Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Arkady on 02 August, 2020, 02:49:15 PM
Really enjoying All-Star Future Shocks.

Can anyone make sense of the order that they're in, though? They're chronological up to prog 1232, and then it goes back to prog 245 and has another chronological run. Why not just have them all in chronological order? Am I missing something obvious?

Isn't Rebellion in the process of reprinting them all in chronological order, like the Case Files?  They wouldn't want things packaged in the same way at the same time.

IndigoPrime

Yeah, they've done two big Case Files-style volumes of Future Shocks so far. As for the Hachette volume, it sounds like they more or less took the Rebellion TPB, decontextualised the breaks by removing the intro pages, and then added a few extra strips.

levers

Quote from: mitchuk on 31 July, 2020, 10:56:10 AM
The new Hachette website is a bit odd. Can't login with my email and password so have to use subscription number and postcode. Go to check orders, and everything is listed on invoice four times, then the duplicates are removed when calculating final cost. It's really strange.

QuoteCost Premium 76 1 £1.50
2000 AD N 75 1 £9.99
2000 AD N 76 1 £9.99
Cost Premium 75 1 £1.50
2000 AD N 75 1 £9.99
Cost Premium 75 1 £1.50
Cost Premium 76 1 £1.50
2000 AD N 76 1 £9.99
2000 AD N 75 1 £9.99
Cost Premium 75 1 £1.50
Cost Premium 76 1 £1.50
2000 AD N 76 1 £9.99
2000 AD N 76 1 £9.99
2000 AD N 75 1 £9.99
Cost Premium 76 1 £1.50
Cost Premium 75 1 £1.50
POSTAGE COST £-68.94
TOTAL £22.98

I get a 503 Bad Gateway error when I go to view my order history and can't get back into the website unless I clear my cache. Ordered a number of volumes I thought I'd missed out on in the meantime.

Tomontherun94

Yeah the new website's a bit odd. Usual login doesn't work so I need to use my subscription number and postcode. However on mobile it only brings up the number pad when I try to enter the postcode so I can only access it on desktop. Overall the is new site is pretty alright design wise. Better than the old one anyway

Jade Falcon

So I finally picked up my Nikolai Dante and Savage:Taking Liberties.  I haven't taken them out the seal yet, but I see my Savage has the spine screw up as well.  Just how much are cockups like this costing the company.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

sintec

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 06 August, 2020, 03:03:16 AM
Just how much are cockups like this costing the company.

I guess this depends on how their business is structured. Assuming they don't own the printers but sub-contract the work to them then the cost of the reprint may fall to the printers rather than directly to Hachette. It would entirely depend what kind of contract had been drawn up. The distribution costs may well end up being Hachette's problem still though and there's a cost of lost consumer confidence which is very hard to measure.

It does make me wonder if the early subscriber delays were down to similar print cock-ups that got caught by QC before the mail out was done.

IndigoPrime

It depends on when the error occurred. From my experience in the print industry, it's much more likely someone signed off the book with an error in the doc than the printer somehow messed up (although the latter is possible).

A few of the issues with the Dredd volume were down to the printer, but those were things like faint pages or overly heavy print (through a lack of QC with black ink). Mostly, errors appear to be down to a designer copying/pasting from previous editions (rather than beginning with a template blank) and someone along the line failing to spot an issue having the wrong back cover text/end papers/etc. (Again, always start with template blanks when working on magazines/books. Never work from the previous book in a series. It's otherwise far too easy to mess up in the way these books have.)

The Monarch

Sinister dexter contains the following

downlode tales

Lock and Lode

exit wounds

sinister dexter

mission to mangapore

life behind bars

shrink rap

bullet time

the man in the ion mask

money shots

point blanc

barf bag

Dark Jimbo

FTFY:

Quote from: The Monarch on 06 August, 2020, 03:44:34 PM
Sinister dexter contains the following

Downlode Tales:

Lock and Lode
Exit Wounds

Sinister Dexter:

Mission to Mangapore
Life behind Bars
Shrink Rap
Bullet Time
The Man in the Ion Mask
Money Shots
Point Blanc
Barf Bag

That's a really interesting place to leave it. Barf Bag's more of an ellipsis than a full-stop - to the point I really have to wonder if we're not potentially getting a longer extension than we've been told...
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Given how the 2012 Marvel collection's still going, I suspect it'll be down to sales/subscriptions. If it's still profitable, why wouldn't you continue? Although at some point, 2000 AD would hit diminishing returns, unless the collection started doing a whole lot more Dreddworld content.

Jade Falcon

I still remember some of the text on War on the Streets, the very last Dredd book as being so heavily printed it was unreadable. I never got that sorted to my satisfaction.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

abelardsnazz

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 August, 2020, 05:08:06 PM
unless the collection started doing a whole lot more Dreddworld content.

There's still a fair amount of Dredd stuff not reprinted in either collection. I think I've said on here before that it would be good to have a Ron Smith volume, as per those for Carlos Ezquerra and Cam Kennedy, and I don't think I'm alone in nominating Battle & Pirates of the Black Atlantic for inclusion, given their importance as prologues to Block Mania & Apocalypse War.

Jade Falcon

I admit its a bit of a crime (no pun intended) not having the Black Atlantic stories in either the Dredd stories or as part of the 2000ad stuff.  It might be regarded as a bit naff compared to latter stuff, a view I don't agree with, but it was a lot better than many stories of the time, and it also as mentions plays a part of a leadup to Block Mania and Apocalypse War and the whole Sov-Block-Mega City tension storyline.

Rately

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 August, 2020, 05:08:06 PM
Given how the 2012 Marvel collection's still going, I suspect it'll be down to sales/subscriptions. If it's still profitable, why wouldn't you continue? Although at some point, 2000 AD would hit diminishing returns, unless the collection started doing a whole lot more Dreddworld content.

2012? Seriously?! Christ.

If anyone collects it, what is the Guff to gold ratio?

IndigoPrime

I suspect that depends on how much you like Marvel. I wasn't that familiar with Marvel at the time I bought the first 60 issues from someone on eBay. I sold them and rebought just one (Marvels), and grabbed another (She-Hulk: Single Green Female) in a different format. I since then also got Howard the Duck (from the 'Classic' volumes they're running alongside). But then my Marvel collection is relatively small anyway.

I imagine, much like with the 2000 AD books, it's a bargain if you're a fan of the publisher—although I will note that the run had quite a few skinny books compared to the 2000 AD volumes. (A tenner for a five-issue HC is still a reasonable deal, but it's not nearly as good as books around 200 pages.)

The entire run is listed on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Official_Marvel_Graphic_Novel_Collection

More recently, it appears to have morphed into HC reprints of Marvel TPBs from 12–24 months beforehand. However, it's also digging up some fun old stuff from thr archives, like Death's Head and Dragon's Claws.