Main Menu

Rogue Trooper – Last Man Standing (IDW)

Started by Rogue Judge, 28 January, 2017, 12:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Judge

I just picked up the trade Rogue Trooper: Last Man Standing (collecting the four issue IDW series) during the holidays for about $6.00 (CAD) on Amazon – so cheap I couldn't resist. Here are my thoughts - *Spoilers Ahead*

I really enjoyed this book, it was a fantastic relaunch of Rogue that stayed true to the character (it really nailed the personalities of Bagman, Helm, and Gunner) and began to flesh out Nu Earth. Lots of violence/action/blood/mystery – everything you could ask for.

Regarding their appearances, I don't mind the new look for Helm as it's a bit more modern/streamlined looking (and was probably much easier to draw). I don't care for Rogues buzz-cut however, his original Mohawk was much better/intimidating looking. Bagman is interesting, the fact that he has legs and can run around (and then physically connects to Rogue) is a great idea and makes him even more useful. Gunner also has legs, but I prefer his original look with Rogues hand that goes inside the stock.

The art is particularly a treat, as Ponticelli draws great action scenes – I especially enjoy the image of Rogue on page two. And the covers by Fabry are excellent, especially issue #1 (seen below). This is the first Rouge book I have seen in colour as well (I only have the first two Tales of Nu Earth) so it was a treat to see him in all his blue glory. The colouring also helped Nu Earth look especially grey and bleak.

I liked that there were two stories happening as well, Rogue helping the Souther base fight against the Norts, and then fighting the kill crew sent for him – for a short book like this they really told a lot of story. I like the idea of him having a "man" inside the Souther army feeding him info, in the form of Angel (who I assume was Cheng by the way she stood up for him). He is always alone so this is a unique way of fleshing out his cast.

The book ties up most threads tidy as Rogue chases off the Norths and defeats the Souther kill crew (one of which looked a little like the traitor General) with the help of the soldier he saved, and walks off in to the chem-clouds (towards Abada, "Nu Earth's very own hell hole" - wherever that is). However, there is SO much story left to be told. What happens at Abada? Who was responsible for the Quartz Zone Massacre (in this Universe)? When Rogue is sick does he turn green?

This is the disappointing part for this book – so much potential for an ongoing series and ended too soon. I wonder if there is a chance that the Progs or Meg would continue telling stories from this new reboot universe? Like how they have continued telling stories from the Dredd film. Maybe IDW will pick it up again...

I know this has been out for a while, but how about you guys, thoughts/feelings about this series? Did you read it? Would you read more?

Rogue Judge

The Fabry cover art for issue #1 and Ponticelli art from page two!

sheridan

General consensus was that it was good and should have continued.  Unfortunately, though originally touted as an ongoing series it was reduced to a mini-series before the first issue had hit the shops (presumably based on pre-orders).  It seems that IDW is destined to create great 2000AD-related mini-series but nothing permanent.

dweezil2

Agreed, it was a fantastic comic.

Very aggrieved that it didn't continue!  :(
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

CalHab

Yeah, it's a big disappointment that they never followed it up. It didn't seem to be given a chance.

Mute77

I agree with all of the above..a massive shame it ended so soon and a pity the same team cant be brought over to 2000ad.

IndigoPrime

This was the first RT since War Machine I really liked. Annoyed it ended. I'd happily see it reprinted in the prog and then continued, although that seems less likely than a 40-part Junker 2.

Art

This is the one Stokoe did covers for, right?

I would really love to see a full on Rogue Trooper strip drawn by him.

It might go a bit like this... https://orcstain.wordpress.com/2010/11/28/murderbullets/

Rogue Judge

@Art - Yeah Stokoe did some neat covers for this series, my fave of his being the one below. Really intense and great colours.

@IndigoPrime - War Machine is another book I haven't read but am really looking forward to. I still need to read volumes 3 and 4 of Nu Earth before then.

Rogue Judge

I'm glad to see that everyone else enjoyed this series as much as I did and would like to see more too.

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 30 January, 2017, 06:42:15 AM
@Art - Yeah Stokoe did some neat covers for this series, my fave of his being the one below. Really intense and great colours.

@IndigoPrime - War Machine is another book I haven't read but am really looking forward to. I still need to read volumes 3 and 4 of Nu Earth before then.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 30 January, 2017, 06:42:15 AM@IndigoPrime - War Machine is another book I haven't read but am really looking forward to. I still need to read volumes 3 and 4 of Nu Earth before then.
YMMV, but for me it was a smart one-shot, with some great art, and an interesting new take on RT. It all pretty much immediate went to crap with War Machine's team left and were replaced by Fleisher and a bunch of different artists. And then over time it deteriorated further, through [spoiler]a misplaced plan to try and 'combine' the continuities and reintroduce the 'original' Rogue Trooper[/spoiler].

Such a pity IDW's didn't go further though, because I thought it was the best starting point of the lot.

Leigh S

I was tempted to get them as they came out but the art really put me off - I keep hovering over the collections on ebay, but cant quite bring myself to pull the trigger on it for more than a tenner, which I suspect is more my loss.  Certainly, the writing side of it sounds like it made a worthwhile stab at reinventing the character....though thinking back possibly there was also some GFD loyalty kicking in at the time from some of the "we have ditched this silly stuff" vibes I may have correctly or incorrectly picked up on!

I, Cosh

Go for it Leigh. I got the trade in a digital sale and everybody is right. It's the single best, non Al Ewing thing IDW have done. Both a smart update of the basic idea and a good Rogue story in one package.
We never really die.

Leigh S

Quote from: I, Cosh on 30 January, 2017, 09:40:27 PM
Go for it Leigh. I got the trade in a digital sale and everybody is right. It's the single best, non Al Ewing thing IDW have done. Both a smart update of the basic idea and a good Rogue story in one package.

Hmm - I see a cheap copy on Amazon marketplace.... you've twisted my arm!

Leigh S

On a side note - author seemed to get a lot of praise for this - should Tharg look him up for something else?