Main Menu

dinosaurs on a spaceship

Started by The Monarch, 08 September, 2012, 08:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Jameson

Has anybody else had a problem watching this on iPlayer? I've tried on two different devices but no joy. It's there on screen but won't let me watch. Never had that before.

JamesC

Quote from: Light Surfer on 09 September, 2012, 09:02:27 AM
Has anybody else had a problem watching this on iPlayer? I've tried on two different devices but no joy. It's there on screen but won't let me watch. Never had that before.

Just watched it on iPlayer on Xbox with no problems.

Thought it was an alright episode but I prefer the more serious stories to these silly ones.

Greg M.

I imagine for, say, an eight-year-old viewer, that would've probably been a pretty exciting episode. And there's nothing wrong with that. Didn't do much for me though - in fact, it came close to giving me a bit of a headache. Too much, too fast, lots of sound and fury, signifying little. I'd've done it without Nefertiti / Riddell entirely, so we could have had more focus on Rory's dad. As for Matt Smith - on the one hand, I thought he underplayed it on occasion rather well, but I might've liked a steelier response to the death of the triceratops: compare it with Eccleston's response to the death of the pig in 'Aliens of London', where he really sold how angry and upset it made him. (Though in fairness, Smith's response was still miles ahead of how Tennant typically mishandled those sorts of scenes - unconvincing shouting ahoy.)

Tiplodocus

A rather over egged pudding for me.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

von Boom

Steve Green

Really didn't need the two extra companions, quite liked M+W just because bickering robots made me want to see a live action Ro-busters.

Cthulouis

Last season I found I had reached the point in my life where I couldn't object to love being a metaphysical cure-all in this idealistic fantasy world.

This season I have reached the point where I can't waste brain power on worrying about the erratic morality of the Doc himself. A man who rides around in a stolen ship and kills all who oppose him, often in units of species, objecting to a pirate killing the crew of a single spaceship? Er, sure, whatever. 

I enjoyed this episode a lot.

Mardroid

Quote from: Tim Tailz on 08 September, 2012, 08:39:52 PM
Poor Tricey.   :'(

[spoiler]I thought that was pretty brave including that scene! I was a bit shocked, I wonder how some of the kiddies reacted? (I know dinosaurs being killed is actually fun for a lot of kids, but they turned Tricey into a big puppy!)
[/spoiler]
I don't intend that as a criticism. I admire their balls! (Insert joke innuendo here...)

Anyway, I enjoyed that episode a lot. And the robot designs, silly characters though they were. Not that that's a bad thing.  [spoiler]I really liked the Siurian ark concept. [/spoiler]

Mudcrab

So was the fact that the Doctor [spoiler]didn't appear in the pirate dude's database[/spoiler] just a coincidence or did it [spoiler]use cloud services rented from the Daleks, hence his non-appearance? Is Oswin's influence stretching further than just the Daleks?[/spoiler]
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mudcrab on 13 September, 2012, 04:59:13 PM
So was the fact that the Doctor...

Almost no one is supposed to think he's alive/exists any more, the Daleks were an exception... but not any more.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 September, 2012, 05:09:18 PM
Almost no one is supposed to think he's alive/exists any more, the Daleks were an exception... but not any more.

That's what I thought to begin with, but then realised there are two problems with that explanation.

[spoiler]Queen Nefertiti was in the database despite having died three and a half thousand years ago,[/spoiler] and The Doctor's a time traveller.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: M.I.K. on 13 September, 2012, 07:02:45 PM
That's what I thought to begin with, but then realised there are two problems with that explanation.

Three problems... the third being that you're thinking about this waaay too much. :-)

(I know that's a glib answer, but I honestly don't mind plot holes as long as they pass by fast enough and don't de-rail the plot entirely. Or indeed, announce themselves and then jump up and down waving their utter stupidity in your face, a la RTD.)

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Charlie boy

The Dr faked his death with the help of a time traveling police force of some kind. Maybe they've helped out when it comes to official records. His smile when he came up as unknown could also imply he's been doing something along those lines. If he HAD been recognised, Solomon would surely have been interested in the money he could have made from the last Time Lord and the story would have had to go down an entirely different route.

Mudcrab

Ah, right enough, I forgot about him being dead  ::)

It's a job keeping track of Doctor Who these days. Splendid stuff.

Cheers all.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

O Lucky Stevie!

We're 6 & a half days behind here in Auxtralia &...

...let's just say that Doctor Who meets the Flinstones hasn't altered Stevie's opinion of Chris Chibnal writing one jot.

Quote from: Mardroid on 10 September, 2012, 12:48:32 AM
Quote from: Tim Tailz on 08 September, 2012, 08:39:52 PM
Poor Tricey.   :'(

[spoiler]I thought that was pretty brave including that scene! I was a bit shocked, I wonder how some of the kiddies reacted? (I know dinosaurs being killed is actually fun for a lot of kids, but they turned Tricey into a big puppy!)
[/spoiler]

The poor little darlings were doubtlessly still too  from the [spoiler]time totty torture / Dalek conversion sequence[/spoiler] in last week's to have noticed.

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 08 September, 2012, 09:47:44 PM

Still judging by early reaction seems like I'm just being a miserable grump so I'll shout up.

What's the point of having  dinosaurs in it but no one gets devoured, right?

Quote from: Mardroid on 10 September, 2012, 12:48:32 AM
[spoiler]I really liked the Siurian ark concept. [/spoiler]

You know, if Who were going to do [spoiler]their own high wire martial arts extravaganza [/spoiler][spoiler] then a Silaurian generation ship[/spoiler][spoiler] combined with the return of [/spoiler][spoiler] Madam Vastra[/spoiler][spoiler] –-a reptilian Rendezvous With Rapier, so to speak-- [/spoiler][spoiler] would have been just the ticket.[/spoiler]
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"