Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanharry

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 25 September, 2017, 06:43:28 PM
Quote from: seanharry on 25 September, 2017, 06:17:42 PM
And I'm leaving out the crap stuff like Junker...

...but including the Harlem Heroes reboot? Well, okaaaaay...

Artwork by Steve Dillon.

Don't care about the script. If it's art by Steve Dillon then I want a collection over it just to enjoy his genius.

TordelBack

Quote from: seanharry on 25 September, 2017, 07:26:16 PM
If it's art by Steve Dillon then I want a collection over it just to enjoy his genius.

See, this sounds like a sensible idea in theory.  But all I can ever think when I look at lovely art like Dillon on HH, Ridgeway on Junker, Ron Smith on Rogue Trooper/Chronos Carnival, Ezquerra on Inferno, John Higgins on Greysuit etc etc is WHAT A BLOODY WASTE.

IndigoPrime

QuoteIt would have been nice to finally see collections of:-
I do think they've perhaps missed a trick by not offering a few more strips outside of the heavy hitters, and the lack of John Smith content is a real blow. No Indigo Prime? No Firekind? The problem, though, is this thing needs to be viable. Dash Decent isn't going to do that. Mean Arena and Synnamon? Nope. (And if Tyranny Rex is going to be in the mix, surely that should just be woven into Indigo Prime.)

But the 'art alone' side of things doesn't cut it for me. The Dredd collection suffers in a few books in that manner. Some of the art is fine but the strips are crap. They're no fun to read, and if they're no fun to read (or not even interesting), what is the point? Harlem Heroes is a case in point. I dreaded its appearance in the recent floppies, and the idea of paying 10 quid for a hardback fills me with horror. Sure, some of the art is fine, but if I want some pretty pictures I'll buy a poster.

A.Cow

Quote from: seanharry on 25 September, 2017, 06:17:42 PM
I mean, I appreciate that it's the cream of the crop, but the entire run seems to be made up of stories that are already easily available in collected format, and that I already have, sometimes multiple volumes due to them being printed by Titan and Rebellion in graphic novel collections.

It's inevitable that any "best of" collection will repeat a very high proportion of things which many people already have.  It's a form of preferential attachment.  Hence why pop artists always add an "exclusive" track to greatest hits compilations, to force hardcore fans to buy it.

However, I'm not sure that hardbound deluxe editions of Captain Klep, Dash Decent and Bonjo From Beyond The Stars would get the subscribers salivating.

The Monarch

it would certainly be the hardbackiest pamphlet around :lol:

IndigoPrime

Books three and four arrived with me this morning.

jannerboyuk

Got 3 and 4 today, havent read the kreeler conspiracy before so thats all good, shakara i already have so meh. Both lovely editions so im fixed n getting the whole collection :)

Jamie1000013

Quote from: jannerboyuk on 26 September, 2017, 01:43:56 PM
Got 3 and 4 today, havent read the kreeler conspiracy before so thats all good, shakara i already have so meh. Both lovely editions so im fixed n getting the whole collection :)

Is Shakara good? I was looking forward to reading it it looked quite fun. I think it is out tomorrow isn't it for all us non subs?

Tjm86

Is arboreal defecation standard ursine practice?

Steve Green

Quote from: Jamie1000013 on 26 September, 2017, 07:52:08 PM

Is Shakara good? I was looking forward to reading it it looked quite fun. I think it is out tomorrow isn't it for all us non subs?

It starts off a bit early Nemesis - mysterious alien turns up in funky spaceship, causes mayhem and then vanishes with a battle-cry. Once the backstory is revealed it becomes more its own thing.

And of course Henry's art is amazing.

TordelBack

Quote from: Steve Green on 26 September, 2017, 08:16:18 PM

It starts off a bit early Nemesis - mysterious alien turns up in funky spaceship, causes mayhem and then vanishes with a battle-cry. Once the backstory is revealed it becomes more its own thing.

And of course Henry's art is amazing.

Its treatment of humanity in its opening pages also makes it a contender for Best First Episode.

Colin YNWA

Yes.

Very.

Jade Falcon

Kreeler Conspiracy isn't one of the stories that was immediately after Portrait of a Mutant in the second Case Files style book was it?  I've got that book and wouldn't mind some new stuff.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Steve Green

No, it was published (I think) in the Bolland cover Christmas Prog around 2000

It's basically an extended repurposing of the treatment for the TV pilot that was talked about in the late 1990s.

It stands alone, more like a movie adaptation - Wulf's not in it, Johnny has a computer sidekick called Milton that never appears again, and Kreelman is president of Earth rather than a New Britain politician.

Steve Green

There is already a trade which covers the Kreeler conspiracy (and a few other stories) I think this covers similar ground to get the page count up.