Main Menu

Prog 1982 : The World's End

Started by Buttonman, 21 May, 2016, 02:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Lovely Mark Harrison 'Grey Area' cover.

Read the Dredd - not very keen on the Texan's assessment of British foreign policy. I love my Michael Carroll but this had an unpleasant soapbox feel to it. This is 2000ad not the Bray Bugle!

flip-r mk2

Bugger, down at my daughter's in West Sussex and my prog's sitting 448 miles away up the road in Bonnybridge :(

filippo
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

jannerboyuk

No delivery 'ere in Cymru :( Saturday is ruined, RUINED!

A.Cow

Colin YNWA

The Progs return to form is almost complete. There are two sub-par (par being of course outstanding for 2000ad) thrills this week and they aren't bad. Slaine shows shows signs of returning to to life and the cliffhanger has promise. I'm beginning to feel optimistic about this story after a couple of duff weeks. A solid one off this week being a Time Twister, solid in all departments but its being replaced by Black Shuck next week so fingers crossed there.

Elsewhere Dredd continues to be magnificent. Brink continues to be a wonderful change of pace. I'm a little said that Grey Area is nearing its conclusion, but you had to wonder where it could possible have gone after this story line and the end of the arc start with a lovely bit of implusible romantic fun amongst the burst into action thriller. A well balanced strip and happy to have it back and sad that its ending.

So yeah the week spots ain't that week and hopefully could be sorted for next time. The Prog might be back on the form it had a few weeks ago soon? Fingers crossed.

Eamonn Clarke

Love the cover but it does look like a bit like Brad asking about that box.

I love Joyce so I'm loving Dredd. Things still seem grim for MC1

I'm enjoying the story in Brink and the art in Slaine.

The Time Twister was ok but did feel like we've seen that twist a few times now.

Welcome return for Grey Area which sets up for death and romance.

Solid A- prog, very happy here.

Skullmo

For me Dredd has now gone from- this looks interesting - to - this is irritating. Didn't like the stereotypical portrayals of Texans from someone trying to remove the Irish stereotypes as it felt cheap, the Texas cut idea seems forced and uncomfortable, didn't like the uk soapboxing already mentioned, and oh dredd is such a superhuman that he has been shot up and it alive. It started as an interesting idea but, for me, it's totally lost its way.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Skullmo

Texas cit not cut 😢 Autocorrect strikes
It's a joke. I was joking.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 21 May, 2016, 09:17:21 PM
...its being replaced by Black Shuck next week so fingers crossed there.

Oh, please be joking. Just as I was about to end my prog hiatus as well...
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 22 May, 2016, 11:57:21 AM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 21 May, 2016, 09:17:21 PM
...its being replaced by Black Shuck next week so fingers crossed there.

Oh, please be joking. Just as I was about to end my prog hiatus as well...

Well alas no. It was a decent thrill, didn't set the world alight but I'm happy to have it back, certainly as a replacement for both Survival Geeks and Tainted and I'm always happy to have The Mighty Yeowell in the Prog. I would admit for this to become a good thrill there's a little work to be done BUT it had a solid first story and there's bags of potential for it to grow into a great thrill.

So yeah, sorry, happy to have it back.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Skullmo on 22 May, 2016, 11:08:53 AM
For me Dredd has now gone from- this looks interesting - to - this is irritating...
... it's totally lost its way.

It certainly has. I know many like MC's Dredd, but I find it's credibility a little too far to swallow each week. I suppose I'm more of a fan of slow burners and this story seems to be shoe-horning in left, right & centre plot lines that just don't make for comfortable reading.

I was always wondering when Texas City may enter Dredd's world at some point, but this is jarring, the script is odd and I'm not quite sure how we got here from a few weeks ago arsing about in the cursed earth (with bonus new plotline & Major Easy dropped in too folks!). You watch, the lawlords will be next.

It's albout as subtle as a brick, the Tex Cheif Judge proposing a new road between the cities all of a sudden & Hershey agreeing to make it a fly-over? eh?

oh, and then there's Dredd - too many questions about that one, but we had a nice cover last week that didn't fit the story...

It's all getting a bit messy...

ZenArcade

Politics is always messy I suppose.  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Richard

I thought the Time Twister was great, and both creators delivered to a high standard. I want to see more from them both.

I think the idea is that we're not supposed to like the Texas chief judge, so her little rant was probably meant to irritate us. When the bad guys voice their opinions, it's usually a mistake to assume that it's what the writer really believes.

And I don't share the view that there are too many plotlessness developing in this Dredd story. It's a more usual criticism to say that there isn't enough happening in a story, that the plot is too one-dimensional. Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

Ghost MacRoth

Cover:  Yeah, very nice, with a Brad Pitt cameo too...

Dredd: All going along ok, but as mentioned before, it needs to tie up it's loose ends and let us know what's going on soon.  I expect it will, and we'll see that some buggers in Brit and Tex Cities planned this all along.  Still can't work out why they risk keeping Dredd alive...they even point it out themselves!

Slaine:  It just gets duller by the week.

Brink: In contrast, seemed to be a little more accessible for some reason.  Still hate the art though.

Time Twister:  Nowt new, but very nicely done.

Grey Area: Love the art.  Will be interesting to see where it goes from here.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!