Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

I've tried a few, I've finished the campaign so my ship is pretty well upgraded but I've still to last more than one pass of one! They either ram me into oblivion if I get in front of them, or tear me a new one with their cannons if I'm caught round the side. Will try and stay behind one but they turn so fast!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 24 January, 2014, 04:49:51 PM
Who has done the elite ships then?  The one in the bottom right of the map is easy, if you stay behind it.  Just keep pummeling it with the chain cannons.

Got him yesterday!
I ran alongside her and used my heavy cannons and mortars. The trick is timing your cover properly.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 27 January, 2014, 01:39:25 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 24 January, 2014, 04:49:51 PM
Who has done the elite ships then?  The one in the bottom right of the map is easy, if you stay behind it.  Just keep pummeling it with the chain cannons.

Got him yesterday!
I ran alongside her and used my heavy cannons and mortars. The trick is timing your cover properly.

Cool!  I did my usual trick of hiding behind for the one bottom left too - it worked.  I failed abysmally for one of the ones at the top.  It was the two ships sailing in tandem - I kept getting trapped between them and totally wiped out.

It's such a shame you can't board and capture these for your fleet.

radiator

OK, so a few weeks on I'm prepared to take back some of the nasty things I said about Assassin's Creed 4. I still think it's a problematic, often sloppy, game - my issues with the controls and mechanics still stand, and I think the story is preposterous, pretentious nonsense. In addition, I think the game is too sprawling to the point of getting repetitive. In hindsight I would have preferred a shorter, tighter game. There were so many 'infiltrate this base' type missions that by two thirds of the way through I almost entirely gave up on stealth and was just playing it as a straight brawler, which becomes a viable option once you have the necessary health and pistol upgrades. Restarting the mission every time you get spotted - which often happens through no fault of your own - is just way too much of a drag.

Having said all that, I enjoyed parts of it immensely. A Shaolin says, the pirating/exploring stuff gets really fun and compulsive. The ship combat is great, and the overall progression of your pirating career is satisfying. Using the mounted cannon to successfully 'board' an enemy ship having never set foot off your own, or swinging across from the main sail never fails to put a big grin on my face. In some ways it reminds me of Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts - another game that buried its genuine brilliance under 10 hours of frustrating tedium.

Overall the experience was far too uneven to say that I loved it and I doubt I'll ever play another AC game as it was the side stuff and the particular setting that most appealed. So, no, this isn't the open-world pirate masterpiece of my dreams, but there are definitely parts of it that come close.

As for those bastard Legendary ships, I've taken out the easy (bottom right) one and another - I think the bottom left, but am still struggling with the other two (the one with the mahoosive ram and the 'twin' Man O' Wars). I'm convinced I can take the rammy one once I have fully upgraded my Fire Barrels - neglected them so far as they're next to useless for the most part, but it seems retreating while laying barrels and firing mortar is the only way to beat him.

I've also been dabbling in Fire Emblem: Awakening (which I'm sure is great but so far I'm finding utterly  baffling) and Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon, which is a slick little treat. I'm actually shocked at how good the graphics are - above and beyond what I considered possible on the 3DS.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: radiator on 05 February, 2014, 08:27:40 PM
I've also been dabbling in Fire Emblem: Awakening (which I'm sure is great but so far I'm finding utterly  baffling) and Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon, which is a slick little treat. I'm actually shocked at how good the graphics are - above and beyond what I considered possible on the 3DS.

Still not played Fire Emblem Awakening but I loved the downloadable demo. Tiny Tips says it's all about getting the characters luvdup.

Luigi's Mansion 2 is all sorts of great.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Bat King

I played the Firefly Board game yesterday. I won!!!

Very playable, very customisable. I highly recommend.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Link Prime

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 05 February, 2014, 09:05:26 PM
Luigi's Mansion 2 is all sorts of great.

Still haven't picked this up yet...I really have to remedy that.

JamesC

Radiator - glad to hear you got something out of AC4 in the end (even if it wasn't quite the experience you were hoping for).

Oh, and Luigi's Mansion 2 - another one for my 'To Play' list. I was a big fan of the original - very fun game.

radiator

So much pressure on Nintendo to move onto smartphones and tablets at the moment, but I for one hope they keep doing what they're doing - apps have their place, but I'm happy to keep paying £30 for really substantial, quality titles like Zelda and Luigi's Mansion - there's still nothing on the App Store that comes within light years of that level of quality and polish.

Theblazeuk

Just started GTAV. Hello...

GrinningChimera

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 07 February, 2014, 05:45:34 PM
Just started GTAV. Hello...

We might see you next week maybe then... :D

Theblazeuk

Already lots and lots of fun. Los Santos is more fun to drive around than Liberty City

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Bat King on 06 February, 2014, 02:12:12 AM
I played the Firefly Board game yesterday. I won!!!

Very playable, very customisable. I highly recommend.

Interesting, is it like an adventure-style boardgame?

Bat King

Yeah you travel the 'verse picking up crew & jobs and getting in trouble. it is for 1 to 4 players. Yes 1, there are solo rules.

If I owned the set I'd do a review with photos n such but it is a mate's.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Bat King on 07 February, 2014, 10:53:57 PM
Yeah you travel the 'verse picking up crew & jobs and getting in trouble. it is for 1 to 4 players. Yes 1, there are solo rules.

If I owned the set I'd do a review with photos n such but it is a mate's.

Boardgamegeek will help with the photos, thanks for the description.