Main Menu

Whatever Happened to....?" (Floppy included with Meg 388)

Started by JoFox2108, 17 September, 2017, 03:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoFox2108

Generally I found this floppy to be quite a mixed bag. 

Tweak
I loved this story.  Some stories, some art, some music just does it for you and Pat's story here was one of those for me.  It's got a great set up and is also a really excellent commentary  on the kinds of things we humans do.  There were some brilliant laugh out loud moments too which had me reading the comic to my son.  I found the ending both surprising and very satisfying.  Just a great job!
The art by Chris Weston was excellent - clear, interesting and dynamic.  I particularly liked the panel where our female lead is imagining a 'spiritual and prosperous' future.  It had great impact, leaving me feeling appaulled at her blindness and selfishness.

Maria
I struggled with the origins part of this story.  It just felt like a horrible retcon to me but maybe there were elements of this in previous Dredd stories I've not read yet.  There were some great funny bits as Dredd describes Maria and we see in the artwork the reality of the things he's saying.  The art by Graham Manley was brilliant - interesting, funny and spot-on for the story.

Giant
I always liked Giant as a character so it was nice to see him remembered but this tale seemed a bit dull to me.  The art was good, clean and clear although I would like to have seen a bit more 'movement' in it.

Cookie
It was interesting to see what happened to Cookie.  I kind of assumed he was decommissioned permanently by Chopper.  The twist at the end seemed a bit inevitable but was fitting and fairly OK.  Roger Langridge's art was fairly good - too cartoony for my taste but still clear and appropriate to the story.

Conrad Con
I enjoyed this story but really struggled with the art which was too stylized for clear reading. I'm not against stylised art, I think it can be great e.g. Jock's work on Lenny Zero had a grungy cyberpunk feel but it didn't lose readability and I think this work does.  Adding some grey tones to the art might have helped pick characters out from the background a bit more and made the curly broken line style better.  Gordon Rennie's story was a good read apart from that.

Gribligs
This was another great story from Gordon Rennie with an interesting subtext about people who deviate from the norm.  The Griblig language and translation boxes gave it a bit of humour.  The art by Steve Roberts was simple but well done.

Melda Dreepe
Nice little story by Alan Grant with an ironic twist.  Decent art again by Steve Roberts. 

Alec Trench
This was another Alan Grant story beautifully drawn by Robin Smith.  It kind of breaks the fourth wall, being about a writer stuck in a comic but I don't think it was that great.  The whole thing was kind of incestuous, like having a TV show about making a TV show.

What if Cassandra Anderson hadn't become a Judge?
This story had some more lovely art by Robin Smith but seemed a bit weak on the story side.   I don't imagine Anderson, even a failed Judge Anderson, acting in the ways she does in this story.  It just seems out of character.

So, generally some truly great stories mixed in with some less than great stories.  Whatever happened to Tweak by Pat Mills and Chris Weston stood out for me as the best story and the best art.
QuoteIt's all a deep end.

dweezil2

Yeah, that Tweak story is an amazing piece of work!
I would love for Pat to revisit the character someday, as I have expressed to him.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Richard

That Tweak story is excellent, and deserves to be included in reprint volumes of The Cursed Earth.

I like that Giant story. Not every story has to have explosions and shoot-outs, and this one is a nice homage to a character from prog 1.

That Anderson story is a piece of shit, pointless and clearly no effort went into it. What would really have happened if Anderson hadn't been a judge is either the Apocalypse Squad wouldn't have been able to get the codes to launch the missiles against East Meg One and so they'd have lost the war, or else Dredd wouldn't have known how to defeat the Sisters of Death in Necropolis and that would have been the end of the city. Which would have been a much more interesting read.

JoFox2108

Quote from: Richard on 17 September, 2017, 07:18:38 PM
What would really have happened if Anderson hadn't been a judge is either the Apocalypse Squad wouldn't have been able to get the codes to launch the missiles against East Meg One and so they'd have lost the war, or else Dredd wouldn't have known how to defeat the Sisters of Death in Necropolis and that would have been the end of the city. Which would have been a much more interesting read.

Absolutely!
QuoteIt's all a deep end.