Main Menu

Genre for Japan: a plea for help to all creators...

Started by HOO-HAA, 21 March, 2011, 04:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

That's brilliant Jim, thanks! The script's on the Jikan Chronicles thread ( http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,31321.15/topicseen.html ) or email me if you'd like a MS Word version.

Ta!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

If any other artists would like a go at the Jikan script, just pick a page and do it - it's all for a good cause so different versions of the same page would add value to the auction. Especially if any droids would like to chip in...

Just a thought.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

HOO-HAA

Shark, it isn't actually me organising it, but I do have a contact address. Let me check that it's good to give out and I'll pass it to you:

(From the website: http://genreforjapan.wordpress.com/who-we-are/):

"Genre for Japan" is a small collective of genre fans: both readers and professionals. We know from our involvement in the SFF scene that it's a generous, friendly community.

This is our chance to extend that generosity to the people of Japan.

Amanda Rutter is a book reviewer and a keen supporter of the genre community. She has been involved in blogging since Jan 2010, and works with Tor.com, Morrigan Books, Angry Robot, Hub Fiction, Fantasy Literature and Vector magazine.

Louise Morgan is a horror and fantasy writer. She is a member of – and interviewer for – the British Fantasy Society and sat as part of the "Best Newcomer" panel for the 2010 British Fantasy Awards.

Jenni Hill is the Junior Editor for science fiction, fantasy and horror publishers Solaris Books.

Ro Smith is a writer, reviewer, proof reader, copy editor, part-time PhD student, and blogger at In Search of the Happiness Max.

Alasdair Stuart is the editor of Hub Fiction and the host of Pseudopod. A writer, journalist, editor and podcaster, Alasdair is both passionate and highly knowledgeable about genre fiction – whatever the flavour.

Robert Mulligan is a graphic designer and photographer. He designed the Genre for Japan logo.

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, Hoo.

I was thinking of getting allthe pages posted to me then I can send the whole bundle off to whoever's organizing the auction. Or I could just auction it off myself on ebay and send the money to the charity in question.

I'm just making this up as I go, so if anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

HOO-HAA

You're a star, Shark! And it's all cool - I think everyone's making it up as they go along: that's part of the beauty of something like this! :)

I've sent a link to this thread to the organisers and asked them to advise us - I would imagine they'll say that you should send the completed comic directly to the winning bidder, but will finalise that with you.

Meanwhile, I would suggest all those volunteering get stuck in! :)

HdE

Dammit - I'd LOVE to pitch in on this. But present circumstances and my schedule prevent me.

I really hope this is a blast for everybody.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

The Legendary Shark

Jim - would you like to do the titles as well?

If so, you'll need to liaise with CrazyFoxMachine on P1 and El Chivo on P4. (Not quite sure how all this is going to work out exactly, yet as I'm making this up as I go...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

HOO-HAA

Great to have Jim onboard with this!

It would be really cool to have another couple of droids onboard, of course... 

Daveycandlish

Glad to see this has so quickly been taken up - thanks to Shark for coming up with the idea and setting the ball rolling.

I'll do a variant page of page 2 if that's ok?

Any droids have the time to chip in to that one-off book idea? I'm damned sure I'll be bidding for it!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

The Legendary Shark

If there's any interest in the one-off book idea I'll start a separate thread because we won't get it finished for the 28th.

"I'll do a variant page of page 2 if that's ok?"

He's your character, Dave, so you can do anything you want!!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

HOO-HAA

GENRE FOR JAPAN have officially greenlit this idea, guys, with bidding to start at £25 for the finished product.

I'll let Shark spread the rest of what they had to say with you, but they're really excited by it!

Nice!

Emperor

Good work everyone, I've done what I can to spread the word.

I might as well highjack this thread to include a link to Japan Needs Heroes, a Kickstarter project to produce a comic book, with all proceeds going to those in need in Japane:

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1932174840/japan-needs-heroes
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

The Legendary Shark

Deadline for Jikan: Flood art to reach me: March 31st (a week tomorrow). (Forget the lettering for now, post me the art then I'll scan it and get Jim to do his magic later...)

Still no droids on board yet - I'm sure they're just biding their time 'til they pounce... ;)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 23 March, 2011, 12:35:47 PM
(Forget the lettering for now, post me the art then I'll scan it and get Jim to do his magic later...)

Sorry for the late reply -- having a manic week. Yeah -- titles, credits, logos, whatever are also fine...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]