Main Menu

Alan Titchmarsh

Started by M.I.K., 21 March, 2010, 01:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banners

One of the commentators at YouTube suggests that video games don't inspire violence...

"I remember watching this and wanting to punch that stupid bitch in the ovaries"

(!)

vzzbux

What maddened me was the fact that they were constantly going on about stopping the youngsters from playing the games and the reply is always going to be the age certificate has been put on the games. Talk about going round in circles. It seemed to me that their argument was crushed in the first minute. Fucking morons.
Titchmarsh just makes me want to go and murder a sheep, or something like that, Maybe be-head some daffodils.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Jared Katooie

i only play vidio games all the time and they nevr done done harm to me

i tink there good cos if u have no frends u can play games and u cankill lots of peeple in games becos otherwis yud hav to kill peeple in the reale world

satchmo

The good old days, when they used to blame comics for everything instead:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8574484.stm

Richmond Clements

worldshown

If anyone has a spare 28 minutes, there's a decent appraisal of two conflicting studies on violent video games here.

http://www.thepsychfiles.com/2010/01/episode-115-video-violent-video-games-what-does-the-research-say/

It's easy to point out the gaps in the research as the host does later, but it's a bit more informed than the "It must be true, I saw it in the paper once" approach that that woman used.

worldshown

Apologies for double post, but I just spotted this on B3ta. A reason why Julie Peasegood can't attack violent movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w92pA9VEKAQ

Or if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkjG1Rm65D4&NR=1

CraveNoir

Terrific video there, worldshown. (The psych study one!)

The Bosche study is weak not just for the reasons given, but because of the age ranges. Wouldn't older people know their own minds more? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Coincidently I've been reading an informative and enjoyable book on the subject of violence in the media: How Fantasy Becomes Reality: Seeing Through Media Influence. The science of increased desensitization, stunted empathy, and proclivity to cause harm to others (not neccessarily physical harm) seems very sound, and has been proven in several long-term studies and experiments over the years. Research like this is not sellable like an action movie or a killing game, and people would rather tell the world that they aren't influenced by anything they see or hear, and so stridently defend those who are poisoning them.

The argument that exposure to violence "didn't make me a killer", is akin to saying that if fatty foods are bad for you then fast-food restaurants would be awash with bodies.

I've been influenced by what I'm reading because I concede to sound science, but I'm open to other ideas if they're at least equally sound.

Regretably I couldn't watch the Titchmarsh video as I know that shallow ill-informed, pitch-forkery makes me aggitated and makes me think of killing. I prefer not to feel that way if I can help it.

Jared Katooie

Quote from: Whore Richmond Clements on 23 March, 2010, 09:22:28 AM
Hypocrisy! How'd have thunk it..?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=239985&site=cvg

Actually, I think that's pretty outrageous. Some people clearly have no shame.

The worst part is, if someone brought this up, she'd probably just dismiss it by saying "Oh, I made a mistake" or somesuch.

dis makes me veree angri i have to play doom 2 now to cam dow n. . .

Something Fishy

Quote from: Tweak72 on 22 March, 2010, 02:14:36 PM
I have always thought lack of activities, well run youth/youth sports clubs and other such ways of focusing the energies of young people especially in low income areas contributed more to violence and crime from young people then any amount of the old Ultra violence in media. But then that kind of thing cost money and is harder to do then blame films and games. That kind of investment in the future also undercuts the validity of any future politician who wants to get elected on the being tough on young crime ticket. Better the voters have their own kids to be scared of rather than investing in keeping the kids occupied after school with things that may even help them become better people.

Bah!

I agree with you there. I've always focused on making sure my son gets a balance of activities.  Swimming, cycling, walking, playing music, academic study etc, playing with friends etc.  If outside of that he wishes to play games I have no problem with it.  It's all about balance I think.

Spaceghost

I thought the CVG guy did a great job of keeping his composure. I'd be useless in that situation. It's not easy presenting a reasoned argument at a big thick wall of idiocy.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Mike Gloady

Well said everyone. 

I'm against gardening, personally - it promotes a fondness for dirt and desensitises children about cutting into living things. Also there's an unpleasant sexual element with all that pollen floating about.... Disgusting. Venables? Bloody Dennis Neilsen had a garden. A GARDEN OF HIS OWN! Coincidence? I think not.  Gardening promotes violence misogyny and racism.  Proved.  The END.

That woman who does washing up liquid advert voiceovers who doesn't like violence in her entertainment should bin her Shakespeare immediately.

Titchmarsh is a stupid little idiot braying about something he CLEARLY has no knowledge of and  the videogame journalist seemed like the only person there capable of presenting an argument.  Geeks 1, Gardeners & Pensioners 0.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 24 March, 2010, 01:39:52 PM
Well said everyone.  

Titchmarsh is a stupid little idiot braying about something he CLEARLY has no knowledge of and  the videogame journalist seemed like the only person there capable of presenting an argument.  Geeks 1, Gardeners & Pensioners 0.

Geeks 1 - Gardeners - Ex-Sun editors - Washed up actress/Sexologist/Sex-Aid/Adult Toy advisor/voiceover artist = Brainless idiots 0
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Mike Gloady

I can never heat a single word Kelvin McKenzie ever says - all his speech sounds like the teacher in Peanuts to me.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever