Main Menu

Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Oh I hate that. I don't want my chips in a plant pot, my pudding on a roof slate or my beer in a jam jar. BUY SOME BLOODY CROCKERY!

Trout

I don't mind drinking out of a jar sometimes (that's a North American thing and fairly normal here) but that's about as much as I will tolerate. Do not serve my haddock in a welly, annoying hipster chefs!

Buttonman

And we are back! Bit o housekeeping first - I posted these two on the events threat for the Cal-Habbers' trip to the Frank Quietly exhibition. In case the foodinistas missed them here's me having a good but not remarkable curry at the Ashoka in the West End. We might have had a better offering at Mother India but To forgot to book or something.

This is spicy lamb balls (as the ladies call me). A tasty treat!

And a nice chicken dish - can't remember - maybe a bhuna - nice tangy sauce and good chicken - not enough of it but I scoffed what I was given.

Buttonman

Right, we're up to date. Just back from a two night stay in sunny Perth. First time I've stayed over and was quite impressed by the nice grub on offer and variety of bars and shops - not totally taken over by chain stores.

This was in a nice big pub on one of the main streets called Sandemans. I am having the macaroni with chorizo and chicken. The additions were two quid extra on top of the regular macaroni and although nice I don't think they were worth the money. The mac and cheese was good - correct pasta and a nice tangy and runny sauce. Just one narrow bit of garlic bread to accompany the dish but it was plenty for lunch - about a tenner including a pint.

Evening meal saw us at the best rated Indian in town (on Tripadvisor) La Tabla.

This was a good meal and I would certainly eat there again. The wife and I shared the tandoori starter. It came with a zingy mint dip and a good variety of meats. All were well cooked and there was plenty without it being a gutbuster that would threaten the main course.

For my main I had the lamb biryani which was great. Well cooked and seasoned with plenty of curry gravy. We also shared a cracking peshwari nan and a couple of pints of draught Kingfisher.

Proudhuff

Heading for Perth for the Southern Fried Festival at the end of July so will give that Indian a go, should I mention your name when booking?
will avoid that Oor Wullie themed place if over your way  :D
DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Mention away Tom - I'm sure the legend of the 5% tip will still be ringing through its halls!

Proudhuff

Must have been good if you doubled your usual tip! Hope you never stole the salt cellar this time!  :-X
DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Day 2! Breakfast at the hotel, the Mercure in Perth. This was pretty good. Here's me with fruit (melon, grapefruit and pineapple) along with some mango compote and natural yogurt. After this I had two bits of self made toast and jam and a small sample of the fry buffet - (bacon not crispy enough 7/10 sausage nice and herby and not overcooked 8/10)

Lunch was taken on the hoof at a convenient beer festival. This bbq cooked burger was nice - cheese anonymous but with some good relish.

For dinner we went to a place called 'Brot3ers' - I'm guessing there were three of them. Nice traditional Italian with a good and varied menu with other nations' food covered.

Here's me with a chorizo fritata. Basically an omelette but it was very tasty.

For my main I had the chicken Kiev with some mash and veg. The butter made no attempt to conceal itself but that was fine as the chicken was great and it was obviously home made and not an Iceland special.

The Doctor Alt 8

Every time I see this thread I keep thinking of setting up a "What I have cooked" thread.

Buttonman

Fire away - can't have enough grub threads on a comic forum!

Zarjazzer

This thread has once again saved the universe from destruction when my attempt to raise great Cthulhu from his watery realm was interrupted by me being distracted by that nom looking chicken Kiev.

All hail! (the Kiev)

More grub threads sounds lovely.

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Proudhuff on 08 May, 2017, 10:44:46 AM
Heading for Perth for the Southern Fried Festival at the end of July so will give that Indian a go, should I mention your name when booking?
will avoid that Oor Wullie themed place if over your way  :D

I was quietly asked to leave, but only allowed out once I'd given up Butt'man's address... :'(
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

WTF is Butt'man anyway? off round the Festival no doubt trying to get on TV shows...  :o
DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Fear not Tom - I have returned. Yes I have been trying for game shows - come on !mpossible, you know you want to!

Sadly Photobucket is now after $400 to host my pics so it's off to Imgur we go. Looks straightforward enough, but if lots of cheesecake pics of 1980's models show up they're nothing to do with me.

We returned yesterday from Barcelona having enjoyed a gourmet three site trip across Europe. OK Greenock, Liverpool and Barcelona but that still counts.

We got on board the Marco Polo cruise ship in Greenock for an overnight cruise to Liverpool. I think they must do these overnighters as a one off so cheapskates like me can sample their offerings.

It was OK but I doubt I'd sign up for their £1600, 14 day, round Britain cruise. The clientele were all ancient - apart from a pissed up hen party - and the food was a bit 1970's. It was well presented over five courses but when one was two sprigs of asparagus wrapped in ham you could see why I went to bed hungry.

Here's me with my main - a modest portion of braised beef which was very tasty.

Proudhuff

you must have brought the average age down by... 2, maybe 3 years  :lol:
DDT did a job on me