Main Menu

Warren Ellis

Started by CalHab, 13 July, 2020, 01:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

When you read the full story about Scott Allie, it's basically the same. Back in 2015, a statement was issued. People knew about his problems—they just weren't vocal. He carried on. Dark Horse carried on. Only now have they fully severed ties (and creators like Mignola have confirmed they believe the accusers).

Elsewhere, we now see Walliams had—possibly has—a thing for very young women, including having them in his dressing room, which is not remotely appropriate. And so on. And so on. None of this is normal behaviour, and none of it is OK. I'm glad it's being called out, and I hope things do change.

Tjm86

Quote from: Funt Solo on 13 July, 2020, 07:30:24 PM
... but it would seem odd to write all of this off as something that happened in another time and in a different society. ...

If you read their article, the call is not for punishment, but for acknowledgement of wrongs done, and of an acceptance that change would be beneficial.

My apologies if it comes across as writing off the behaviour as purely historical.  As you quite rightly say, there is behaviour that has continued until very recently and there is quite probably just as much that is still ongoing but not yet reported.

What I am suggesting is that what needs to be reflected on is how the formative culture might be implicated.  Change is desperately needed to be sure.  I'm also not so sure that society is that different at present. 

CalHab

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 July, 2020, 02:23:07 PM
Kieron Gillen: As far as comic spaces circa 2000 went, the WEF was an accepting and welcoming place for women, and that speaks for people who were there, the creators who came out of there, and the work we do.

The Kieron Gillen in that article must be a different Kieron Gillen from this one:
QuoteThese testimonies carry huge impact, in detail and scale. The site itself is unlike anything I've seen in terms of contextualizing, providing resources, answering likely questions and What Next. Please put aside time to read and think about this.
https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1282700693510541314

It must be embarrassing when they are confused with each other.

IndigoPrime

The question with Ellis is if people knew and said nothing. That is definitely the case with Allie.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: CalHab on 13 July, 2020, 05:17:16 PM
A better article that covers Ellis and others that Andy Diggle tweeted earlier:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/warren-ellis-cameron-stewart-and-the-storm-of-sexual-misconduct-allegations-roiling-the-comic-book-industry

That really is a chilling article and I can think of examples not even included there, so Brian Wood springs immediately to mind as another high profile figure with similar accusations raised against him, following a simialr pattern.

I remenmber when Eddie Berganza was finally fired by DC it was seen as a watershed moment by some, a chance for genuine, systemic change. Alas the more that comes to light, the more that is clear that this was not the case. Is it naive to hope that this time the change might run deeper? I worry that it probably is.

IndigoPrime

I'm reading that now, and the linked articles. Quite a lot of "I never knew about power imbalance" from smart men who without doubt do know about (and abuse it), and more than a smattering of getting drunk and using that as an excuse for, at best, sexual harassment. The problem is, people know about the latter, because it's done openly. That people—sorry, that men—get away with this for so long within the industry (and others) is just appalling.

It does feel like this time, things are different. But we've been here before.

sheridan

Quote from: CalHab on 13 July, 2020, 05:17:16 PM
A better article that covers Ellis and others that Andy Diggle tweeted earlier:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/warren-ellis-cameron-stewart-and-the-storm-of-sexual-misconduct-allegations-roiling-the-comic-book-industry

"become a member to read this story - monthly, annual, give more"  without paying, what does it say?

Batman's Superior Cousin

DC pulls Warren Ellis' Death Metal story:

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/dc-pulls-warren-elliss-death-metal-story-following-series-of-allegations/

Warren Ellis reportedly leaving Netflix's Castlevania after next season:

https://www.cbr.com/warren-ellis-not-return-future-castlevania-seasons/

Marvel, DC and Dark Horse will no longer tolerate sexual abusers by cutting all ties with accused writers & artists:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/comic-book-industry-reckons-abuse-claims-i-dont-want-happen-anyone-1305217
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 01 August, 2020, 06:48:29 PM

Marvel, DC and Dark Horse will no longer tolerate sexual abusers by cutting all ties with accused writers & artists:

That Dark Horse statement would have had a lot more credibility if they hadn't kept Scott Allie on their books for years after multiple credible accusations of despicable behaviour came to light.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Yeah, but now they totally really care. Or something. (Or: they realise they at this point can no longer get away with turning a blind eye. It was disappointing to see Mignola admit as much, although at least he himself hasn't been directly been accused of any such atrocious acts. I can live without Ellis books, but I'd hate to get rid of all my Mignola collections.)

sheridan

Hadn't heard about Scott Allie before, though I do see that the reaction of Dark Horse to the October 2015 was "In this particular case, action was taken immediately".  This action seems to be a job title change from Editor-in-Chief of Dark Horse Comics to Executive Senior Editor before the end of 2015.  Neither title means too much to me so I don't know if that means he was promoted, demoted or shuffled sideways.

IndigoPrime

In short, he was an arsehole for years, and everyone knew it. The sheer level of arseholery (to the point of sexual assault) was perhaps not evident, but people knew and did fuck-all about it. Read into it what you will, but basically no-one comes out of this well at DH, with the possible exceptions of Stewart, Arcudi (whose Twitter has since been taken down over this) and Davis.