop listening to Led Zep.
Oyy!  :lol:

JayzusB.Christ

There's a breed of singer / songwriter that's become popular over the last ten or fifteen years, and it genuinely upsets me whenever I hear them. 
Not entirely sure which is which (James Blunt, Damien Rice etc) but they're typified for me by whiny, poe-faced and bollockless rubbish like 'You're Beautiful' and 'Float Like a Cannonball'.

I wish they'd all just stop feeling so fecking sorry for themselves,  remember the spirit of rock and roll and generally grow a pair.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Right first time, that's James Blunt. Painful music, utter tosh.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

There's a similar thing with female vocalists whimpering along to a piano cover version. You always hear them on John Lewis ads.
You may quote me on that.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Mister Pops on 08 March, 2016, 04:40:28 PM
There's a similar thing with female vocalists whimpering along to a piano cover version. You always hear them on John Lewis ads.

I quite like Tori Amos, but even I know if you find yourself doing something she realised was a terrible idea fifteen years ago, you should probably stop.

radiator

The worst one I've ever heard was some girl doing a cover of Straight Outta Compton by NWA in this style. Trying waaaaaaay too hard. Awful.

Dandontdare

indeed - slow, wistful semi-acoustic covers of rollicking rock songs - just.... NO!

JayzusB.Christ

Agreed.  I think I've heard the aforementioned few minutes of pissing on Eazy E's grave; it's as bad as you'd expect.

Now, see that Lady Gaga and Rhianna? I don't hate them. In fact I like quite a few of their songs.  Manufactured they may be but I'd place them far above the 'slow, wistful, semi-acoustic' tripe in question, in terms of energy, attitude and indeed quality. 

As for Blunt and co: Come the revolution,  they will be forced, Clockwork Orange style, to watch videos of Jagger, Pop,  Rotten and Jay Hawkins until they promise to be rock 'n' roll and never to be twee and shit again.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

Quote from: radiator on 08 March, 2016, 06:46:46 PMThe worst one I've ever heard was some girl doing a cover of Straight Outta Compton by NWA in this style. Trying waaaaaaay too hard. Awful.

That's actually a meme from several years back.  The whole point is that it's taking the piss - even Ben Folds was regularly doing a cover of Bitches Ain't Shit at one point.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Ollamh Iompróidh on 08 March, 2016, 08:03:08 PM
Quote from: radiator on 08 March, 2016, 06:46:46 PMThe worst one I've ever heard was some girl doing a cover of Straight Outta Compton by NWA in this style. Trying waaaaaaay too hard. Awful.

That's actually a meme from several years back. 

I only have a vague memory of it, but if it's a piss take then fair play to them (they're on my side).

Professor Bear

The first clue it's a joke is a white singer using the n-word several times in a song and still having a career afterwards.  Well... inasmuch as you can call being in Veruca Salt "a career."

JayzusB.Christ

Here it is.  Tell the truth, it is quite funny, now that I hear it properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG2EGOB9-lc

I, Cosh

YOU ARE NOW ABOUT TO WITNESS THE STRENGTH OF STREET KNOWLEDGE.
Quote from: radiator on 08 March, 2016, 06:46:46 PM
The worst one I've ever heard was some girl doing a cover of Straight Outta Compton by NWA in this style. Trying waaaaaaay too hard. Awful.
I assume you're talking about this cover of Straight Outta Compton by Nina Gordon, formerly of Breeders-beholden 90s indie also rans Verucca Salt. Each to his own, but I don't really understand the "trying too hard" comment and I think you might be missing the point quite spectacularly.

I don't really think "taking the piss" covers it either. The first time I heard it, I laughed but I also thought it was a pretty entertaining take on the original and an amusing reaction to the vogue for looping a couple of lines from an older record and slapping it over a crappy beat. In that sense, it reminds me of another favourite cover. In the dark days of the late 80s, every indie guitar band thought it was the most original and hilarious thing ever to knock out an amped up cover of a pop hit. Sadly, for every poignant Lemonheads, there was a witless Lawnmover Deth waiting in the wings. Then Galaxie 500 flipped the whole thing round with their astonishing, catatonic version of The Pistols' Submission.

For me, her cover does a lot of things. Firstly, it reminds you that a really great song can stand up to a battering and a whole bunch of interpretations without being harmed.

It shows that anger can be felt and expressed in different ways. Of course I'm not going to say it's the equal of the original. Without that aggressive, driving howl it could never be, but  while naked aggression is invigorating and cathartic but does quiet rage get more done?

I have no idea what the genesis of this recording was. Maybe it was a laugh at a gig and she didn't know all the words. Maybe it was a laugh at a gig and a couple of other people pitched in with the other parts. Maybe not.

Either way, it's worth considering that it's not a cover of the whole song. It's a cover of Ice Cube's verses. Sure, it's inherently funny to hear a nice white college girl singing ghetto lyrics but can't we all be angry at the same things? Not sure about you but I think I can see how a woman could put her own spin on "You too boy, if you fuck with me/ The police are gonna have to come and get me/ Off your ass..." a lot more easily than Ren's immortal couplet "Shoot a motherfucker in a minute/ Or find a good piece o' pussy and go off in it."
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Whoops. Looks like I took this shit too seriously.
Quote from: Ollamh Iompróidh on 08 March, 2016, 08:03:08 PM
That's actually a meme from several years back.  The whole point is that it's taking the piss - even Ben Folds was regularly doing a cover of Bitches Ain't Shit at one point.
Did they have memes back then? Both are basically coterminous with Ewan Mcgregor and Scarlett Johannson starring in The Island. I hadn't even signed up to this forum or started reading 2000AD again in 2005.
We never really die.

Professor Bear