Main Menu

General Lettering Discussion

Started by Bolt-01, 07 August, 2009, 03:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 01 October, 2009, 10:15:32 AM
Recently came across the American spelling of "sulphur" can you guess?

That's right.

"SULFUR"

For funt's sake!

I haven't quite understood your 'problem' with Americans, Gloady. Seems every chance you get you're bagging on us for some silly reason. Penis envy?

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mike Gloady

New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

HdE

Oh dear LORD! That's DREADFUL lettering in the Twilight book!

And what's up with the transparent word balloons? That's always looked like a rookie mistake to me. It. Doesn't. Work.

I am consistently amazed at the low standards some folks sincerely believe are acceptable for lettering jobs.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Emperor

Insomnia's Martin Conaghan writes a bit on logo design (and goes into cover design too):

www.bleedingcool.com/2010/04/29/pond-life-by-martin-conaghan-2-ulterior-motif/

If anyone thinks logos themselves are worth a thread on their own then feel free to start one.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Jim_Campbell

New free font from Blambot, and it's a rather nice dialogue font, available in the usual Regular, Italic and Bold flavours:

Unmasked

Cheers!

Jim

briantm

To Jim & other letterers,

I was wondering, how do you manage all your fonts?

Do you use a font management program to keep the system/free/paid for/copyrighted fonts separate?

Or do you keep your system free of any fonts you can't use professionally?

I'm sure I've downloaded a random font or two and might not be able to find out their licenses anymore.  I'll probably need to reinstall my OS at some stage and start from scratch.

Brian

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: briantm on 04 July, 2010, 01:49:30 PM
Do you use a font management program to keep the system/free/paid for/copyrighted fonts separate?

I'll be honest, it's 16 years since I started working in print design, and I've never found a font management utility that didn't disrupt my workflow to the extent that any supposed benefits were completely outweighed.

QuoteOr do you keep your system free of any fonts you can't use professionally?

Basically, this.

I suspect that there are many legacy typefaces lurking on my HD that I yoinked from design jobs that crossed my desk over the years. Lettering fonts, however, are a small subset of the total number of installed fonts on this system, and I buy them one at a time, so I have relatively little trouble keeping track of them.

I have a very limited tracking system (beyond having receipts for the paid-for ones) which is that I only use the Username/Library/Fonts directory for anything I install and before I drop the fonts in there, I use the OSX Finder Labels to colour code bought fonts (purple) and free fonts (green).

All my free lettering fonts come from Blambot, so all I have to do is e-mail Nate if it looks like I'm going to use one on a commercial job and he sends me an invoice for a commercial license, which I pay through PayPal, and then change the colour coding of the font. Mars Police, for example, which I used for the logo on Turning Tiger, is free for non-commercial purposes, but I had to pony up thirty bucks to use it on a paying job.

Cheers!

Jim

Richmond Clements

Quotewhich I used for the logo on Turning Tiger,

Oh my! That looks like an excellent book!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 04 July, 2010, 06:42:39 PM

It does indeed. Everyone should check out the ebook version linked above for a cracking good read. Part Two is, I'm led to believe, fairly imminent.

Cheers!

Jim

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 July, 2010, 07:16:19 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 04 July, 2010, 06:42:39 PM

It does indeed. Everyone should check out the ebook version linked above for a cracking good read. Part Two is, I'm led to believe, fairly imminent.

Cheers!

Jim

Yup- I sent my afterword and the rather lovely forward from a Big Name last week.

Colin YNWA

I have no idea of now right or wrong this is, or indeed if it says anything new, I'm quite sure there's a few folk round here that know more about this than than me BUT might be of interest?

From The Beat the thoughts of Bryan Lee O'Malley on lettering

http://www.comicsbeat.com/2010/07/07/omalleys-lettering-lessons/

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 July, 2010, 08:26:11 PM
I have no idea of now right or wrong this is, or indeed if it says anything new, I'm quite sure there's a few folk round here that know more about this than than me BUT might be of interest?

Absolutely agree with all of that. In fact, it's one of the key things to look for as a letterer -- where does the reader's eye need to go, and does the eye naturally follow that path. If it does, make sure your balloon placement doesn't bugger that up; if not then can the balloon placement draw the reader's eye regardless?

We actually touched on this here.

Cheers!

Jim

chaingunchimp

joe kubert.
One of the best fonts out there for non special fx comic work.
Expensive but worth it
just too metal

my blog: http://chaingunchimp.blogspot.com/

For awesome original art by top comic creators please visit:

http://berserkercomicart.com/

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: chaingunchimp on 08 July, 2010, 04:07:33 PM
joe kubert.
One of the best fonts out there for non special fx comic work.
Expensive but worth it

I have Joe Kubert, but anywhere I would have used it, I've taken to using Blambot's Hometown Hero instead because it has a similar feel and more extensive auto-ligatures for swapping out double letters. I have to admit, I'm mainly just a sucker for the double T...

Cheers!

Jim