Main Menu

Prog 1967 : HARD REBOOT!

Started by Buttonman, 06 February, 2016, 11:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Early Paisley Prog to make up for last week's late one.

Great issue for me!

Cover by Dylan Teague is fine but I need something more exceptional if it's not a tier one strip on show - this one for 'The Order' is good but not that memorable.

Dredd is going great with a great reveal this week. My only moan is so much story and back story is being crammed in that it's going to be over too soon!

Gene does what he does in Kingdom, it's fine and looks good but it just seems to go around in circles.

I'm enjoying the retro fun of Ro-Busters - this could have been pulled from the 1978 2000ad annual and I'd be none the wiser. Fun stuff.

The Order isn't really doing it for me but I'll take a few luch John Burns pages in any Prog.

Alpha keeps looking for his brain - I've never really bought into the reboot stories and this isn't changing my mind. OK but just by-the-numbers stuff.

Overall a good and enjoyable Prog with no letters page.

Richard

I can't agree with you about Alpha. Repo Men and the previous story have been just like the old-school stories.

Jacqusie

No Prog in Sheff... again...  :(

Still the still Crickets on, the Rugby starts today & the footy looks quite spicy this weekend... not the same Saturday tho with no proggage!

COMMANDO FORCES

Get in! The Prog was in my local comic shop and I only popped in to buy my convention ticket. Best I read it when I get home :D

IndigoPrime

Dread's rattling along nicely, but I agree with Buttonman it could have used more room to breathe. Kingdom's great, and I'm enjoying Strontium Dog, but Ro-Busters has pretty much left me. Ret-con + repeat doesn't really float my boat. (How many times can Pat Mills tell certain stories, and from how many angles? Will we see this scene yet again in a decade?)

The Order was mostly enjoyed by my 19-month-old, who decided this morning that 2000 AD was in fact hers. She likes spotting animals in her books, so cheerily pointed at all the horses. She was less interested in Dredd and then started demolishing Duplo.

Ghost MacRoth

Cover: Nice enough, but maybe needed some better colouring or something....dunno what it lacks, but it lacks something!

Dredd:  Have to agree with Buttonman, looks like this is rampaging towards conclusion....would have liked it to play out a bit longer....but can't complain at the quality art.  I would say it seemed a bit rash of DeMarco to do what she did so soon with no apparent need....surely a wee bit of time keeping the head down to get a better opportunity to make her move would have been prudent?

Kingdom:  Continues on it's merry way, happy to be along for the ride.

Ro-Busters:  As IndigoPrime says....it's reads like a repeat.  Art is still engaging...but my interest in the story is waning week on week.

The Order:  Continues to be mental, confusing and generally hatstand.

Strontium Dog: I have to admit, as others have said, it isn't the most exciting tale ever, but I'm still enjoying this outing I have to say.  It's certainly got possibilities to go for a while, with many ups and downs. We'll see how it goes.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jacqusie on 06 February, 2016, 12:39:21 PM
No Prog in Sheff... again...  :(

Well it seems I got lucky cos in these here high parts of Sheff my Prog arrived and its a beaut. The lack of activity in the Prog thread last week is pretty much a sure sign that things are on solid, steady form. We've seen it before when the Prog hits a nice little stride the reviews can dry up as there's not much to say other than 'That's a damned fine Prog, again.' . So...

...that's a damned fine Prog again today.

As you were and as you were is very good. Including Ro-Busters for the second week on the bounce. Happy subscriber = malnourished review thread.

mejustnow

I've got no idea why Hammerstein and Ro-Jaws swapped heads when they jumped out of the Preying Mantis o_O
SMUSHY PEAS!!!

W. R. Logan

Am I the only one that thinks that Ro Busters like a lot of Mr Mills out put in recent times is getting money for old rope.
Let's tell exactly the same story as I told years ago but make it longer.

Ghost MacRoth

No, you are not.  It's a bit shit too, as when he is on his game, he is great, but he seems to be phoning in the scripts of late.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Steve Green

Quote from: mejustnow on 06 February, 2016, 08:53:14 PM
I've got no idea why Hammerstein and Ro-Jaws swapped heads when they jumped out of the Preying Mantis o_O

In they original story, the robots have standard fittings, and it annoys the supervisors if parts are swapped.

They did it to annoy the supervisor droid, and when he came down to the pod, they overpowered him.

Banners

The detail on p1 of Kingdom is staggering! But those secret judges will struggle to run MC1 based on their poor approach to storing heavy aircraft.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 06 February, 2016, 08:58:48 PM
No, you are not.  It's a bit shit too, as when he is on his game, he is great, but he seems to be phoning in the scripts of late.
Defoe and Savage are about all the original series he's writing right now. Saline has some nice ideas but often wonders into fan wank material.

IndigoPrime

Sláine's a weird one. I really liked the first book of the current run. It had a kind of oddball mysticism that reminded me of Hellboy, and the art was fantastic. The second book just didn't click. The art remained strong, but the script fell back on the done-to-death tropes that permeate almost everything Mills writes these days. Where's the sense of fun? Everything's buried under so much ideology that it just feels like being repeatedly lectured to.