Main Menu

The Letters Beast - Online!

Started by Buttonman, 27 September, 2017, 03:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

The greatest day in history has arrived - the Beast is to be unleashed!

Yes! Every bit of reader added content has been compiled into one massive database. I managed this using my superior interweb skills - well I asked the venerable Pete McCosh to do it it any rate. Thanks also to Conrad from Spacespinner2000 for his input and promise that the Beast may achieve some podcast mentions too!

The link is RIGHT HERE! so get solving all those age old family arguments over who drew what and who has the fewest letters published amongst your peer group.

Pete has also added a column to identify droid offerings - look out for them so you can slag them off at future conventions!

I'll update this as time goes by so keep on writing and gain your moment of web based glory.

Any technical issues or comments to Mr McCosh please!

Steve Green

Why do I feel this may just become a hit list for Conrad and Fox?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Buttonman on 27 September, 2017, 03:36:49 PM

Falls at the first hurdle — you missed my droid credit! :-P
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

The Beast goes on-line September 27th, 2017. Human decisions are removed from letters data retrieval. The Beast begins to lick Tharg's arse at a geometric rate. It becomes the winner of Most Letters of the Week at 16:00 BST. 

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 September, 2017, 03:56:10 PM
Quote from: Buttonman on 27 September, 2017, 03:36:49 PM
Falls at the first hurdle — you missed my droid credit! :-P
Hmm. I've mentioned before that my village newsagent wasn't able to keep up a steady supply so my first Long Walk lasted from Prog 305 to 329.

Now, can anyone confirm if the Laurence Campbell of Erith who had a letter in Prog 743 is the same man who brought us Bison?
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Fallen down a bit of a rabbit hole here, thanks to the old Class of '79 page.

John McCrea's version of Judge Toyah is there in all its glory. However, there's a credit for a "Judge Sucker" drawing in Prog 319 with the same contact details. Anyone feel up to a trip to the attic to confirm if it's the same droid?
We never really die.

I, Cosh

In a similar vein, Class of 79 records two strikes for Adrian Salmon in Progs 119 & 114, but surely Prog 58's "Hyper Punk" is the work of the same man...
We never really die.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: I, Cosh on 27 September, 2017, 05:18:03 PM

John McCrea's version of Judge Toyah is there in all its glory. However, there's a credit for a "Rogue Sucker" drawing in Prog 319 with the same contact details. Anyone feel up to a trip to the attic to confirm if it's the same droid?

It is - he mentioned it on Twitter.

I once had a letter published in Doctor Who Magazine.  Hurry up and do the database for that, Buttonman!
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

I, Cosh

Based on anecdotal evidence supplied right here, one-Prog wonder Darren Stephens (sometimes of this parish) has been credited with drawings in Progs 555, 583 & 615.  I also see three letters to the more forgiving Mega-Tharg in V2.42, V2.78 and V3.4 Would he also care to add a letter written from Walsall rather than Portsmouth in Prog 720 to his tally?
We never really die.

Buttonman

I put up loads of Droid Letters Page content in the various LETTERSENTERTAINYOU threads but alas the Photobucket disaster means they are all now 'upgrade to 3rd part hosting' demands. Bastards!

Frank

Quote from: I, Cosh on 27 September, 2017, 05:18:03 PM

John McCrea's version of Judge Toyah is there in all its glory. However, there's a credit for a "Judge Sucker" drawing in Prog 319 with the same contact details. Anyone feel up to a trip to the attic to confirm if it's the same droid?

John McCrea, Belfast. £5 winner. Reminds me of Baytor, and Richard Burton thinks it's too cartoony, so it must be yer man.

Now Stephen Watson of Paisley has bestowed his enduring legacy upon humanity, we no longer have to worry that his monthly heart attacks will rob us of access to The Beast.

The pie, chips and beans (extra salt) are in the post.

Buttonman

Quote from: Frank on 27 September, 2017, 06:14:49 PM

Now Stephen Watson of Paisley has bestowed his enduring legacy upon humanity, we no longer have to worry that his monthly heart attacks will rob us of access to The Beast.

The pie, chips and beans (extra salt) are in the post.

Hey! It's been several weeks since I had any heart activity (of the undesired kind) - could you upgrade me to a donner meat pizza please?

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I think you need to interview Chris Catto from Edinburgh, since he has a place in Tharg's history book. There's an Edinburgh-based chap on Facebook with that name, who seems about the right age.
I wonder if he ever outshone his high initial peak? I wonder if he ever sees the prog on the racks and has to wipe away a small tear?
SBT

Magnetica

Is that the Chris Chibnall? (Prog 194).

I, Cosh

We never really die.