Main Menu

MEG 373 : STATE OF THE UNION

Started by Buttonman, 11 June, 2016, 11:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

An unprecedented 9am mail drop from my Paisley postie - must be an Albania fan.

Excellent Dreddlines with three long letters, one great, but sadly no Editor comments.

All strips bubbling along but the standout has to be Dredd's 'People Like Us' the recently trumpeted Brexit special. It's good fun with cracking Dave Taylor art. I moaned recently about Irish politics getting too wide an airing in the Prog but this is more like the great satire 2000ad has always been known for. Great call back to a 30 year old story and a funny, if somewhat predictable, pay off.

Still to read the runner up placed entry in the Dark Judges writing comp (Andrew Hawnt) and the slightly reduced 17 pages of 'Realm of the Damned'.

Buttonman

Sorry should have said the floppy is 'Killer' a Steve Moore / Staz Johnson story I don't remember from Progs 1264-1272 as well as the last two parts of 'Second City Blues'.

Link Prime

Quote from: Buttonman on 11 June, 2016, 11:47:05 AM
All strips bubbling along but the standout has to be Dredd's 'People Like Us' the recently trumpeted Brexit special.

So 5 strips this month?

73north

This was a highly enjoyable read today , the highlight as ever
was Lawless - as ever ,superb artwork ,and features a great twist in the story
Blunt is looking to be a good story - and is getting better and better
Dredd is an excellent cross-over story - which I am really enjoying
and is providing a real back-ground to the Texas City / Brit Cit machinations
that you can only find in the Megazine ( so a must read )
Realm of Damned is - for me , just so-so - I cant wait to see the saga end soon , sadly

Report to moderator

James Stacey

Just how good is Lawless. I've never worked out how the Dabnett droid maintains the output levels he does, especially when he can knock it out of the park as well.

Woolly

Not read all the Meg yet, but wan't to give a shameless pimping heads up to a mate of mine, Andrew Hawnt, whose prose Dredd story appears this month.

It's a cracker of a Dark Judges tale, with just a hint of John Smith about it -I'll say no more, I don't want to spoil it.

But if you like what you read, you can find more of Andy's stuff here...

...and a Blog here.

Well done, Andy. Hats off to you mate!  :thumbsup:

Zarjazzer

Enjoyed the Meg Realm of the Damned and Blunt were fun for day off me but the best was Killer. B&w art and a psycho anti-hero bar none. fabulous.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Ghost MacRoth

Cover:  Eye catching and very current, should draw some interested glances from the passing comic fan

Dredd: The plot thickens, but as expected, Texas are up to no good!

Blunt:  Enjoying this so far.

Realm Of The Damned:  Up till now, I've been enjoying it greatly, dark, nasty, uncompromising and horrific.  All the things I like in a horror tale.  However....this month I have to question why the 4000 year old mummy talks like a 15 year old east London chav.  It grated quite badly, and while I'm STILL not offended, I am a bit dissapointed in the characterisation.  Nice to see a fight with a bit more bite to it though.

Lawless: Love it.

Text Tale:  Was ok.

Dredd again: Nice wee one off, and a link back to one of the early tales that greatly amused me at the time. 

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 15 June, 2016, 10:44:23 PM
Realm Of The Damned:  Up till now, I've been enjoying it greatly, dark, nasty, uncompromising and horrific.  All the things I like in a horror tale.  However....this month I have to question why the 4000 year old mummy talks like a 15 year old east London chav.  It grated quite badly, and while I'm STILL not offended, I am a bit dissapointed in the characterisation.  Nice to see a fight with a bit more bite to it though.
I suspect someone who'se been around for 4000 years has undergon quite a few personality changes and could well have become capable of just saying "Fuck it, i'm going to try and be like the tit who'se on the TV right now. Whats his name, Dyer?"...

Ghost MacRoth

Yeah, that's true.  Still, it just stood out in a not so good way to me.... dunno, maybe it's just me being a bit picky with it now?
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Goaty

So Lawless is [spoiler]Freely of Insurrection[/spoiler]. Awesome!

Magnetica

Well it was suggested in an early story but whether that is the case or not I am not sure has been definitively resolved yet. I think this has a bit more mileage in it.

sheridan

Quote from: Buttonman on 11 June, 2016, 11:47:05 AM
All strips bubbling along but the standout has to be Dredd's 'People Like Us' the recently trumpeted Brexit special.
By recently - 1 April 2015!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Magnetica on 17 June, 2016, 12:41:44 PM
Well it was suggested in an early story but whether that is the case or not I am not sure has been definitively resolved yet. I think this has a bit more mileage in it.
Er. While it was strongly suggested this was the case in the last part of the first series it's made completely explicit in this month's episode.
We never really die.