Main Menu

Prog 2066 - Bors Hunt!

Started by A.Cow, 27 January, 2018, 11:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Proudhuff on 02 February, 2018, 04:04:46 PM
I think he gets the modern Dredd and knows how to tell a great tale.
Just thinking this current story is a bit off...

QFT

I don't think Mike gets it right all the time,  and he does have a tendency to hand centre stage to new supporting characters,  but he's so far ahead of many non-Wagners that I'm more than happy to overlook the odd dud.  Up there in the Top 5 for me.

DrJomster

Just read the Prog...

Then digested this thread...

I can see why it's generating discussion.

So in a nutshell...

ABC Warriors win the Prog for me. I do wish the current sale extended to digital. *sighs*
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Trout

I'm enjoying this Dredd story, and Brass Sun is a treat every week.

TordelBack

Dredd improves for me his week,  although I don't think Davidson,  Blythe and snow'n'ice are a particularly successful mix.
Brass Sun remains my top thrill by some margin. Despite exploding cyborgs and Arthurian robots it feels almost like  TinTin this week, which is a Good Thing.

Savage and ABC Warriors are both individually fine*, but together there's just too much sophomoric wittering. One story I can happily accept as a bit of heavy-handed revisionism or broad social commentary,  but two feels like being stuck behind two know-it-all students on the last bus home.

And then we come to Bad Company.  Even though it's more glorious to the eye every week,  I've sadly come to the conclusion that I don't give two shakes about the story. Mac didn't lose his arm on Ararat, it was on that planet they recruited Sheeva. We may be learning (again) about the nature of truth,  by at the same time, why should I care about what happens to any of these amnesiac imposters,  running around a planet that blew up?

*Although again I'd note that characters like Joe,  Gottlieb and Ro-Jaws have lost their formerly distinctive voices.

Greg M.

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 February, 2018, 04:26:03 PM
We may be learning (again) about the nature of truth,  by at the same time, why should I care about what happens to any of these amnesiac imposters,  running around a planet that blew up?

It would be good to think that this is all some kind of meta-commentary on the vagaries of war, and since it's Milligan - my favourite comics writer ever, I should note - it's impossible to rule out entirely. However, I wonder if the truth is much more prosaic: he's just not that good at remembering his own continuity.  I seem to recall a key character's surname changing between issues of X-Statix, for instance, and there's also the well-known issue with De Racine's poisonous / non-poisonous blood. Obviously Thrax being alive is a deliberate choice, and I suspect we will get a proper explanation of that one eventually.

Big_Dave

paddykafka

Obviously Thrax being alive is a deliberate choice, and I suspect we will get a proper explanation of that one eventually.

Danny Franks wakes up, sees Thrax coming out of the shower and realises that everything that happened before was just a dream...