Main Menu

Invasion 1984!

Started by Buttonman, 23 May, 2019, 10:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

The exclamation point is theirs, not mine!

Has anyone read this recently released cracker from The Treasury of British Comics?

It was a must buy for me as I'd never heard of it and an alien invasion of the world is a good starting point for any story. Oh and it's Wagner/Grant with Eric Bradbury on art.

Firstly the book is lovely. Brilliant reproductions of the black and white pages with the covers in full colour inserted into the pages - two or three are story covers that are 'continued inside' so it's great they have been preserved.

It only runs for 128 pages but it crams a lot in and I gorged it down in two sittings.

With the three page episodes there is a lot of repetition with the hero, who's a linguist you know, introduced every week.

The aliens look mental - like skeletal Samurai warriors complete with ray guns and swords. They do take prisoners however, but don't ask what they do with them!

The story is endlessly nihilistic with characters bumped off every week and Glasgow getting picked for a practice nuke! Seemingly did millions of pounds worth of improvements!

The action is relentless and it's so grim[spoiler] you can't wait for the happy ending - bound to be one surely?![/spoiler]

A cracking book and along with 'Marley the Fox' the pick of the IPC litter to date.

Richard

Thanks for that review, I was in two minds about whether to buy it, but I think I will now.

Fungus

It's a great selection for reprint. Bradbury's art grew on me slowly back then, nicely dense and satisfying...
Only the vaguest memory of what happened, I was never too attached to the prog's 'sister paper'.

Thing is, think I only own one old Battle and that's 'cos my childish scribblings appeared. You don't throw them out! There's a lovely Invasion 1984'!' cover as well. So that's nice  :P

broodblik

I believe this is one of those classics that you can bank under your "definitely purchase category". I was always a great fan of Bradbury's work since the days of Doomlord. So yes the art is great (especially if you like his art). The story as with any Wagner/Grant collaboration is also top-notch.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tjm86

I went for this and El Mestizo courtesy of the recent subscriber offer.  It does stand up well all things considered.  I would agree that it is a showcase of Bradbury's art and quality stuff.  I know elsewhere comments have been made about the alien tech designs but that can be forgiven considering everything else.

A lot of what was in the plot is very much Grover fare.  The 'Rat Pack'-esque special forces unit, deferential military leadership, non-existent / incompetent politicians .... Considering the intended audience and how much water has passed under the bridge since it was original published,  these lapses can be forgiven.  It was amusing as well how much the plot parallels that of "Independence Day" by a good decade!

It's a fairly vanilla publication.  Standard paperback with a handful of covers reproduced, there is a brief creator bio but that is pretty much it.  When you consider the effort that Titan have gone to when they've reprinted some of the Battle stuff, it is a bit of a disappointment but then again this is also being a little pedantic.

Overall then it is a nice bit of nostalgia.  Arguably worth the time and money.  Be prepared for some of the flaws and accept it in all it's imperfections.  Should be on everyone's shelves.

jabish

I loved this collection. Really classic comics by Wagner & Grant and that terrific gritty Eric Bradbury art. Great stuff. This and the Thirteenth Floor are absolute gems and I'm gonna get One Eyed Jack soon.

Really hope they collect Doomlord. Does anyone know if they have the rights for that?

broodblik

Quote from: jabish on 20 June, 2019, 10:15:49 PM
Really hope they collect Doomlord. Does anyone know if they have the rights for that?

We all wish for this to happen but unfortunately the Dan Dare Corporation has all the right to the stories that was published in the New Eagle. The exception was all stories that came from other publication that merged with Eagle. Like One-Eyed Jack came from Battle/Valiant Thirteen Floor from Scream etc.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Quote from: jabish on 20 June, 2019, 10:15:49 PM

Adding to this, read this article : https://downthetubes.net/?p=101020

AlexF

Bought Invasion 1984! in the recent Treasury Sale, and don't regret it at all! I had feared it would be a bit childish, and compared to Wagner/Grant strips in 2000AD in the same era it is a bit, but it's still a ton of fun and a proper page-turner. Bradbury draws the heck out of alien samurai skeletons with ray guns, too.

And yes, it's fun how much this pre-empts not just Independence Day, but even Arrival (well, the fact that it hinges on a linguist, not all the tricksy stuff or s l o w pacing).

milstar

I ordered this thru Amazon, so I can't wait to see it. Tried to go after infamous Darkie's Mob first, but it's out of stock. I think I was sold on the title here - Invasion 1984. Does anyone knows the year of the release? I saw glimpses of the art and it definitely does not look like 1984 comic :)
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

broodblik

I think it was originally published in Battle in year the 1983

Buttonman

A fine podcast on this very book is right HERE!

milstar

Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

milstar

Ah,.. I finally read this gem. A mix between Dirty Dozen (there is a reference to Dirty Dozen) and Independence Day. Have to say, this one had me warming up a bit. But I like how Ron Clark (xD) wastes no time to unnecessary expositions;instead, going right to the guts of the story. True, there are moments of humor, but this one perhaps could go head to head in terms of nihilism and grimness. Aliens are brutal, unrelenting, and many many characters die (near whole planet gets destroyed), some did so by sacrificing for greater good. And the ending is bittersweet one. Humans win, at near apocalyptical costs. Definitely more brutal than Apocalypse War, if not only by scale. The ending is a bit cheesy for my taste; I hope we won't get to see another bacteria in an alien invasion story.

As for the art, Eric Bradbury perhaps was at top of his game here (next to Rogue Trooper). Aliens designs, scenes of carnage, facial features, interesting layouts all are so good. Even seeing how he drew the effects of alien disease made my stomach churn, one of the most gruesome images I've ever seen in comics.

sheridan

Quote from: milstar on 01 September, 2021, 12:55:08 AM
As for the art, Eric Bradbury perhaps was at top of his game here (next to Rogue Trooper).

That is good 'n' all, but I would counter with The Dracula File (not to mention Doomlord).